Genisis system

jrausch
jrausch Posts: 510
edited June 2002 in Speakers
Anyone here ever had a chance to listen to this system? One of the most realistic sound stages I've ever heard. Some local doctor bought a set of these for his basement and the audiophile store I use to hang around let me play with them. :) SDA 1.2's were small in comparison. Infinity made some big o'l speakers in their day. Price: $135,000 Freq range I believe was 8Hz-36kHz
They were better than any live concert that I have ever been to.

PHYSICAL DESCRIPTION

The Genesis 1.1 consists of four major modules: two midrange tweeter screens and two bass towers. Each module is 7.5 feet (228.6 cm), and is covered in the most beautiful plantation grown South American rosewood that money can buy and is hand finished to the most exacting furniture grade standards possible.

Each of the midrange/tweeter panels is 42 inches (106.4 cm) wide and houses a 75" tall ribbon midrange and twenty ribbon tweeters on the front and six in the rear to form a near perfect dipolar line source array. Each baffle is machined out of a solid piece of one inch thick black Corian.

Each tweeter is our own proprietary 1 " ribbon built from an incredibly thin membrane of Kapton and aluminum (.0005" thick). Behind the flat diaphragm of the tweeter is the motor, a precision machined and focused magnetic structure.

The midrange module is a newsingle 75" dipolar ribbon driver. A push pull dipole configuration was chosen to eliminate the distortion inherent in many single ended ribbon designs. The diaphragm of this driver is made of a very thin 0.001" thick Kapton film laminated with a thin aluminum strip which acts as the voice coil of the driver. The entire device is suspended in a powerful magnetic field created by over 30 feet of barium ferrite magnets.

The two bass towers stand seven and a half feet tall, 18 inches (45.6 cm) wide and house twelve servo controlled twelve inch metal cone woofers individually driven by a massive 12 channel 4000 watt servo amplifier, housed in two Tower chassis and connected to the woofers via a custom 30 foot cable hand-crafted by AudioQuest. The fully discrete servo amplifier is remote controlled and functions include volume, low pass, high pass, phase and power. Inside there are 3 toroidal transformers that deliver the power, which is adjustable to any line voltage a customer might desire.

The crossover module for each of the midrange/tweeter panels is housed in a separate Corian enclosure with a tuned suspension system to isolate it acoustically. Inside the crossover, Genesis has incorporated the world's first multiple tap copper foil inductor for the midrange and our own proprietary polypropylene film and foil capacitors for the tweeter array.

The complete Genesis 1.1 system consisting of the five separate elements weighs over 1 l/4 tons and is shipped in 6 wooden crates.

MINIMUM ROOM REQUIREMENTS

The Genesis 1.1 can successfully operate in a dedicated listening room as surprisingly small as fifteen by twenty feet. Larger non dedicated rooms are no problem for the Genesis 1.1 and it is most comfortable in a large living room with either conventional or vaulted ceilings.

ASSOCIATED EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS

The Genesis 1.1s are quite efficient and can easily be driven from as little as a 100 watt per channel amplifier, tube or solid state, and as powerful as a 1,000 watt amplifier. They are a 4 ohm load. The Genesis 1.1s are one of the few speakers in the world that can achieve actual live listening levels with ease.
"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
Post edited by jrausch on

Comments

• weavercr
    weavercr Posts: 289
    edited June 2002
    "The Genesis 1.1s are one of the few speakers in the world that can achieve actual live listening levels with ease"

So can the Dynaudio/munro M4

133dB SPL @ 2m, 2 cabs driven
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited June 2002
    A member here named 'chris' aka 'snake' has reported he has a Genesis rig on Krell. That setup actually doesn't look too far from the high end Infinity's back in the day. I'm sure they sound different, but those woofers look a lot like the Watkins Infinity used to use....

133db, impresive. Not very practical, but impressive nontheless. I guess this is when you stop talking about your mancave as a 'room', and refer to it as a 'hall'.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • har_navalta
    har_navalta Posts: 957
    edited June 2002
    Holy!!! ...those are GOLIAH and "polk" a David...

:eek:
  • tonyv1
    tonyv1 Posts: 365
    edited June 2002
    Guys, here's the info on Genesis Technology.
    They when bankrupt Dec 2001.
    Russman makes the Infinity connection and here's the proof.

The brainchild of designer Arnie Nudell, Genesis Technologies produced a number of market-leading products. Capable of enormous sound-pressure levels and life-like dynamics, Genesis loudspeakers were notable for their beautiful finishes, often in exotic hardwoods. Nudell's Genesis designs evolved from work he did in the 1970s and early '80s with Infinity, whose Infinity Reference System (IRS) once dominated the ultra high-end loudspeaker market.