Grill cloth question

Options
tonygeno
tonygeno Posts: 34
edited February 27 in Clubhouse Archives
I own a set of RT800i and a CS400i. Are these designed to be played with or without the grill cloths. IMHO, most speakers tend to sound best naked (grills tend to cause response irregularities, particularly in the highs because of diffraction) but I had read that the Polks were designed to be used with the grills attached. Is this true? The manual makes no mention of it. Thanks.
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited August 2001
    Options
    IMO, do what sounds best to you.

I obviously can't speak for or about Polk's design intents (which BTW it looks like they won't either these days) but...

For me, no matter what company's speakers I've used for HS for the last thirty years, the grills are off for listening.

However, the grills never come off the RT3000ps, SDA-2Bs, the CS-400i, or the CT-150 that are my HT speakers.
  • tonygeno
    tonygeno Posts: 34
    edited August 2001
    Options
    I spoke with Polk customer service a few moments ago. They said that the speakers were designed to be used with the grill cloths on. The antidiffraction bezel/grill cloths were designed as a system to improve dispersion. I'm glad I made that call :)
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited August 2001
    Options
    I knew there was a reason I left the grills on my newer Polk speakers!

Man, am I glad my SDA Polks don't have the "antidiffraction bezel/grill cloths" on them! They only have the "someprotectionfrom curiousfingers keeepsomeofthedustoff/ grill cloths.