Sony Wega

Stocks_sd
Stocks_sd Posts: 28
edited July 2002 in Electronics
I just bought a 27" Sony Wega and have some questions. Maybe somebody can halp.

First question. Is it normal for there to be a half inch black frame around the picture? It looks like it's a normal thing for the tv but is kind of distracting.

Second. When watching dvd's the picture is great. The color and detail is what I was hoping I would get. But when watching tv through my satelite receiver the picture quality really goes down. It gets grainy. You know how when you lose a satelite signal and the picture starts to come back? That grainy kind of digital picture trying to come back together? That's what I'm getting but on a much smaller scale. I'm also getting horizontal lines running through the screen, colors bleeding into each other, and bright colors almost glow.

Now I've tried different picture and color settings, and I've tried hooking my satelite receiver and vcr up (not running throught my h/t receiver) a couple of different ways but still get the same thing. I'm going to play around with it again tomorrow but i'm hoping someone might be able to help make things a little easier.

Thanks,
Randy
Post edited by Stocks_sd on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    edited June 2002
    wHAT KIND OF VIDEO WIRE ARE YOU USING??S.....Composite???
    This makes a difference in picture quality.
    What kind of sat service do you have????
    You should pick up a test disk to calibrate you set.
    The back bars or framing you see is normal,the screen should be 27 inch viewable.Measure it, if it's small then that, Id talk to the store you bought it from, it could be bad,highly unlikely but possible.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • begbie
    begbie Posts: 630
    edited June 2002
    Try different rf(co-axial) cables. Make sure their not faulty and connect securely. If it still has the picture to what you describe then it's probably the tv.
    The borders sound normal to me though.
    What model is it? Just wondering because Sony Wega sets a couple of models ago had some bad grain to them but was normal.
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Polk fx500i -side surrounds
    Polk rc60i -rear surrounds
    Onkyo TX-NR 1009 (9.2) receiver
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • Stocks_sd
    edited June 2002
    The model # is KV-27FV17

My satellite service is through Dish Network.
    I've tried hooking it up two different ways. The first was using coax from my sat receiver to the vcr and then out to the tv. That's the way I had my old tv set up and had no problems. Next I went with Monster Cable rca type cables from sat to vcr to tv with a slight improvement but not much.

I'm thinking that the tv isn't the problem though. Wouldn't dvd's look the same way? Maybe I need to get the vcr out of the middle. I'll give that a shot next. I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks,
    Randy
  • ntculenuff
    ntculenuff Posts: 1,146
    edited June 2002
    sat tv is grainy..i have a sony wega and that was the first thing i noticed too.. sat tv is not as detailed as dvd digital vs digital/analog
    Speakers:
    Definitive BP7001sc mains
    Definitive C/L/R 3000 center
    Polk RT800i's rears
    Definitive supercube I Sub
    Audio:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010
    Emotiva XPA five Gen 3
    OPPO BDP-103 CD, SACD, DVD-A
    Video:
    Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
    OPPO BDP-103 Bluray
    Directv x's 2
  • Stocks_sd
    edited June 2002
    I never had that problem with my eight year old zenith and satellite tv though.
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited June 2002
    the older tv has less res so you wont see as much grain also smaller tv look beter too they dont have to strech the pic as much
  • Stocks_sd
    edited June 2002
    Well, the vcr had nothing to with it. Ran the Monster cables straight to the tv. No change.

Any suggestions?

Threw in a couple more dvd's and the picture is great.

Thanks'
    Randy
  • begbie
    edited June 2002
    Your problematic picture seems to be all over the place. If you're seeing patches of colors then you need the set degauzed from a technician which is quite simple. However you mentioned there were "glowing colors and bleeding" which sounds much harder to fix and should be exchanged.
    A snowy picture, interference, ghosting can be fixable from the average user. The glowing and bleeding is not and should not be expected from a new purchase.
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • ChrisDurano
    ChrisDurano Posts: 372
    edited June 2002
    Have you tried using S-video? I'm sure your dish receiver has that output available.
    Home Speakers polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired), CSi30, FX3000i, PSW250

Car speakers polkaudio EX 369, DB 650
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    edited July 2002
    I think your Tv is out of tune.To get rid of some of the grain aaas you will, run the sharpness down untill it goes away,but before it get's blurry.It should be set on the very low side,only small amount of sharpness is required on the Sony's.Also turn your color down untill the picture is natural looking.Most people are used to looking at Tv sets wrong.Really you should pick up Video Essentials or an Avia test disk.This will help you greatly.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • begbie
    edited July 2002
    I know about the Sony picture presets you've used and there shouldn't be any color bleeding or glowing in any mode you select. If you still have all those picture problems even with settings at 50% then you should go ahead and exchange/return that sucker before it's too late !
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • Stocks_sd
    edited July 2002
    Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I've been trying different settings on the tv and it hasn't helped the picture at all. I am thinking though that it's not the tv because dvd's do look so nice and there is such a drastic difference when watching tv. Couple more things I want to try like maybe a better cable from sat to receiver or maybe just back to the store for something else.

Anyway

Thanks again,
    Randy
  • begbie
    edited July 2002
    Maybe it's one of your inputs that are screwed up. Switch inputs between dvd and your sat.
    If you really think it isn't your tv then it's your satellite or a bad/wrong connection.
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • schumach
    schumach Posts: 199
    edited July 2002
    Make sure you don't have the sharpness too high, this will cause the grainy look. Do you have the VM on or off? What is the color temp?
  • Stocks_sd
    edited July 2002
    begbie

I thought about that today. Maybe the input is bad. I'm going to to try a different one and see what happens. I did have the same problem though when I had the receiver hooked up through the VHF/UHF jack. It's worth a shot.

schumach

Mantis had suggested the sharpness and color settings before and I have adjusted them but to no avail.
    As far as VM, I've tried that too, high, low, and off.

Thanks for the input,
    Randy
  • PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited July 2002
    to me, it's one of these two things:

1.re-check the sat disc to make sure it pointed the right direction, check all cable connections.

2.try to switch and test with another sat receiver to see if the problem go away, one thing I know for sure base on what you said, your WEGA is not the problem.