SDA's

Options
F1nut
F1nut Posts: 49,794
edited August 2002 in 2 Channel Audio
It seems only right for my 250th post that I do it here in my home, the 2 channel forum. I love my SDA's!!!
That's all, you can go about your business now. :D
Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

Post edited by F1nut on

Comments

• nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited August 2002
    Options
    Congrats on 250.....now tell us more about your SDA's....:cool:
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • F1nut
    edited August 2002
    Options
    Thank you!

I've got some 2B's (not in use) and 2.3TL's, same as you. What more do you want to know. :lol:

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nascarmann
    edited August 2002
    Options
    What more do you want to know.

Anything you want to tell us......:D
  • F1nut
    edited August 2002
    Options
    Ok, they are big, bad and beautiful. I thought I was going to drop a nut getting them into the house and the effing cat attacked the right side panel of the right speaker.....anybody want a cat?
    Actually I've got the cat sorted out, I placed a golf ball sized pink and black soccer ball in front of the injuried speaker. I don't know why, but the cat is terrified of that little ball and will not go anywhere near it...works everytime!
    Back to the speakers, about the only thing I need now is more power.....mono blocks, when I can find some time for shopping.

President of Club Polk

• jdavy
    jdavy Posts: 380
    edited August 2002
    Options
    My sister has 4 cats and when I was home taking care of my Father, who is now deceased, her cats would use my SRS's at a clawing post. Arhh. Had fun with the grills. BTW two channel SACD sounds nice on these clasic speakers.:lol:
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited August 2002
    Options
    Need more power?
    Whats you running?I forget.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • F1nut
    edited August 2002
    Options
    I have my vintage 1998 Sony ES TA-N77ES amp & TA-E77ESD pre.
    It's about 200 wpc and it drives them ok, but I'm thinking mono blocks. I plan on testing a Conrad-Johnson 17LS pre with a pair of Bryston 7B-ST amps at 500 w each. The idea I had was that the tubes in the pre would mellow the SS amps. Any thoughts/opinions are welcome.

President of Club Polk

• nascarmann
    edited August 2002
    Options
    Conrad-Johnson 17LS pre with a pair of Bryston 7B-ST amps at 500 w each

She-at.......I'm getting an erection.................................................
  • F1nut
    edited August 2002
    Options
    That's more than I needed to know! :rolleyes:

President of Club Polk

• nascarmann
    edited August 2002
    Options
    It all under control now:cool: Oh no.......Bryston mono's.....BOING!
  • F1nut
    edited August 2002
    Options
    Oh Jeez....:lol::lol::lol:

President of Club Polk

• nascarmann
    edited August 2002
    Options
    Oh ya......7B-ST Monoblock
    The 7B ST power amplifier is of the bi-monaural construction. It means that everything, which handles the analog signal, is totally separate for each channel (two power transformers, two rectifiers, independent capacitors). Why is everything doubled in the monaural amplifier? I will explain later.
    If the amplifier does not have separate power transformers, it is not dual-mono, as is often quoted i.e. on Sony or as my colleague **** wrote in the Accuphase P450 review. Bi-monaural is not also the amplifier with the separate secondary windings on the power transformer.

It is important to emphasize the advantages of the hi-monaural construction. When the audio signal is reproduced, the power output modulates the DC voltage of the power supply. If the power supply is common for both channels, this modulation is transferred to the other channel and vice versa. The result is higher cross-talk and subsequent deterioration of the localization of the sound images. A bit better solution is the aforementioned use of separate transformer windings for each channel. You can easily recognize this type of amplifier by two pairs of capacitors and two rectifiers in the power supply. If the amplifier has only two power supply capacitors, you cannot speak about bi-monaural construction at all (P-450).
    Bryston 7B-ST is a monaural amplifier, which enables two modes of usage. The first one is described by the manufacturer as Serial, which is only a different description of the usual bridged configuration. In this mode, the two amplifier sections are driven by the signal in opposite phase and the load (speaker) is connected between them. The second mode, Parallel, enables the paralleling of both modules for much higher current delivery. It means that the amplifier will be able to work into substantially lower load impedance.
    7B-ST is basically the modification of the already tested 4B-ST. The major difference is, that it is permanently connected for mono operation (serial or parallel, see above). The second pair of input terminals on the back is therefore missing. The input is switchable for non-symmetrical (gold plated RCA) or symmetrical (XLR/Jack - Neutrik) connection. The outputs are five way binding posts with gold plated contacts. Between them is the isolation ridge which prevents the short-circuit by bare wire. Nice touch. The power cord is three-prong, the component therefore works in Safety Class I. But, it is possible to disconnect the working ground of the amplifier from the chassis using the switch on the back. The ground is not disconnected completely, but through the 10 Ohm resistor, which is sufficient for the elimination of ground loops possible when connected to other equipment working in the Class I. Using the usual "cheater" plug is much more dangerous.
    The amplifier modules, placed vertically on their heat-sinks, are connected to the power supply via heavy-duty PCB connectors. The power transistors are handmatched, each driver - output pair is handled as a composite output element in the "Quad-complementary" configuration.
    Worth to mention is the clipping indicator on the front panel. The green LED, which indicates the power-on and normal operation, turns orange when approaching clipping and to red from 1 dB in clipping and up. The indication is very fast and accurate over the whole audio band. I would like to mention, too, that the entire amplifier is hand-soldered, which is at the price and "Made in Canada" quite unusual.
  • F1nut
    edited August 2002
    Options
    BOING!!!

President of Club Polk

• axeman
    axeman Posts: 170
    edited August 2002
    Options
    I AM NOT AGAINST CAT DEATH!!!!!

And you should not either after they defaced your SRS's.

Joe
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited August 2002
    Options
    Nascarmann did you stay at a Holiday Inn last night?
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited August 2002
    Options
    WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Ahem, F1....'bout them UNUSED 2B's......if you ain't going to use them how 'bout letting me borrow them??

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • nascarmann
    edited August 2002
    Options
    Nascarmann did you stay at a Holiday Inn last night?
    :lol: Copy and paste my brotha......
  • F1nut
    edited August 2002
    Options
    Troy,

You're funny...:lol:

Seriously, I'm going to let my dad use them. He has some Monitor 10's right now and likes them, but the folks were down for a visit and after they heard the SDA effect on the 2.3TL's I offered to give them the 2B's. I believe he'll move the 10's to the TV room and replace some small Advents. You know, it's nice to see my (elderly) parents still get exicted about audio equipment after all this time. You should have seen his eyes when I pulled off the grills!

Jesse

President of Club Polk

• TroyD
    edited August 2002
    Options
    Very cool man, VERY cool. It's always nice when you share common interests with your family.

BDT
  • F1nut
    edited August 2002
    Options
    You know I didn't think that they listened to music much anymore, but I quess I was wrong. My father in his younger years built his own turntable and mono tube amp. He had the original AR-1 speaker and as I remember it sounded pretty good. Of course that was more than four hours ago. :D
    Oh yeah, he's a Yammie fan too. (that's for you King Yam)

President of Club Polk

• nascarmann
    edited August 2002
    Options
    Smart man your dad.......smart man...:D
  • F1nut
    edited August 2002
    Options
    You have no idea....Doctorate in physics, consultant to NASA, the Pentagon, the aerospace industry....etc. All that and I hate math!

President of Club Polk

• nascarmann
    edited August 2002
    Options
    You have no idea....Doctorate in physics, consultant to NASA, the Pentagon, the aerospace industry....etc. All that and I hate math!

OK.....real freekin smart man your dad.....:lol:
  • TroyD
    edited August 2002
    Options
    yeah, a real freakin' rocket scientist...

BDT
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited August 2002
    Options
    After reading Nascarmann's reply... I have to wonder who the real rocket scientist really is here!

WOW!
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • F1nut
    edited August 2002
    Options
    Yep!

Now back to the topic at hand.....what was the topic? This thread has gone all over the place.

President of Club Polk

• HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited August 2002
    Options
    ...Ahh... Cats??????????? or something...
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited August 2002
    Options
    Speakng of cats, has anyone seen my 5 year old's kitten Hunter?
    He has left the yard and can not be found, made signs last night and we are offering a reward of $ 5.00 paid by my son. (I will how ever pay $10.00 to have take my other son's kitten Mittens, oh to be cat free again)
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • har_navalta
    har_navalta Posts: 957
    edited August 2002
    Options
    F1nut,

Instead of 7B ST... get the 14B SST and it will really drives
    you nuts.

Har
  • F1nut
    edited August 2002
    Options
    Har,

I looked at a 14ST, it seems to be two 7B ST's in one case. Same money for one 14 as two 7's. The dealer stated that Bryston made the 14 for people who didn't have the space for two 7's. What's your take on it?

President of Club Polk