PSW1200 auto/off/on

Options
jim v.
jim v. Posts: 25
edited February 27 in Clubhouse Archives
Is it better to leave the psw1200 sub in the auto mode or switch it on/off, I usually leave it on auto, but the other day I left it in the on mode, I was watching Platoon the sub barely got a workout not much low frequencies in this movie, but my sub's amp was hotter to the touch than usual to the point that I had to remove my hand from the fins, correct me if I'm wrong but if I leave it in the on it doesn't go in sleep mode until it detects info therefore it's constantly on and as a result runs hotter. Jim
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited August 2001
    Options
    Hello Jim,
    I try and recommend sub-woofer owners keep their units in the "auto" selection for day-to-day use. This way the bass amplifier will go into standby after there is not audio signal coming into the sub-woofer for about four minutes (other sub-woofers may have a 15 minute time "clock"). Then whenever there is an incoming signal the unit is instantly operational. If you are not going to be using your system for three or four days, you could select the "off" position.
    The heat sink area of the amplifier could be warm when the amplifier is in standby. The power supply remains on to power the circuitry that "knows" when you've begun playing your sub-woofer again. I'm not sure I know enough about your particular system setup to be able to comment about the increased heat you noticed when you left the unit in the "on" setting. However, the "auto" selection should be the best setting.
    Best regards, Ken Swauger
  • jim v.
    jim v. Posts: 25
    edited August 2001
    Options
    I decide to try the auto switch same result, I'm not blaring the sub I have it at the 4 position. the sub is connected to my receiver using a singal rca connector and is plugged into the wall outlet with no surge or powerbar, the sub is about a foot away from the wall on the back and side of it so there's plenty of ventilation yet it gets hot enough that you cannot leave your hand on the heatsink because of heat usually it was warm to the touch now the whole back side is hot all the knobs and switches as well and I'm wordering is this normal or is this sub running too hot for its own good. Jim
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited August 2001
    Options
    Hello Jim,
    That sounds like a problem somewhere with the amplifier, it should be warm but not that hot. The best thing to do is to contact your dealer, for service. If this isn't possible telephone me at 1-800-377-7655 extension 891 and I'll help.
    Regards, Ken Swauger