Ceiling Speakers: Round vs. Rectangular

Options
3rdArmy
3rdArmy Posts: 1
Is there an advantage to either round or rectangular ceiling speakers, other than the size and shape? I'm considering the RC55i (Rectangular) vs. the RC80i (Round).
Post edited by 3rdArmy on

Comments

• iworkfortweeter
    iworkfortweeter Posts: 53
    edited April 2006
    Options
    they both sound the same. the only thing you have to worry about is aesthetic value. id personally go with the circles, they give you a bit better of a classy look. sound quality=same, range=same. both are exellent. you can also paint the outer layer of the speaker as well as the grille, so you can match them to your walls. very sleek! ;)
    currently in car:
    '00 Honda Accord LX V6
    AEM V2 cold air induction
    c400.4 amp powering a pair of momo 6500's
    and a pair of momo 6x9's
    alpine monoblock amp powering a jl w3 12''
    custom fab work for tweeters
    jl rca's, dist block and power/grounds
    alpine cda 9857 head
    three ground loop isolators
    ipod integration, all songs at 320kbs
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    edited April 2006
    Options
    they both sound the same. the only thing you have to worry about is aesthetic value. id personally go with the circles, they give you a bit better of a classy look. sound quality=same, range=same. both are exellent. you can also paint the outer layer of the speaker as well as the grille, so you can match them to your walls.

How can you say that, they are entirely different speakers!!!

RC55i 67Hz-20kHz, 3/4" tweeter, 5 1/4" woofer.

RC80i 35Hz-20kHz, 1" tweeter, 8" woofer.

The RC80i will have a fuller sound and therefore will NOT sound the same as the RC55i.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Most people prefer the look of round speakers in the ceiling rather than rectangular. Those people include me. I put rounds in the ceiling and rectangulars on side walls. Unless the speaker is one of those motorized ones that drop down toward the listening area, which have a way cool factor.
  • Earwig
    Options
    Here's one advantage of a circular speaker: when cutting the hole, I crunched about an inch of the sheetrock. During installation, I simply turned the speaker to make sure the clamps were positioned away from that spot. Can't do that with a rectangle.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    The main difference is that in wall speakers are shallower because they have to be. Most people's walls are built with 2x4s and therefore only have about 3.5 inches of clearance inside. Most people's attics, on the other hand, have plenty of clearance except in corners. If you look at polks higher end in ceiling lsis, they are really deep, which you could never do with in walls.

I have a rounds in my main setup, do prefer the look slightly simply because it looks kinda like a can light. But I have rectangular ones in the bedroom, and they are better speakers so they sound better. And I bought used but in excellent condition for dirt cheap. So I would suggest looking on eBay either way and buy the best speakers you can get for your budget.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,650
    Options
    10 year old thread fellas...