I've got another one.

Options
jeffeb3
jeffeb3 Posts: 106
edited February 27 in Clubhouse Archives
how 'bout infinity vs. polk. What kind of customer (do ya'll think) likes the (overpriced) infinities. I always have a hard time comparing inf.s to plk.s
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2001
    Options
    Now if this was 2 years ago, and we were comparing the Infinity RS line vs the Polk RT line, it would be fun, interesting, and close.

Infinity took a HUGE nosedive with their recent line. You can really see the Harman International influance, such as we saw in the copper-colored JBL drivers introduced 2-3 years ago.

The RS line actually had a similar to RT series sound. I audtitioned both extensively, and preferred Polk, but not by a 'huge' margin.

The new series.....no thank you. The look is almost white-van'ish if you ask me....a little TOO out there....

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • shepx2
    shepx2 Posts: 646
    edited July 2001
    Options
    It really depends what model of the new Infinity's you are listening to. The powered towers, with the RABOS done properly, really sound good. The lower models do leave a little to be desired.
    The biggest problem I've seen with this line is that they really need to be broken in to sound good. After about 3 months of use, their tone is completely different.
    I keep hoping that H/K goes under, and Polk buys the rights to the RABOS technology:)

Shep
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2001
    Options
    All this is, simply, entering in room size to adjust an EQ on the <100Hz frequencies. Does it work? probably....but so does using an EQ, or sub placement....

Ground breaking technology, doubtful....

A cool feature to have on a speaker....sure....

Eq'd bass is altered bass, not the way the music was recorded, or meant to be heard...does that mean it is wrong, no, but this is really personal preference.

I'll trust my ears over any computer settings, and doubt that Polk is into such 'gimmicks'. Harman International will probably never go under, they practically rule 'brick & mortar' store sales.

Anyway, thats how my ears hear it.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.