Bi-amping SDA's ?

nascarmann
nascarmann Posts: 1,464
edited July 2002 in Speakers
When you bi-amp the SDA's....do you need to run the AI-1 or is this just needed for mono blocks and bridged amps?
Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
Post edited by nascarmann on

Comments

• hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited July 2002
    Only for Mono block. If you ahve an extra AI-1 I will take it.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited July 2002
    King,

As long as the amps are the common ground type and are by the same maker (same specs) you don't need the AI-1. If in doubt about being common grounded check with the manufacturer. Make sure that you remove the jumpers on the speakers binding posts. Did you pick'em up already?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nascarmann
    edited July 2002
    If you ahve an extra AI-1 I will take it.

hoosier...I'm onlygetting one so I will need to hold on to it until I know for sure I won't need it.....:(

F1nut....looks like we are a go for Saturday? Not for sure on that though....:confused:
  • nascarmann
    edited July 2002
    As long as the amps are the common ground type and are by the same maker (same specs) you don't need the AI-1.

F1nut.....to follow up on this...they are the same. The best set-up would be one amp for left and one amp for right? This still looks like there is not a ground between the 2 channel? Am I not thinking right?
  • F1nut
    edited July 2002
    Ok, I'll do the best I can......

You use one amp for the high frequency and the other for the low.
    AMP 1 Highs - run a speaker cable from the amps right output (positive & negative) to the top inputs (pos. & neg.) of the right speaker. Run a speaker cable from the amps left output (pos. & neg.) to the top inputs (pos. & neg.) of the left speaker. You have now connected the high frequencies.

AMP 2 Lows - run a speaker cable from the amps right output (pos. & neg.) to the bottom inputs (pos. & neg.) of the right speaker. Run a speaker cable from the amps left output (pos. & neg.) to the bottom inputs of the left speaker. You have now connected the low frequencies.

MAKE SURE YOU REMOVE THE JUMPERS from the binding posts on the speakers before bi-amping.

Since both of your amps are the same (make sure they are the common ground type, most are) you will not need the AI-1. Hook up the pre/amp and source(s) and turn up the volume.
    Hope this helps.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nascarmann
    edited July 2002
    Yeah......I understand hooking it up either way. To me it looks like the best way to hook them up is to run L pre-out to one amp and use that amp to run the high and low freq for the left speaker. Do the same for the R side. I think then you would need to use the AI-1? Do you see what I mean? Amp A will run the left speaker and amp B will run the right speaker. Is this not the best way to set them up?
  • F1nut
    edited July 2002
    Originally posted by nascarmann
    Is this not the best way to set them up?

No, I dug out the Polk manual and they recommend setting it up like I posted. "In Polk We Trust"!

President of Club Polk

• nascarmann
    edited July 2002
    10/4 ON THE MANUAL......:D
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited July 2002
    Half of the fun (and most of the frustration) is trying it all the different ways.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • nascarmann
    edited July 2002
    Agree madmax....but I don't want to damage the speakers! Your input would be appreciated............;)
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited July 2002
    I've tried mine both ways. So long as you use the AI-1 with the SDA's while driving seperate channels (one amp driving left and another driving right) you wont damage anything. I wont say which is better because I keep trying them both ways. Each way is better in some aspects. So far I have not used the interface because my amps don't seem to have any potential difference between the grounds. I think.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D