denon 2802

Options
bounty5
bounty5 Posts: 20
edited June 2002 in Electronics
I have just received my polk psw650. It is very apparent that i am now in need of a new amp/receiver. I see the denon 3802 holds wide praise amongst some on the forum here. Does anyone have anything to add for the 2802?
I am unsure as of yet which direction to go with a receiver. I have an aged sony right now. All the info i have been reading leads me towards high amperage models like the denon.
The high amp models from HK and denon are apparently of higher quality, discrete design? Apparently, I should be looking deeper into some of the specs listed for amps to fully appreciate my Polks.
what are the top three things to look for in a high quality (under a $1000) receiver?
Post edited by bounty5 on

Comments

• Wesmo
    Wesmo Posts: 74
    edited June 2002
    Options
    I have their 696 reciever, and I really like it. It has all the features you mentioned (high amperage, discrete circuitry, under a grand), and to me it sounds great. It puts out 100 watts X 5, which drives my 600i's, 35i's, and 245i just fine. It's been discontinued (which explains how I got mine for 600 bucks, but you may be able to find it. Its replacement is the 700, and at 800 bucks, it's still a good deal I think. Go out and give Onkyo a try. I'd put them up there Denon ( I feel HK is overpriced for the power they put out).
    wes
  • OrangeToupee
    OrangeToupee Posts: 488
    edited June 2002
    Options
    I use the 2802, and for the home theater application that it's being used for, it's a VERY useful tool. 6.1 X a legit 90W is more than enough juice for my tastes, mix in the plentitude of features and comforts ... well, I think it's great. I got mine for $549.00 + shipping from reliable audio video

If you're talking about a 2-channel music system, then there would be other recommendations.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Owning the rt series from Polk gives you a wide range of receivers to look at.
    finding the right one for you is a personal taste to say the least.Denon,Onkyo,Integra,Yamaha,Pioneer Elite,Sony ES,Marantz, for some all make good products.You will notice a favor in Denon in here.At very least they have a cunning ability to mate really well with the entire rt line.
    Other do to,like I said it's a personal taste thing,find the class you can afford ,find the features that are important to you and Get you listen on(I love that saying).
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • RBreak
    RBreak Posts: 31
    edited June 2002
    Options
    I have had my 2802 for almost two months now, I am just beginning to get it all figured out and so far I am very happy with it. I have mine pushing 6 polk speakers and two subs, and I think it sounds very good. I dont know what your listening volume tastes are but mine rocks the house pretty well. I had some friends over watching "U-571" the other day, when it got to the scene with the depth charges going off, everyone in the room was begging me to turn it down. Heck, I even think it sounds good in 2 channel stereo pushing the Rt800i's and the subs, but I'm probably not as hard core of an audiophile as some of the other folks on the board. Good luck.