upgrades....

Options
TroyD
TroyD Posts: 13,077
edited June 2002 in 2 Channel Audio
What upgrades/tweaks/new gear...whatever, do folks have in store for thier rigs in the coming months??

I'm happy with my gear but am working on some stands for the DQ-10's....maybe some unobtrusive (that's paramount to the lovely Wendi) acoustic treatments to the mancave....

BDT
I plan for the future. - F1Nut
Post edited by TroyD on

Comments

• Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited May 2002
    Options
    I want to replace my entire HS. Does that qualify as an upgrade? Realistically the upgrades will probably be in stages: 1) speakers, 2) amp/preamp, and 3) CD player. I'd really like to get the speakers and amp/preamp at the same time, though. We shall see.

I took my preamp back for re-repair today, but the guy pretty much said that it was useless since you can't get Carver parts anymore and repairing the input selector switch again will just result in it breaking again. (Wow, that was a run-on sentence!) It's really not that big of a deal thanks to the tape monitors, but it is annoying.

Aaron
  • TroyD
    edited May 2002
    Options
    I dunno Aaron...I'd rethink the batting order and put amp/preamp to the top of the list....

BTW, do you have any problems with unequal gain in your biamp setup??

BDT
  • Aaron
    edited May 2002
    Options
    I dunno Aaron...I'd rethink the batting order and put amp/preamp to the top of the list....
    Don't make me invoke the Mantis Matching Law! My RT55's don't deserve a wicked-nasty amp/preamp combo. For the money, a new pair of speakers will make the most difference in my case. Still, I can't wait to get a sexy preamp with a remote (boy how I miss that). I would be curious to see how much more the RT55's have to offer. My guess is not too much.
    BTW, do you have any problems with unequal gain in your biamp setup??
    Oh yes. The first time I fired it up I was rather confused; it sounded like only one of the amps was on. I quickly figured it out, though, and adjusted it by ear (another use for an SPL meter ;)).

Aaron
  • TroyD
    edited May 2002
    Options
    I dunno, ima thinking that you would get more mileage out of the amp and preamp. I forgot about the matching principle though.....

A pair of Revels with a Sony/Yammie and bad Carver preamp?? I dunno man...

BDT
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited May 2002
    Options
    I don't know, I sway between speakers and source, I'm leaning towards source....

Of course he could always Hunter 'em up, and drop in some ring radiators and LSi networks.....

Just think, once he gets his Revels, he'll have to ditch those Sanus stands and get a nice, expensive 'snob' stand.... ;)

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TroyD
    edited May 2002
    Options
    The reason I say this is that I'm kind of at the point that I don't know where I would go. I mean, I'm really happy with everything I have. The CD is brand new (an external DAC? maybe) The passive pre, I really dig. The amp, I dunno, 350 watts would be a lot of wampum, new or used. Speakers? I could see getting a pair to alternate with the DQ's but I doubt seriously those will ever leave that room......

Goodness, I'm CONTENT! Just don't tell Wendi....

BDT
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited May 2002
    Options
    My new speakers are on the way (Paradigm sorry)
    My used Rotel RB-985mkII is on the way
    My DIY sub-woofer is nearly done
    After all that, I will be done for a while (Just ask my wife)
    Wife has agreed to me having a room for the theater so I guess that is next.
    Then a big screen

I will then start building my 2 ch rig. All used equipment I am sure.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • Aaron
    edited May 2002
    Options
    A pair of Revels with a Sony/Yammie and bad Carver preamp?? I dunno man...
    It's like sacrilege , I know. I think what I'll probably do is buy the Revel's and then finance the amp/preamp combo so I can get it all at once.
    Just think, once he gets his Revels, he'll have to ditch those Sanus stands and get a nice, expensive 'snob' stand
    Oh sure. Revel makes a matching stand for $200 that's pretty sweet. I think that's a fair price for them, especially considering that the optional grilles cost like $150. :rolleyes:

Aaron
  • Aaron
    edited May 2002
    Options
    The reason I say this is that I'm kind of at the point that I don't know where I would go. I mean, I'm really happy with everything I have.
    Lucky ****. It doesn't seem like your system has any weak links. To kick your system up to the next level (significantly), you'd probably have to spend quite a bit. I think your biggest return on investment would be room treatments and room accessories (i.e. nice man chair). I'd also consider a sub. Upsampling external DAC's are all the rage, but I've never demoed any. You could do better than Carver, but you'd probably have to spend in the $2.3-3k region (new). If you did that I'd get a new pre, too. Does your pre have a remote? I can't live without that (CD player remotes don't cut it for me) Speaker wire and interconnects will always help, but you can judge for yourself if that's worth it. And then there's always speakers.....but again you're probably talking probably $3-4k to significantly better what you have.
    Aaron
  • Aaron
    edited May 2002
    Options
    What kind of Paradigm's are you getting?

Aaron
  • TroyD
    edited May 2002
    Options
    Ed Zachary.....I don't feel, IMO, that I have any gaping holes in my rig. The passive pre, is just that, passive. It has no electricity at all. For a remote, I use a 3 iron. It appeals to me in the sense that it adds nothing.

The Carver and the DQ's, I'd have to spend a fortune for something that, IMO, is noticeably better. Laugh if you will, but I'd put the DQ's up against anything 5 grand or less. I'm not saying the DQ's would be better but they certainly wouldn't be shamed.

I'm perfectly happy with Frank Dai's interconnects and will probably give his speaker wire a try....

I even have a brand new sofa in the mancave. We bought it 4 yrs ago to have a pull out bed in a spare room, so until a month or so ago, no one had ever really even sat on it.

BDT
  • Aaron
    edited May 2002
    Options
    Geez Troy, there's gotta be something to spend your money on! How about a line conditioner or some such power device? And did I mention a sub? Definitely try out those Frank Dai speaker cables, and let me know how they work out. I still say your best bet is on room acoustics.

Aaron
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited May 2002
    Options
    Hey Troy--

How about one of those reflection-absorbing, acoustic cats?
  • TroyD
    edited May 2002
    Options
    actually I was thinking about those NASA-style tiles...

BDT
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited May 2002
    Options
    Aaron

Studio 100's (light cherry) CC (black) and ADP's (white)
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited May 2002
    Options
    i think that a real nice combined ht and sound room would be the best upgrade you can do. the next is speakers polk lsi series.
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited May 2002
    Options
    just ordered myself an AMC cd8b today. finally, i won't have to double duty my DVD player. this is my first step in the eventual budget 2-channel system. the AMC won out over the NAD and Cambridge for half the price. the HT/HS is on a tight budget right now. trying to buy that 'ring' ...:eek:
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited May 2002
    Options
    firstly: integrated AMC 3050a
    eventually: AMC 2100 amp and utilize the 3050a as a pre-pro.
    2-channel speakers: LSi, kirksaeter silverline 60, might check out axiom, kef, triangle, others?

it's a budget system, but it will do for now (or for soon from now)...
  • raycomics
    raycomics Posts: 78
    edited June 2002
    Options
    I think that I am going to try and upgrade by taking a step back to the past. (meaning Tubes) Just got a Dynaco PAS-2. Think I will try matching it up with an ST-70 for my Altecs and see what happens.

But hey, what do I know? I am still recording on Cassettes! (and loving it)
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Pioneer Elite DV-47a Prog. Scan DVD-A/SACD Player....If I'm good...VERY GOOD!
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited June 2002
    Options
    I'm looking into:
    XM Radio
    Digital Cable (mostly for the music channels)
    BSR EQ-3000
    Vintage Tuner probably Dynaco

Ray: I'm currently running Altec Segovias on my Dynaco PAT4 & ST120 rig. It sounds great. I wish I would've gone tubes, but for $150 the PAT4 & ST120 were hard to pass on. Those 14s look pretty sweet. If you ever what to get rid of 'em let me know.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • raycomics
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Gidrah -

I would not sell for a Million! (but I would have to think long and hard bout it)

IMHO, Tubes don't give you that "In your Face" Sound as compared to SS. The music does, however sounds warmer, smoother, and more liquid.

The 14's are going for a premium now on Ebay. One guy wanted $1500. They did not cost that much MSRP new. People are really starting to catch on to the "Vintage" stuff.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Tubes RULE! Solid state audio equipment was someones idea of a bad joke back in the 50's. Two 50W x 2 tube amps run circles around my Sunfire 300 x 2 in both quantity and quality. They have their problems though. 30 minutes to warm up properly, ah, I guess that is all the problems unless you consider heat a problem. They respond well to small tweaks as well such as power cables and vibration isolation. The real key to all of this is that you can hear so many more things at one time. The solid state stuff garbles right over the really fine little sounds and you would never hear differences such as a power cord.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • TroyD
    edited June 2002
    Options
    man, I WANT some demo time with some tubes....

BDT
  • Aaron
    edited June 2002
    Options
    [They have their problems though.
    Don't forget that the tubes degrade over time. That fact alone would drive me nuts. It's like an OCD's nightmare. I'd probably replace the tubes every year to make sure I'm getting the best sound quality.

Aaron
  • raycomics
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Troy -

Go Slow Man, Go Slow. Once you demo Tubes, you WILL get Hooked!

I am going to try and keep costs down by going after Dynaco stuff. Good old fashioned quality, and it won't cost you $14,000. (for 2 Pass SETs)
  • TroyD
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Well, I'd like to hear them just to hear them but I can pretty much tell you tubes are not in the plan here for a LONG time to come....

Troy
  • RuSsMaN
    edited June 2002
    Options
    My vast in-experience with tubes....

Aaron, as far as I know, they will start to 'spit' when they are on their last leg usually. A very infrequent, and quick 'crackle/static' noise heard through the speaker. Even at that point, overall quality hasn't degraded.

As wierd as it sounds, to here em 'spit' every now and then is almost neat...at least you definatley know you are on tube gear....

Cheers,
    Russ

I LONG for some Cary tube gear.....
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Aaron
    edited June 2002
    Options
    I dunno. I had heard that they degrade over time and need to be replaced every 3 years or so on average. Who knows; maybe that's not true.

Aaron
  • RuSsMaN
    edited June 2002
    Options
    Sorry Aaron, my bunghole got to the keyboard and started typing away....

I don't know, only what I've heard....

-R