proper wiring for PSW350

buckey
buckey Posts: 2
edited August 2001 in Technical/Setup
I've just added a PSW350 sub to my surround system and would like to know the best way to connect it. My front speakers are RM series, the center is an RM series 2, and the surrounds are M series M3II's. What is the best way to connect, with the sub out on my Harmon Kardon 510 to the LFE input on the sub or to use the standard left/right speaker inputs on the sub? Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. I also want the sub included when playing CD's.
Post edited by buckey on

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited August 2001
    Hello Buckey,
    Welcome to the Forum. The goal is to provide smooth blending of the PSW350 with the RM satellite speakers. The satellite speakers are designed to reproduce sound to about 150 Hz (mid bass frequency). This means that the sub-woofer needs to reproduce sound up to this 150 Hz cutoff point. Most of the time the sub-out on your receiver is 80 or 90 Hz. If used, this would result in a miss-match, the sub-woofer not going high enough in frequency to match the 150 Hz low end of the satellites. With this in mind, we recommend providing the PSW350 with an un-filtered signal, one where no frequencies have been removed. If your receiver has a right and left pre-amp signal, then these connections can be used to the right and left line level inputs on the PSW350. If your receiver doesn't have these pre-amp outputs, then the right and left speaker outputs should be used. The speaker connections can come from the receiver's positive/negative speaker connections to the speaker level inputs on the PSW350. Then you can adjust the low pass filter setting on the PSW350 to the 150 Hz position. The transition from the bass frequencies to the satellites will be seamless. Blending a sub-woofer involves a little bit of careful adjustment. Someone, not familiar with your system, should believe that everything is coming from the satellites. They should never suspect that there's a sub-woofer anywhere about. Getting the frequency blended with the satellites is a very important part of this blending.
    I hope this is helpful information.
    Regards, Ken Swauger