Electro Voice E-V Four

66chevyIISS
66chevyIISS Posts: 857
edited April 2011 in Vintage Speakers
Sorry these aren't polks.

These were my parents and they got em in the late 70's I believe. They still work great, but I don't know much about em. Are they worth hanging on to? I don't even know what size speakers are inside them. Are they worth anything to collectors?

Here is a couple pics:
Front side

Back side
My Home Theater (WIP):
Panasonic AE900 Projector - 126" screen, XBOX 360, Pioneer BDP-320 Bluray
Receiver: Denon AVR-1905
Fronts: RTi6's, Center: CSi5, Surrounds: RTi4, Rears: Denon
Dual Subs: PSW202, and behind the couch Denon 8"

My showcase link:
Media Room pics
Post edited by 66chevyIISS on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited March 2007
    Pull the back off of one, and let's see what's inside. Some EV drivers will bring a fair amount of coin, some aren't worth messing with.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • 66chevyIISS
    edited March 2007
    Here is a picture of the inside.

Inside pic

woofer
    My Home Theater (WIP):

My showcase link:
    Media Room pics
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited March 2007
    The horn might be a T-20, worth maybe $30 each. The mid - no guesses here. The woofs are SP12's, and in good condition, as yours appear to be, can bring between $100 and $200 a pair.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • 66chevyIISS
    edited March 2007
    wow!!! my mom almost sold these at a Garage sale for $25 a couple years ago! They really sounded good so I grabbed them thinking I would use them some day. The wife thinks they are ugly so I never used them. I might have to part ways and use the money towards some new polks. :)

Thanks for the info!
    My Home Theater (WIP):

My showcase link:
    Media Room pics
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,586
    edited March 2007
    Well it's not really an SP12B (which is what Russ probably meant), but it's the same (cast) basket. Not bad drivers, but not the top-end EV drivers. FWIW, the SP12B is a fullrange driver, and the massive SP12 was also a fullrange with a huge AlNiCo magnet. The earlier version of the 12" woofer was called the EV 12BW (used, e.g., in the Esquire three-way); I am not sure what the one in your Fours was called.

You can download the original product documentation ofr the EV Four from the Telex/Electrovoice website, but the site is down at this moment so I cannot post the specific link to the PDF. I'll add it later if you want.

EDIT: Crud, it looks like they only have the data for the later EV4A. Here's the main link to their legacy documentation, if you wish to hunt around yourself.
    http://archives.telex.com/archives/EV/

BTW, here's a photo of the SP12 (from Oak Tree Enterprises):

EV_SP12_Chrome_Dual-Cone_Woofers_web.jpg

Here is the later version of the SP12B. You'll notice the similarity of the basket to the woofers in your Fours.

03-17180-21678b.jpg

EDIT: FWIW, here's the original version of the EV SP-12B basket. I have this one in a Karlson kabinet :-)
    The basket of the EV 12BW was identical to this one.

P3190019.jpg
    P3190020.jpg
  • 66chevyIISS
    edited March 2007
    Thanks for the link. I will see what I can dig up.

My drivers look the same as these that just sold today on ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/EV-ELECTRO-VOICE-12-INCH-WOOFERS-12BW-FROM-EV-FOUR-PR_W0QQitemZ280097132907QQcategoryZ50597QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Do you think these speakers are worth more as a set? or should I canabilize them to part em out?
    My Home Theater (WIP):

My showcase link:
    Media Room pics
  • ArchieType
    ArchieType Posts: 1
    edited April 2011
    Thanks for the link. I will see what I can dig up.

My drivers look the same as these that just sold today on ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/EV-ELECTRO-VOICE-12-INCH-WOOFERS-12BW-FROM-EV-FOUR-PR_W0QQitemZ280097132907QQcategoryZ50597QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Do you think these speakers are worth more as a set? or should I canabilize them to part em out?

Hi All,

I realize this is a three year old post, and as you can see, I have just joined this forum.:redface:Hope you don't think me rude for barging in.

You see, I have a pair of these same speakers that I bought to restore - and just found one of the midrange drivers is blown.

I am wondering if you still have these - and if you still want to part them out. I'd be interested in one or both mids if you do.

Oh yeah - you might notice that my woofers have different baskets than yours.

Thanks

Arch
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,586
    edited April 2011
    Pretty sure that the midrange is the horn and the cone driver is the tweeter - which of yours is out?

Either way, there were auctions for one of each on... well... a popular on-line auction site... that just started a couple of days ago.

I "sold" the pair of Fours that I (briefly) had for the price of the two cheap-jack replacement MR horn/drivers I'd put in (one had been missing in the pair that passed through my house)... $15.