Newbie Needs Help

Options
sbadger
sbadger Posts: 1
edited May 2002 in Troubleshooting
Just got everything hooked up (PSW 350, CS245i, RT35i, and RC65i). All connected to my Denon AVR-1802. Got a 65 inch mits widescreen and HDTV receiver. Pretty much happy.
Couple speaker questions:
1) My left surround speaker (in wall mount) sometimes "crackles" when a loud effect comes through it. Right one is fine. Any ideas?
2) Are these considered large or small speakers for purpose of my receiver settings?
3) What settings should I pick on the back of my subwoofer?
Thanks
Steve
Post edited by sbadger on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited May 2002
    Options
    I'll throw this out, see if it sticks.....

1.) Swap your left and right (wires) at the amp, does the problem stay on the left side, or move to the other speaker?

2.) Try both, see which one you like. Most 6.5 inch woofs can handle a 'large' setting, I preferred my old CS300 (very close to your 245) set to small.

3.) Without opening a bass-mgmt can of worms, start with phase 0, start the xover at around 80~Hz, gain little less than halfway. Listen to familiar music, and adjust gain and xover until you feel it blends well with your mains.

4.) Re-read your manuals, and download the Polk Audio Home Theater Handbook here:

HT Handbook

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited May 2002
    Options
    First and foremost. Welcome to the forum Steve.

Sub: I'd connect this to the LFE out of your receiver. Turn the crossover 3/4 of the way and the volume to 1/2. In/out of phase is a hit and miss affair. Try both whichever sounds best. This setting may change if you move it. This will get you in the ballpark and you can adjust from there.

Size settings: I think you'll get best results with everything set to small. If you have a crossover control in the receiver set it low.

Crackling: If you can, connect the left speaker to the right channel. If the problem persists it's probably a bad speaker. Ken Swauger is the Polk help guy and is great to work with from what I've read. Click on "service and parts" at the top right corner. This may be warranty issue with the store your purchase was made. That'd be easy.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited May 2002
    Options
    Just because it takes me 1/2hr to formulate a reply doesn't mean anything.:D
    Make it Funky! :)