LSI tweetwer position

Options
l80241
l80241 Posts: 23
edited June 2002 in Speakers
I have had the LSI7 (front speakers) for a couple of months now and have been playing with positioning. Overall I am VERY happy with the speakers, but I have a question about the offset tweeter. The speakers are not marked left/right, so I guessed and placed them so that the tweeters were inside (closer to center). I recently swapped them, just to see (tweeters to the outside) what would happen.

The new positioning seems to have created a wider soundstage and more precise imaging. I actually expected the soundstage & imaging to get worse, not better. First, which is the "correct" positioning and second, if they sound better backwards, why would that be?

Thanks
Post edited by l80241 on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited June 2002
    Options
    How do you know they are backwards if they are not labeled left and right????
    The others are as far as I know.BUt if you got a sound improvement,Id leave them that way regaurdless if they are right or wrong.
    What do you drive them with???They seem to need good equipment.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited June 2002
    Options
    I just thought of an answer to your question.
    You might have them to close together,that might be the reason the tweeters to the outside sounded better.Position is key to good sound.Tweaking foreverafter.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • l80241
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Thanks Mantis for the reply - I am running a Denon 3801 receiver and it seems like a good match so far. Together they sound great. At this point it's a 50/50 shot on which speaker is the left and which is the right. Basesd on pictures in the manual, I believe they should be positioned with tweeters to center, but I cannot say for sure.. I will experiment further, but will leave them in the positions that sound best regardless.

I am looking for some confirmation on which way they are designed to be used. Good news in either setup they sound great, just better in the outside positioning.
  • l80241
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Oh Yeah,
    I actually have the speakers spaced pretty far apart due to the room, (12 ft or so). Maybe this has something to do with it? I'll try them closer together and see if anything changes.
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited June 2002
    Options
    The pictures I looked at on the Polk website show the tweeter on the inside position, for what it's worth.
  • Barfuls
    Barfuls Posts: 4
    edited June 2002
    Options
    The LSi 9's in my system have the suffix "LC" or "RC" preceeding the serial numbers, indicating the right or left channel. I beleive your LSi 7's will too. The position of the tweeter relative to the woofer will have an effect on the timing of the highs vs midrange of your speeker. That said... the amount of toe in will also have the same effect, along with the spread if your left & right speaker positions. I have experemented with positioning the 9's extensivly & have cosistantly gotten my best results from positioning the tweeters to the inside & towing the speakers in so I can't see either side of the speaker from the listening position.

Enjoy your new speakers. They're wonderful!