Discussions on RT Series

Options
lycombs
lycombs Posts: 15
edited February 27 in Clubhouse Archives
There is a lot of discussion about the RT series versus the new offering stuff. Just a comment from the what-it's-worth-department,...in the late 80s/early 90s, Polk looked for other channel to markets, such as Circuit City, etc,... to move their products. In order to be successful in this endeavor, they had to make products that came in at certain price points to be competitive with the other stuff the chains were selling.

I am the first to admit that some of the stuff was not the "old Polk standard" that many of us remember during the reign of greats such as the SDA-SRS. However, in the last 3 years or so, they have really upped the ante with the top-end RT offerings. Yes, in reality the RT2000s are more or less price point speakers, but this does NOT apply to the RT3000s. In concert with the strategy to get back into the high-end perception again, many Circuit Citys throughout the US no longer carry the 3000s anymore. I think you'll see more of this differentiated marketing strategy applied to the new stuff, as well.

So,...my point is that probably most purchasers of the 3000s and most audiophile magazines have either disregarded the offering as low-end and/or haven't used proper complementary high-end components to really open them up the way they should sound.

If you really want a highly underated and perhaps best-in-class-for-the-money, get the RT3000s and run them with a quality amp and pre-amp. Something that can drive nails into the woodwork all day long at a half ohm is perfect. Best is with a min. 300 wpc of CLEAN high current/high voltage power. Only then, can you open up the full potential of the satellite part of the 3000 system.
And let me tell you,...when you do open up those mids and high properly,...you get a TOTALLY different speaker!

My guess is that most people run these puppies with a mediocre receiver, which equates to you get sound out that is representative of the signal you put in. Part of that is probably commiserate with the previous Circuit City philosophy. I've run them side-by-side against other front facing towers with high-end equipment and the sound you get out of these guys is TOTALLY different than if you drive them with a mid-line product. In fact, I am convinced Polk has snuck in a prize-fighter that missed a lot of media attention because they never really got tested on par with some of the other mid to high end offerings. These things are made to run with an amp that can throw out some juice. Ever read the recommended wattage specs? Actually, even in more expensive offerings, very few offer a design that has driver, voice coil componentry and cross-over construction that can really handle 500 wpc (of clean power, of course).

Drive these speakers the way they were really meant to be driven and you'll see why Micah says what he does.
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited August 2001
    Options
    Man, I'd love to hear your system!

It's true, that we had to meet some price points and that you could make an argument about new vs old Polks. But I'm sticking by my contention that today, you can't get a better speaker value in terms of price and performance than the RTi line. Real wood, tweaked high end components, and Matt's own voicing... At a great, reasonable price, make them something else, man!

I'm a big fan of them. Thanks for the great post, lycombs!

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • eaadams
    eaadams Posts: 213
    edited August 2001
    Options
    HOW BOUT SEE THE SYSTEM IN THE SYSTEM SHOWCASE!!!!!
  • lycombs
    lycombs Posts: 15
    edited August 2001
    Options
    I guess my experience with the 2000s comes from a friend of mine who had them at first and then upgraded to the 3000s. The 2000s never really opened up the way the 3000s did and he actually had some driver damage due to the fact that the 2000s just couldn't keep up. Since getting the 3000s, he has had zero problems and the comparison in sound, all the way from lows, to mids, to highs is just totally different. That's why I got a pair,..made me a believer.

I run a Classe' pre-amp and a 300 wpc McCormack DNA-2 amp just so you know,....couple that with the 3000s that can take it and you have what I think is one of the best sounding speakers on the market today. I have had NHT 3.3s, Mirage OM-6s, KEFs, B&Ws, etc,.....none of them "sound" as good as the 3000s in my opinion. Course each person's ears are different and some people may like the bipolar designs or other types of soundstaging that some of the other brands give,.....for me,....I like the right-in-your-face voicing that the Polks give!!!