jeep wrangler vs subwoofer

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited May 2010 in Car Subwoofer Talk
Anyone have any suggestions or tips as to how I could install a sub in the jeep, more importantly, how to keep it out of the weather and also prevent theft?

I do not wish to consider the pre-fab'd sub that mopar offers--to identifiable and easy to steal!
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited July 2002
    The best solution we found for Jeeps when I was in retail was to put them behind the back seat aiming down at the floor. Make sure the woofers are a few inches off the floor, and they can be aimed towards the front of the vehicle slightly. You should be able to fit (2) 10"s easily and (2) 12"s should fit with a little more carefull layout. One sub won't be a problem.

This way the woofers are less visible (only the top of the box can be seen) and they're protected form the elements (but I wouldn't recommend letting an MDF box get wet, either).
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited September 2002
    In addition to Thom's suggestion... I'd like to agree with it, and add this suggestion as well...

before "finishing" the box... you should give it one or two coats of a high quality wood preservative --- (i know it doesn't readily soak in, but give it a while and teh stuff sorta gets in there)... then give it two coats of some Minwax outdoor varnish. This will make the box pretty weather resistant. you can then carpet it to match the vehicle ... that way its not "very easy to see" or anything.

after that you should be able to drive around in a light drizzle and not worry about it --- (worry about your amps though... get electrical gear wet and you're in trouble).
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • ntculenuff
    ntculenuff Posts: 1,146
    edited September 2002
    try spraying the box with rihno lining or the tuff bed stuff it will make the box indestructable and weather proof...
    Speakers:
    Definitive BP7001sc mains
    Definitive C/L/R 3000 center
    Polk RT800i's rears
    Definitive supercube I Sub
    Audio:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010
    Emotiva XPA five Gen 3
    OPPO BDP-103 CD, SACD, DVD-A
    Video:
    Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
    OPPO BDP-103 Bluray
    Directv x's 2
  • Tonio18
    Tonio18 Posts: 1
    edited October 2002
    Well, what i did with my jeep, I have 2001 Hard top wrangler, was have the subs installed in the floor of my jeep. I had it cut out subs and all, and I have a plexi-glass covering so that it is visible, because I have neon rings around my subs, and it is impossible to steal, unless you feel likd jacking up a jeep and then taking about 4 hrs, the time it took to install, and steal the subs. It didn't cost that much and it looks so cool. I even have carpet cutouts that match my interior so when you look at the floor all you see is a neon ring and two gxr's hitting hard as hell!!!!! Or you could have the subs custom done to fit under the back seat of your jeep, and have an, amp housing placed under your seat, q-logic offers a custom box to do this, this is another good looking and sounding method. Good luck on your prob :D
  • pirata
    pirata Posts: 1
    edited May 2010
    Tonio18
    i am very curious as to how you installed the subs? do you have any pictures? any help would be great for myself and my jeep wrangler.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    edited May 2010
    Um, dude, that post is 8 years old. He's not going to answer you, genius.

What are you peddling, spammer?
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!