Dedicated sub for surrounds

scottvamp
scottvamp Posts: 3,277
Has anyone tryed this? I am thinking that most movies don't have enought low end freq. in the surround area to make it worth it. In my setup it is just a matter of switching around a couple cables so I may give it a run. Any thoughts?:D
Post edited by scottvamp on

Comments

• joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited May 2002
    im using polk rt20p power towers for my surounds works dam good
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • del44
    del44 Posts: 686
    edited May 2002
    I recently upgraded main subs. So when I got my dvd audio player, I used my old sub (DCM sub 2. 2 12" woofers w/150 watt amp) for the surrounds via speaker level inputs. I positioned it in the rear of the listening area. Works great for that purpose. No bass management problems that way. Sometimes when I'm watching movies I'll still set my surrounds to small. Just my preference I guess.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited May 2002
    You can try that, sounds like fun but,
    If your main sub isn't efficient your low fill ability will benifit from a bigger sub rather then trying to get 2 to work together.
    I have found this to be true, but 2 smaller subs are just harder to setup, thats all.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • BBUBBA
    BBUBBA Posts: 66
    edited May 2002
    I agree with Mantis .

After running two subs (remember 6.1,5.1 is formated for sub use) I have found that it is better to set the sub closer to you to get more punch.I put a PSW350 behind the couch and a PSW650 in the front corner of my room. I have &^%$#$#!#$^&&***messed with it for @*&^$%#@* time. I can get it to shake the couch a little bit. I turned off the PSW350 and moved my PSW650 closer and WOW. SO I feel that two isn't better . You fight phase canceling and the put one out of phase and it doesn't have the right timing or punch (sounds like crap).

Anyhow My Opinion

.:o
  • scottvamp
    edited June 2002
    OK the point of this question was some how lost. I have preouts for my surrounds on my reciever. I wanted to plug in one of my subs. into the surround preout and set to large--which in return will give a dedicated surround sub. This sub has nothing to do with competing with my front lfe sub. which can crack the foundation by it self. It is a totally seperate channel/signal. I was just wondering if anyone had tried this but I seeing a big no to that one. Remember how we were talking a sub for each channel well this is a sub dedicated to the surround channels. Get it!;)
  • mantis
    edited June 2002
    If your main sub can crack the foundation why do you want to add another sub??Just run the surrounds in small and let the main sub do all the work.
    Dan
  • scottvamp
    edited June 2002
    Because the surrounds are seperate dedicated channels on a movie soundtrack which are different from the front stage. This way you will have sub. freq.'s that were only intended for the surrounds that are totally different from the front stage LFE effects. Basicly you will have a sub. dedicated to the front stage and a sub. dedicated to the surround stage. Diffenent sub. freq.'s can be heard for the front and rear effects as they were intended not blended together with one sub. A low freq. coming out of the rears will be different and at different times than the front stage. Take a good "fly by" for example the rumbleing starts in the front and passes through the rear effects.(at one point the bass has left the front and has gone to the rears) TO MAKE THIS SEEMLESS YOU WOULD BENIFIT FROM ANOTHER DEDICATED SUB. Having a sub. pick up the rear effects is like saying why don't I do away with my surrounds and let my front stage handle the sound????

That is my simple why of explaining it. Does that make cents?
    This should be very effective on a movie with "agressive surrounds" through out a soundtrack. I am running two sub. right now in front and one in the rear in which a home THX setup suggest. But they also recommend surrounds that can handle low freq. and most don't including my fx500i's and cs245i. I will be testing this out fairly soon.:cool:
  • mantis
    edited June 2002
    If it works for you by all means.
    Dan