Power rating for RTA 12's

sirogenous
sirogenous Posts: 57
edited August 2001 in Technical/Setup
It is explained but not listed in the owners manual. Does anyone know watt (hehe) it might be.
Post edited by sirogenous on

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited August 2001
    Hello,
    The power handling is 500 Watts/channel, keep in mind these are 4 ohm nominal impedance.
    Regards, Ken
  • sirogenous
    edited August 2001
    Hello Kenneth,
    Thank You for replying to my post. I had always assumed that the R.TA. 12's had an impedance of 6 ohms. Anyhoot, I power them with a Hafler DH200 amplifier that I purchased second hand. I notice that when approaching what is only modest sound levels one or both of the 3/4 amp fuses used to protect the tweaters will blow. I pretty sure that I am not pushing this amp into clipping. Could this be a problem with the protection circuit of the tweater or a problem with the amp itself.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited August 2001
    Hello,
    The tweeter protection is the fuse, it's reacting to the amount of current flowing through it. When there's more than .75 Ampere of current passing through it, it opens up and turns off the tweeter. It's a pretty straight forward operation, not allot to go wrong. If you are using any kind of treble tone control or equalization to boost the upper frequencies there may be more high frequency information flowing to the tweeter than you believe. If you have access to a Volt/Ohm meter (VOM) you could do a little test. Remove the fuse from the fuse holder and set the VOM to AC current. It will be easiest to use meter leads with alligator clips on the ends. Place the black lead on the incoming metal clips of the fuse holder and the red lead on the other metal clip of the fuse holder. The meter will now be taking the place of the fuse showing you how much current is flowing to the tweeter. Be cautious, there is now nothing acting as the tweeter protection fuse, this is a test. My point is to give you a means of measuring how much is really flowing to the tweeter. Go easy on the volume control, when you reach the .75 Ampere level, mark this on the volume control as the peak point. Then adjust tone controls/EQ for a flat setting and make the same measurement with the same program material, noting the difference in the peak reading. Here again, remember there isn't any protection fuse, the tweeter will be receiving everything presented to it.
    Best regards, Ken Swauger
  • sirogenous
    edited August 2001
    Hello Kenneth,
    Yes, I understand how the fuse is the protection device itself. However, this is happening with the tone controls set to their mid position and with loudness off. And now that you've got me thinking correctly by bringing to my attention how the fuse is the only protection device, makes me believe that the amp may somehow be dumping to much current to it's output stage. By the way, would you happen to know what the voltages are that are intended to be sent to speakers ie. 2 to 10 volts or ?