impact

Aaron
Aaron Posts: 1,853
I was over at this guy's house this weekend, and it turns out he has a HT. It was a Klipsch (gag) 6.1 setup driven by an Onkyo receiver. His display was a 53" Sony which looked enormous in this room, but the image quality looked worse than my cheap 27" TV. The thing that really grabbed me was how much impact and presence his subwoofer had. I mean, you really felt the bass. My PSW150 certainly doesn't give me that experience, though I think it might be tighter. I suspect part of the problem is the small rooms that I keep sticking my HT into. Still, I know my sub can't deliver that much impact. Subs are one area that I've never paid that much attention to. I haven't gone out of my way to demo any of them either. After hearing the Klipsch, it really makes me wonder what a good sub like an SVS, Rel, or Servo-15 sounds like. The Wilson Watch Dog or Krell Master Reference can probably break bones!

Aaron
Post edited by Aaron on

Comments

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited May 2002
    Which sub did he have??

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited May 2002
    No joke, blah blah blah, WHAT SUB WAS IT?????

-R
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited May 2002
    Well, my Sonosub gave me a new appreciation for what bass felt like.

My old Velo CT-120 had good bass, but I had no idea what 'good' bass was until I built this thing.

Friday, I had a full house and we watched 'Rules of Engagement'. Everyone was very impressed and said they had never felt bass like this before. When you cannot hear a thing yet your pants and shirt sleeves vibrate, that is good base.

I have yet to run a final LFE sweep to see what my true numbers are, maybe this weekend.

What is also amazing is, even at very low listening levels the bass just fills in so nicely, something my Velo could not do.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited May 2002
    Troy & Russ:
    Not sure. I'm guessing it was the KSW-12 (12"). I don't think he had the 15".

Ron:
    That's the kind of bass I think I'd get with a Servo-15 or SVS.

Aaron
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited May 2002
    VERY low on my list of priorities....I'm pretty happy with my p-dime.

However....I think if I were to do something, it woud be a passive (a la SVS type affair) with an amp or receiver (either of which would be at least equal to most sub plate amps I think) of my choice.......

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut