GXR6 help, surround hole and slight cone damage

Options
jcblitzs
jcblitzs Posts: 2
edited August 2002 in Troubleshooting
I just bought a set of GXR6's from somebody. The box is worn but he showed me one of the speakers before I bought them. It was still new in the wrapping. So I got it home and opened it up to find the other speakers had a rip in the surround!! Not only that, the cone was a little damaged. I tried to locate this guy again, but he basically disappeared. I still have all the registration cards and stuff like that, so I read over the "warranty agreement", I think I’m basically SOL. I wanted to know if there is anyway I can repair this myself and get it back to working order. I hooked both speakers up to test them, the one that was new sounds awesome, but the ripped one sounds like crap, obviously. Would a certain epoxy be able to repair it? I can take pictures of the rip and send them to the appropriate person so the can "analyze" what I need to do. Thanks.
Post edited by jcblitzs on

Comments

• burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited August 2002
    Options
    Moral of the story.. look at both speakers...

A few years ago I was installing car speakers and .. dammit.. hit the surround with a screwdriver. Didn't remove any material or make an actual hole.. but it tore it all the way through. I ended up putting just a little bit of silicone sealant on my finger, gently lifted one side of the tear, put a little on, then spread a little more over the entire tear on the top. I used a sealant than dried clear and flexible. Worked for me.

Can't address the tear in the cone itself. I would THINK that you could do something similar. Don't use a water-based glue/sealant or it could wrinkle the area around the repair (much like Elmer's glue will wrinkle paper). And I'd use as little as possible.

Maybe check out Parts Express or some other such place. I did a quick Google search on "speaker cone repair" and got a lot of hits on specialty shops that redo foam surrounds, etc. I've usually had good luck emailing private shops on other subjects and getting an honest reply.

For what its worth.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited August 2002
    Options
    Hello,
    Thanks for posting on the Forum. Most of the time that kind of problem occurs when the screwdriver slips as the speaker is being installed. I have heard of owners who use bicycle inner tube tire patching kits to place a small piece of rubber over the tear, I can't vouch for it's effectiveness, however. Probably the best thing to do is telephone me at 1-800-377-7655 extension 891 and I can offer a replacement at an accommodation price.
    Regards, Ken Swauger
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited August 2002
    Options
    Hats Off to POLK man!!!
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • jcblitzs
    jcblitzs Posts: 2
    edited August 2002
    Options
    Thanks. I'll give a call as soon as I can. I'm a huge polk fan, my whole car and home is polk, and this is a good reason why.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited August 2002
    Options
    No problem, glad to be of help.
    Take care, Ken