Bridging Parasound Amp

Options
2»

Comments

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited March 2006
    Options
    The new "Classic" series are Class A/B. There's no purely Class A operation as is with the HCA-1500 (Pure Class A to 25 watts I think). Don't be too hung up on current ratings, they can be misleading and damn near meaningless. My guess is the classic series requires less amps because of the A/B classification, which will also make the amp run cooler.

If it were me, I'd go with an HCA-1500 (new or used) given the price is a little less than the "classic" series, unless the additional connection/HT features are important to you.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • BSUfbfan
    BSUfbfan Posts: 201
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Ya, I'm looking for an HCA-1500 or HCA-1200II currently. I definitely don't need any of those features for my 2-channel rig, just RCA jacks and speaker terminals please.....;)
    SDA SRS 2.3
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,080
    edited March 2006
    Options
    ***Disclaimer*** I've never owned a Parasound product.

But this discussion reminds me of the 'Old" guard vs. the "New" guard when discussing Adcom amps. The 5xx series vs. the 5xxx series. Two similar design approaches using different components, two different sounding amps. Seems perhaps that's what's going on here with Parasound. But I'm sure just like Adcom (IMO) all the Parasound amps are still great performers, just a bit different on how they get the end result. And, yes each Parasound enthusiast will have their own opinion on why they prefer one over the other.

And specs have very little relevence in this discussion. Listen and decide which you prefer. Doro is very familiar with Parasound and JC designs. His comments shouldn't be taken lightly.

My 02c

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • steveinaz
    edited March 2006
    Options
    BSUfbfan wrote:
    Ya, I'm looking for an HCA-1500 or HCA-1200II currently. I definitely don't need any of those features for my 2-channel rig, just RCA jacks and speaker terminals please.....;)

Just remember the "ventilation factor" for the 1500.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Ferres
    Ferres Posts: 310
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Also some versions of the 1200II's run hotter than the others, not sure why. One of mine tends to get on the warm side. :)

I should also note that the 2200II is 20lbs heavier than the models you mentioned. Just incase it will be a factor.

Also, try to find someone who can fix these things incase some caps blow. :P
    Gear: Rotel RC 1082, Rotel RSP 1068 pre/pro, Rotel RMB1077 amp, Cayin CDT 15a CD player, S301 bluray.

Speakers: Tannoy DC sensys speakers, Paradigm Servo15 Sub, Velo Spl-1500r

Conditioner: Isotek :D
  • I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Ferres wrote:
    I should also note that the 2200II is 20lbs heavier than the models you mentioned. Just incase it will be a factor.

The coin I need to drop on a strong enough stand makes the tile floor look awful good. :)

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • BSUfbfan
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Hi guys-

Sorry to bump this thread again.

I went to the local hi-fi shop (Parasound,Krell,Rotel) to see if they had any used Parasound amps for sale, to no avail. However, they have a 9.5/10 Aragon 4004 MKII. for $650. I immediately put some money down so that I could at least do some research without getting it sold out from under me. I couldn't find a current specification on it, but the power is rated at 200 watts per channel at 8 ohms, so I'm thinking that this would be a good choice to run pretty much any SDA I own now (CRS+) and in the near future (SRS2's ;) ).

Any suggestions or comments on this amp? I used the search function but couldn't find much talk on Aragon's

Thanks.
    SDA SRS 2.3
  • steveinaz
    edited March 2006
    Options
    I-SIG wrote:
    The coin I need to drop on a strong enough stand makes the tile floor look awful good. :)

Wes

Build the "Steve custom redneck amp rack." 4 hockey pucks for feet (99 cents each), and a slab of 3/4" plywood or cement. All done.:D
  • heiney9
    edited March 2006
    Options
    The Aragon is a solid choice. Very nice amp. I believe it was made after Aragon was purchased by Mondial :confused: . This is a brick and morter store? $650 is at the high end, but for the confidence and perhaps gurantee of buying it from a reputable store it may be worth the extra coin. These typically sell on Audiogon for around $475-600, last I checked (the low end may have been an original MK I). It's always been on my list of amps to try. I know RuSsman owned one for awhile, maybe he'll chime in.

Personally I'd put it a step above the Rotel and Parasound......er maybe perhaps 1/2 step. Original Aragon's (before they were bought by Mondial) were known as the poor man's Krell. One of the designer's that went on to Krell used to be employed by Aragon. If my history is off someone will correct, but I'm pretty sure that's the story.

Bottom line: Great amp at a resonable price....not too terribly high, but not a blowout bargain. Get it, your search is over!! :D:p :cool:

H9

P.s. see if you can get them to come down on the price....can't hurt to try and negotiate.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Oh yeah...Your running SDA's...check to see if you can run this amp w/ the SDA's. I don't think the Aragon is common ground. I'd call Mondial and find out the situation and then see if it's adviseable to tie the negative speaker terminals together.

DO a search and see if this has been discussed before regarding the Aragon...seems like maybe it was.

H9

P.s. Which cable do you have for your SDA's?
  • heiney9
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Sorry for the multiple post....

I forgot...Mondial sold out to who ever owns Klipsch here's a link to the 4004II description, specs and owners manual.

http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=524&dmore=True&rmore=False

H9
  • heiney9
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Top off.....sexy!!
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Yeah, I love the heat sink/notch on those... I played around with one for awhile, but ended up going with the slightly cheaper adcom 555. $650 is a little steep with what I was finding awhile back. I think upper $400's to mid $500's is more in line with the market.
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • BSUfbfan
    edited March 2006
    Options
    heiney9 wrote:
    One of the designer's that went on to Krell used to be employed by Aragon. If my history is off someone will correct, but I'm pretty sure that's the story.

H9

P.s. see if you can get them to come down on the price....can't hurt to try and negotiate.

Thanks for the reply Heiney! I think you are right on the above. The 4004 MKII was designed by D'augastino (sp) who is now at Krell designing their amplifiers.

They dropped down to $600 and I am now an owner. :D

I just need to find out if it is commond ground, right? Because the SDA's with the umbilical attached have to see a commond ground, right?

Thanks guys.
    SDA SRS 2.3
  • heiney9
    edited March 2006
    Options
    Here's a couple links that may answer your question

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36227&highlight=aragon+common+ground

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35108&highlight=aragon+common+ground

especially post #10 of above

These may help, but do the research before you hook it up to the SDA's.

H9
  • BSUfbfan
    edited March 2006
    Options
    RuSsMaN has a 2004 "dual mono" Aragon which is the same design as the 4004 running to his SDA-SRS2's with no problem using blade/blade, which is what my CRS+ have.

Looks like I'm good to go, but I'll check across the negative terminals with my VOM to be sure I get a 0 ohm load before firing it up.

Thanks.
    SDA SRS 2.3
  • diamondsouled
    diamondsouled Posts: 1
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Old thread but just in case someone else is wondering about the same issue I tried mono bridging with my pair of HCA-600s and it produced lots of power but the levels had to be set way down and the sound quality suffered. In the manual they recommend dual half stereo operation instead of the bridged mono. You don't get the full power as with bridged mono but around 80 watts a channel and much better sonics because the power supply is only driving one channel. Also you can run less than 8 ohm impedance loads, which you can't in mono bridged. You can use either channel, you just leave one channel open and leave the switch set to stereo. The manual is over on HiFi Engine.

Cheers

Lar

Post edited by diamondsouled on
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Odd thread....that's 11 years old ? lol

Did you run yours bridged on SDA speakers ? Sound quality suffered too ? Can't think of a reason to actually do it then.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable