PETERNG Posts: 918
edited August 2001 in Technical/Setup
Post edited by PETERNG on

Comments

• scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited August 2001
    Options
    Hello, some of those guys were on the same brain wave i'm on. I am now running 6.1 and that is where I stop. That is optimal for HOMEtheater. With the left and right FX500's on bipole at seating area, that 6th center rear provides a much needed void in sound. A couple of scenes in Gladiator it almost seems necessary.
    LATER:)
  • Larry Chanin
    Larry Chanin Posts: 601
    edited August 2001
    Options
    Yes, we're definitely getting to the point of diminishing returns. Now I hear there is speculation about adding a Height channel. There's not a lot of details on this new surround effect, but I believe the height speaker(s) would be mounted in the ceiling.

I'm still experimenting with a 6.1 set-up, but so far haven't got it to a point where it adds much to the 5.1 surround experience yet. When I upgraded my center and side surrounds instead of getting rid of them I mounted them in the rear of the room to support the back surround channel.

Since I have two rows of seating I've considered adding a second set of f/x side surrounds adjacent to each row, but its not a high priority upgrade.

Currently I've got 10 speakers (all Polks except the two subwoofers).

Larry's Home Theater

Larry
  • PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited August 2001
    Options
    Larry, cool system.... wow you still have the VSX-d1S... cheers...
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited August 2001
    Options
    Personally, I am not all that jazzed about going above 5.1 yet. I am far more interested into getting separate amps and preamp. That is FRONT burner....

more channels is BACK burner...I think the money in mosts cases could be better spent elsewhere.

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited August 2001
    Options
    5.1 is greatness, at least in my HT, 75% or heck, 90% of the movie is on the front speaks anyway....

Not doubting that its neat, and I'll go there someday...but I want better sources, amps, transports, etc....

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Larry Chanin
    Larry Chanin Posts: 601
    edited August 2001
    Options
    Originally posted by PETERNG
    Larry, cool system.... wow you still have the VSX-d1S... cheers...

Thanks.

Yes, I still have the old Pioneer VSX-D1S. The Vantas Surround processor extended its life by turning the Dolby Pro Logic system into a Dolby Digital 5.1 system. The SMART CS-3X Junior processor turns it into a 6.1 system, but I need to get more power to the back surrounds.

Troy and Russ, of course make an excellent point about upgrading the amps and sources first. I was going to upgrade the Pioneer to a Denon AVR-5800 receiver, but the more experienced folks at Mike's Polk SDA Club convinced me to start heading in the separates direction.

This was good advice particularly since my vintage Polk SDAs can benefit from more power than any receiver can provide. So I started purchasing used Parasound amplifiers. The Parasound HCA-1500A is now powering the SDAs in the front. I've got an other Parasound HCA-2003A being shipped as we 'speak'. Its a 3-channel amp that will be used to power the SDAs and the center channel. Then the HCA-1500A will then be reconnected to power the side surrounds. This will give me 205 watts @8 ohms going into each of the 5 channels, and each channel should have a peak current capacity of 60 amps. Then I can use the Pioneer's amps to power the back surround speakers.

As I mentioned earlier, I don't disagree with the approach of upgrading amps, sources and even speakers before moving on to multi-channel sound, especially if you listen to a lot of music. However, I found that the upgrade from Dolby Pro Logic to Dolby Digital 5.1 was equivalent in WOW factor to going from stereo to Pro Logic. It was very striking.

On the other hand, to be perfectly honest, so far my investment in back surround speakers and processors has not resulted in any perceivable improvement in the movie experience.

Larry