Front speaker selection recommendations?

Options
DEvans
DEvans Posts: 8
edited August 2002 in Speakers
I'm moving my old stereo system from the den to a larger living room to take full advantage of my Polk SDA CRS speakers.

The problem is front speaker choices for the den. I have a HK SVR120 receiver with surround sound (not the best, but at less than $200 new it's a cheap way to start on a surround sound system). I have a CSi30 center speaker, a PSW350 sub, and a 2 year old pair of RT25's in the rear (which I might change out later).

The room is tile floor with oak paneling with no surfaces for dampening. The front is a book self, with one side a wet bar from floor to ceiling. This means that I have no place for floor or in in the bookshelf speakers since the TV fits into a space that's right up next to the wet bar. Room is 16 x 18.

I have some room to mount speakers on the wall just below the ceiling (foward enough to allow wet bar folding door to open), but I worried about the bookshelf type being too big and standing out, but still considering them. Not sure if in ceiling type with the direction tweeter is also a possible option.

I do want the best sound possible, but I also know there will be trade offs. I'm not an expert by any means, just looking for help.

Dave
Post edited by DEvans on

Comments

• DEvans
    edited August 2002
    Options
    Sorry, but the AMP in my system is an AVR120, not SVR120 as stated above. Got in a hurry to post at work.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited August 2002
    Options
    How about a Bose Lifestyle System........just jerking your chain.
    Come on, somebody help this guy out!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited August 2002
    Options
    Without seeing what your working with.........maybe try another pair of RT 25's on the wall as you fronts with mounting brackets.
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • DEvans
    edited August 2002
    Options
    I had thought of another pair of RT25's, but they seem too large to place in front. I may move them to the other room with the SDA CRS speakers within the next year, so I'm not beyond going to a smaller speaker for the front now, then pick up another pair for the rear surround sound when I move the RT25's.

The part that I'm struggling with is knowing what type and size I need to match with the PSW350 and CSi30 speakers, since from what I've read, the front and surround sound speakers need to be set to small (bass filtered) in the AMP which may allow a smaller speaker. Is this OK for surround sound tracks, but impact two channel music too much? Still learning here.

Thanks for responding F1 and Nascar. My wife and I are big fans of F1 racing and also watch Nascar when their on the road courses.

Dave
  • nascarmann
    edited August 2002
    Options
    My wife and I are big fans of F1 racing and also watch Nascar when their on the road courses.

She-at man.......get youR oval track on! You need to check out Bristol next Saturday night....GOOD STUFF:D
  • DEvans
    edited August 2002
    Options
    OK Nascarman, I will admit that the racing on the big ovals is fun to watch, but I can't get into the smaller ovals.
  • nascarmann
    edited August 2002
    Options
    Give Bristol a chance next Saturday night.....great stuff I tell ya.....GREAT STUFF:cool:
  • F1nut
    edited August 2002
    Options
    0 to 100 in 3.4 seconds, 100 to 0 in 3.2 seconds!!!
    F1 RULES

Hell, I like all car racing including Nascar ;)

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited August 2002
    Options
    DEvans,
    Nice to meet another fan. Do you and your wife have a favorite team or driver?

President of Club Polk

• nascarmann
    edited August 2002
    Options
    0 to 100 in 3.4 seconds, 100 to 0 in 3.2 seconds!!!

Nope.....according to your spec's.....NHRA does......:lol:
  • F1nut
    edited August 2002
    Options
    Yes King, the specs are correct! I think for the NHRA it's 0 to 300 in 5.6 seconds (top fuel), of course they don't do well on ovals or road courses.

President of Club Polk

• DEvans
    edited August 2002
    Options
    My wife is a David Coultard fan LOL, and I've always pulled for Williams going back to the Nigel M. days. Not real favorites at this time and getting a little tired of the where does everyone else place behind Schumacher.

I'm amazed at how poorly the Jaguar team is doing once the Stewarts left. Lauda doesn't seem the right guy for that task.

OK 3.4 seconds and you have to turn!

Dave
  • F1nut
    edited August 2002
    Options

OK 3.4 seconds and you have to turn!

:lol::lol::lol:

Williams is my favorite team, has been along time. I thought JPM was going to be it this year, but the car/tires aren't quite there. Schumacher, got to give him credit, but really sick of him and his latch on fans. As much as Bill Ford says he likes racing you'd think Jaguar would be a contender, but they keep getting worse. I like Jordan too, he seems to be a bit of a rebel, like me. :D

President of Club Polk

• nascarmann
    edited August 2002
    Options
    F1 I know the spec's you quoted were correct. I do like F1 racing.....I like all racing. It just gets a little old over the past 12-15 years you have 3 teams that can win (Ferrari/McLaren/Williams) and as a rule there is one team each year that is superior to the other 2 and most of the time 1 of the 3 top teams will be having an off year. I also like to see more than 16-18 car in a race. Nascar puts 43 cars out there and any given race there are at least 20-25 cars capable of winning. F1 has never been able to put more than 3-4 cars (modern era) at a time that can win a race without a big wreck in the first turn that takes out the top cars. Like I said....I do like F1 but it doesn't have what Nascar does IMO?

Oh......0-332.18 in 4.477 sec. Bud King (2001) :D
  • F1nut
    edited August 2002
    Options
    Yeah, I know what you're saying, but it's more the nature of road course racing and the fact that F1 doesn't do full course yellows. I think CART probably has the most diverse events that level out the odds. Bottom line.....racing is racing and like you, I like at all.

President of Club Polk

• DEvans
    edited August 2002
    Options
    Well I picked up a pair of RTi28's for front speakers in the den today. Took all day to fabricate a mount to suspend them from the ceiling. They sound great and seem matched with the RT25's in the rear. One thing I did notice was how little power these speakers require.

Now to set up the SDA-CRS system in the living room.

Trans Am!!
  • F1nut
    edited August 2002
    Options
    The RT 25's must be a easy load, glad you like them.
    Trans Am...just went to the race here in D.C. a few weeks back, really enjoyed it. nascarmann likes the series too.

President of Club Polk

• nascarmann
    edited August 2002
    Options
    c3descorvette.jpg Oh ya........