RT55i in a floor speaker

rlightfoot
rlightfoot Posts: 87
edited August 2002 in Speakers
Been thinking about going to floor speaker setup even though I've been a bookshelf guy up to this point (28yrs).

I love my RT55i's but am looking for it's relative equivalent in a floor speaker. Bear in mind I run the cs245i for matching purposes.

Any suggestions (including approx price)?

rlightfoot (wanting to post as mrpackerguy, but snubbed by the polk webmaster)

Thanks in advance
"I want to change my username to Gordo, but Club Polk won't let me"
Post edited by rlightfoot on

Comments

• rlightfoot
    edited August 2002
    Here's the whole set-up

Denon 1802
    Toshiba 2705
    RCA 36"

Polk RT55i fronts
    CS245i center
    Velodyne CHT100
    Monitor 5j's surrounds
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited August 2002
    Read this thread for some good information:
    http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4661&highlight=RT55

If I were going to upgrade from my RT55's to a tower, I'd only look at one Polk speaker, the LSi15.

Aaron
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited August 2002
    Originally posted by rlightfoot
    I love my RT55i's but am looking for it's relative equivalent in a floor speaker.

To answer your question, the equivalent, would be the RT800i, or the new RTi70......

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited August 2002
    I second that in favor of the rti70.
    I know they changed the tweeter again but this time around,I think they made the rti70(800) a better speaker then last year.
    It looks different with the new cabnet and speaker grill,the Polk symbol is new, but the sound in my opnion is much better.
    Then again if your looking to move up in the world..the advice on the lsi 15's isn't bad advice at all.
    Now findiing what mates good with them is another story.....
    Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • rlightfoot
    edited August 2002
    Aaron:

Your link makes it sound like the 55's are the best thing this side of buttered toast.

No doubt I love 'em, but you know how you're always wanting the next best thing.....
  • RuSsMaN
    edited August 2002
    'They really show how far Polk has come in 10 yrs.....'

I LOVE that line..... tee hee.....

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Aaron
    edited August 2002
    Your link makes it sound like the 55's are the best thing this side of buttered toast. No doubt I love 'em, but you know how you're always wanting the next best thing.....
    I thought it was sliced bread.....but anyway, no, they're certainly not. They're better than the RT800 and RT12, though. Like I said before, if you're looking for a meaningful upgrade, look at the LSi line.

Aaron
  • Aaron
    edited August 2002
    'They really show how far Polk has come in 10 yrs.....'
    Blah, blah, blah. Ever listen to an RTA-11T?

Aaron
  • RuSsMaN
    edited August 2002
    Originally posted by Aaron

They're better than the RT800 and RT12, though.
    Aaron

In your opinion of course, right?
    Originally posted by Aaron
    Blah, blah, blah. Ever listen to an RTA-11T?

No, but I have listened to the RT55, and RT800.

Blah blah blah? What are you referring to, the link you posted? ;)

Cheers,
    Russ
  • Aaron
    edited August 2002
    In your opinion of course, right?
    Sure, but there does seem to be a lot of people that agree.
    No, but I have listened to the RT55, and RT800.
    Which, of course, means nothing with respect to my quote since you have no point of reference.

Aaron
  • RuSsMaN
    edited August 2002

I love my RT55i's but am looking for it's relative equivalent in a floor speaker.

Aaron, I refer you back to the original question.......
  • mantis
    edited August 2002
    All speakers arean opnion what sounds better.
    I like the way the rt11's sounded as well as the rt16's.Monitor10b's, sda 2b's,etc etc etc.
    There are many Polk's I don't care for....but as stated many times before ..it's a matter of opnion on what sounds good to you.

I will agree with the rt55's.They are one of if not the best overall sounding speaker in the rt line of past....very good...very good.
    Dan
    Dan
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited August 2002
    IMHO you will have to go to the LSi series to beat the RT55is. I have them and liked them better the the RT800i and like them better than my brief listening encounter with the RTi70. The LSi9 (bookshelf) would be my next upgrade although many prefer the LSi15 towers. I think the RT55i is one of Polk's outstanding efforts of the last few years (pre LSi).
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Aaron
    edited August 2002
    Aaron, I refer you back to the original question.......
    I'm trying to give a little value-added input here rather than just answering the question without regard to its context. You already answered the original question, to which the answer is the RTi70. The point I'm trying to make is, in my opinion, it's not worth it, especially if you're looking at the RT800i. I can't speak for the RTi70 vs. RT55i, but it sounds like it [RTi70] is a better speaker. (By how much, I don't know.) However, I still don't feel that it's worth the outlay of cash considering that he already has the RT55i's. I guess he could step up to the RTi100 powered tower (*shudder*), but you know how I feel about that. In my opinion, the only tower speaker worth getting, given the fact that he owns the RT55i's, is the LSi15. Get it? Great.

Aaron
  • RuSsMaN
    edited August 2002
    Bear in mind I run the cs245i for matching purposes.

Once again, I refer you to the original question. How exactly will the LSi series mate with his current center?

Get it? Great.

Cheers,
    Russ
  • Aaron
    edited August 2002
    Once again, I refer you to the original question. How exactly will the LSi series mate with his current center?
    Well ****! You got me there! In that case I would either keep the current setup or replace it with LSi15's and an LSiC. If he wasn't dead set on towers I'd suggest the LSi9's; they're quite a bit more affordable and a darn good speaker.

Aaron
  • mantis
    edited August 2002
    Lsi's and RT's don't mix well at all.The cs245i would have to go if he went lsi nay of them.
    This is just the evolution of upgrading.....it's starts with this and then that and now I need a better one of these'........now your broke........but happy.......untill the bank account fills back up.....then it starts all over again.....
    Dan
  • rlightfoot
    edited August 2002
    Thanks guys.
  • tony27
    tony27 Posts: 49
    edited August 2002
    how about the monitor 10's VS the rt55's?
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited August 2002
    Bank account fill up??????????? Not in my Family!!!

**** my wife just found a Yukon and is down at the dealership as I write this post. I AM shitting a big fat brick over here!
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited August 2002
    Nice ride though....tried to tell momma to get a Tahoe or Yukon but NO. She had to have that little sissy Blazer.....
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!