Those w/biamp or biwireable Polks..

Options
etrigan
etrigan Posts: 160
edited June 2002 in Speakers
Hello all :D

Just curious, in the midst of your fiddling and/or tweaking your Polks, besides biamping and biwiring - how many have simply replaced the Polk jumpers w/wire.
What ga. did u use ? and what, if any differences did u hear/experience ?

In my case it's the 800i's / 400i / 55i's -
just would like to hear all opinions from those who have done this
Thx!

CHEERS! jefff
Art as expression-Not as market campaigns-Will still capture our imaginations.
Post edited by etrigan on

Comments

• jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited June 2002
    Options
    I replaced the jumpers on my 800i's. 12ga wire to the bottom posts and 14ga jumper to the upper posts. I thought I could hear a difference, in the form of improved clarity in the midrange. However, when I needed to move the speakers around I un-hooked the wires and had some difficulty getting my 12ga+14ga back under the posts. After a little frustration, I replaced the flat, gold jumpers.

Honestly, I don't think I can hear a difference. But that's just me: Your experience may vary. If everyone here answers that it made a big difference to them, I might put the wire back.

I'm powering them with a Denon 3801 right now, BTW.

Jason
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited June 2002
    Options
    I'm not really sure why speaker manufactors insist on the flat metal jumpers.I have seen other companies use actual wire with banana ends or spade ends.
    There is an Improvement when you bi wire a speaker.This is something that is very argued in here and has been talked about many times.If you search for Bi wire you will come across many posts on this subject.
    Go get your read on.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • chefsdm
    chefsdm Posts: 17
    edited June 2002
    Options
    i replaced the jumpers with wire (16 ga monster xp) after havung issues with the nuts loosening up on my cs 400i and rt800i's. sound is not noticably different but it solved the problem of the platic nuts vibrating loose.
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited June 2002
    Options
    I don't understand the whole rationale of stacking speakers? If we consider the fronts and Center does one speaker type add a different... say property, to the sweet spot?

I have tried stacking the rears to try to imitate a bi-pole but I'm not convinced yet...
    ***WAREMTAE***