PSW1200 very hot heatsinks

jim v.
jim v. Posts: 25
edited July 2002 in Troubleshooting
My 3 year old psw1200 sub becomes very hot to the touch on the heatsinks while listening to music or movies, what is troubling, I turned it off, after about a day of being on the off position th heatsinks were still very warm to the touch not burning hot but enough to make me feel concerned, something is perhaps faulty, the sub isn't plugged into a power bar it's plugged in directly to the wall socket, has anyone come across situations like this. Jim
Post edited by jim v. on

Comments

• sgtgto
    sgtgto Posts: 310
    edited July 2002
    Hi:

Your sub has an auto on-off actuated via signal input and the amp shouldnt be heating up in the off position. I would check all the connections and make sure the auto on-off is set correctly. You should have an auto on light and an off light that will tell you what mode the amplifier is in. If the amp is not shutting down after a period of no signal input you most probably have a problem with the switching circuit.

Also, if the sub amp is not off when you turn it off then you most likely have a problem with the amp.

Gary
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited July 2002
    I have the psw1200 and the heat sinks do stay warm. I have heard about them (Polk Sub's)being hot weither they is on or off on this forum before. I do not pay to much attention to mine - "If it's not broken". I will check mine and see if it stays warm/hot in the off position this week.I do love this sub. though.
    :D
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited July 2002
    heat sink are ment to get hot that is their job to pull heat away from the amp usaly most amps have thermal overload prodecton so it will shut off if it gets to hot if i am wrong plese inform me i just dont know if polk sub amps have that
  • jim v.
    edited July 2002
    I agree it is a terrific sub as well, but when it's not in use the amp is very warm, my stereo amp is turn off and the top is cold to the touch why should the sub's amp be any different, the toggle switches are set at off, I have to turn it on manually I prefer this method to auto on, now if this 120 monster needs to get repaired who do you call besides a crane. Jim
  • sgtgto
    sgtgto Posts: 310
    edited July 2002
    Hi Jim:

Did you read my post above.

Gary
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited July 2002
    To me it sounds as if there's current running when there shouldn't be. This might not be immediately detrimental, but will probably suck down some electricity bill money and shorten the life-span of the amp.

With it off, unplug it until the heatsinks are cold to the touch. Leave it off and plug it back in. If it warms back up, you know there's a problem.

1st call Kenneth Swauger of Polk Customer Service.
    2nd call Helen. Let her know you're a Club Polk Member. She's real nice, but I hope you never have to talk to her. She'll take your order for replacement parts if your parts are consumer replaceable.
    3rd call Hanz & Franz or a crane.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited July 2002
    I've got that sub as well, and I've noticed that the fins on the back of mine stay warm, as well. They're definately warm, not hot, when the sub is off. When in use it heats up noticably, but not enough to make me concerned.

I leave mine in the "auto" position. I suspect that (unless yours stays quite a bit hotter than mine) the warmth is just from the transformer which remains powered up regardless of the position of the "on-off-auto" switch.

Jason
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited July 2002
    I just checked mine and it was exactly as Jason descibed. I also keep mine in the auto position. So I guess that is the way they operate. Chim in Kenneth!:cool:
  • jim v.
    edited July 2002
    I'll test it out in the auto position and see if there's a change as a result, and I'll post the results.
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited July 2002
    get a power relay that turns off the power to the sub when you turn off your recever i did that for my sub and suround amp i have a monster 3500 and it dues it for me