LSi9s & Denon 38002

paul schwartz
paul schwartz Posts: 9
edited August 2002 in Speakers
I'm thinking about purchasing a set of the LSi9's for use with my Denon 3802 receiver. Has anyone experienced any problems using these speakers with this receiver due to the impedence being at 4 ohms?
Post edited by paul schwartz on

Comments

• nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited August 2002
    No experience here, but one would think the Denon 3802 would drive them just fine. Of course one would like to have a nice amp to push them also....
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    edited August 2002
    paul,
    it will push them....the Denon doesn't like a 4 ohm load ,not to mention the sound quality just isn't there for these 2 to be matched up.If your considering a speaker upgrade,Id also consider a amp upgrade as well.
    The Lsi line really need's better amp's.
    To get going the Denon will work for now,but down the road,you'll see much is to be improved.....
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • mantis
    edited August 2002
    I can suggest the following upgrades for those speakers if seperates is out of the question.

1)B&K avr307.....it's going disco soon and you'll be able to get a great deal on one soon

2)Rotel rsx1065....an excellent choice for the Lsi.

3)Pioneer Elite vsx47 or 49tx.....both have plenty of power to run the Lsi line......well, sounds good mated together.

4)Marantz......sorry I fogot the model number of there flagship receiver,I have listened to alot of there receivers and I think they are one of the best sounding on the market.

Yamaha,Sony,Denon,Kenwood are receivers I don't care for running Polks.Sony I never heard mated though but as screwed up as they are.......I don't perfer them.

Id look around and demo......If you buy the lsi9's,Id take them around wiht you and see what you thing sounds the best and drives them safe.
    This list should get you going if not Land you the One!!!
    Dan
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited August 2002
    Dan,

In the past, I believe you have raved about the Denon/Polk combo.....Is it your opinion that they don't mate well with the LSi's?

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • mantis
    edited August 2002
    Yes ,
    the Denon has a hard time driving them.The sound stage falls on it's face.The Lsi series are a demanding speaker.No reason to drive them with a lower end receiver.I have ran the Lsi's on my Denon and they sounded good ,but something was just missing.
    I didn't talk about my speakers due to the fact I wasn't happy with them on the Denon.They still blew away my Rt1000p's for pure sound quality and a bunch of other things,but I was trying to get them to sound good.
    I went out and picked up a Rotel Pre amp and Amp dual mono design,As you all know I have been searching for new gear.DAMN the Rotel opened them up completely.I can't stop listening to them.I'm gonna post a real killer post in Speakers about all my demoing I ve been doing and how I ended up with the Lsi 15's over everything else.
    But to answer your question completely..the rt line sounds killer on Denon.The Lsi line does not.I own the Avr3801,which is entry level high end receiver for them.The Avr4802 or the Avr5803 might be better suited for the Lsi's..bUt I don't think so As the sound quality remains.
    Dan
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited August 2002
    I'd agree to that. I think the LSi's based purely on thier efficiency ratings, common sense would dictate they really need a good power amp.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • mantis
    edited August 2002
    You are correct.they do..they need current...not high watts but good drive and good power reserves.......makes all the difference in the world...they love it.
    Dan
  • paul schwartz
    paul schwartz Posts: 9
    edited August 2002
    Folks . . thanks for your input . . . I've decided to opt away from the LSi line and go with the RTi-100, CSi40, FXi30s and PSW450
  • mantis
    edited August 2002
    Your new speaker package should serve you well for many years.

I wish you well with the rti100's.
    The Denon will drive them really good.After you set it all up, give a post back Id like to hear your thoughts.
    Dan
    Dan
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited August 2002
    Since you are getting a PSW450, I would really lean towards getting the Rti70's. They have much more midrange, since they have two mid drivers. And they cost less!