New Polks versus Old Polks

1235»

Comments

• Larry Chanin
    Larry Chanin Posts: 601
    edited September 2002
    Hi All:

Getting back to the original question, " New Polks versus Old Polks", I would like to ask a straight-forward and uncontroversial question.

I've got a pair of SDA-1Cs that I bought new about 13 or more years ago. To my untrained ears they sound great, but I've often wondered if just the shear age might cause the sound to degrade over time. For instance, could the electronic components degrade over time causing the crossovers to drift away from the original specification?

Thanks in advance.
  • TheOneRod
    TheOneRod Posts: 44
    edited September 2002
    Hmmmm

I've never heard of a crossover drifting with age. I have seen trim controls and switches go funky and of course the speaker surrounds dry rotting away.

Anyone have ideas?
    "Watch out for snakes!"
    Tom Servo
  • trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited September 2002
    I too wonder about the age of speakers.
    All things mechanical eventually wear down.
    I'm thinking about the drivers, especially since they do the most work.
    Millions of pulsations over the years adding up.
    Does the speaker material, and supporting rubber harden or fatigue to the point of not being accurate any more?

-Luc
  • tony27
    tony27 Posts: 49
    edited September 2002
    i'll say the older polks. they have larger woofers than the lsi series. large woofers should be used to enhance bass.
  • SAMBO
    SAMBO Posts: 4
    edited September 2002
    i have 10b and they are wonderful and have been for many many years. my friends have high dollar brands and mine still sound cleaner and they have said so, polk did a good job building these babies
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited September 2002
    Originally posted by trubluluc
    Millions of pulsations over the years adding up.
    Does the speaker material, and supporting rubber harden or fatigue to the point of not being accurate any more?

-Luc

I know that a lot of car subwoofers end up becoming boomy instead of tight. The surrounds simply degrade to the point where they allow the speaker to move much more than when new, and also don't return them to their idle position as fast. Hence... a longer travel time and loose bass. But my 17 year old 5JRs still sound good. Of course, i don't know what they sounded like new, 'cause I wasn't born yet :-)

DooD
    Ludicrous gibs!