FS Polk SDA-SRS in SF BAY AREA

min888
min888 Posts: 42
edited February 2006 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
I have a good condition pair of SDA-SRS (comes with factory interconnect cable) that I would like to sell for 1800. These are for pick up only since I don't have a truck and can't carry them out myself. Please go to audiogon.com to see the pics. Don't know how to post pics here.
Post edited by min888 on

Comments

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited February 2006
    Gee, a one time poster pointing to a top dollar ad on audiogon.

What a pal.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited February 2006
    Self promotion of something that you have listed first on another site is seriously frowned upon here. Good luck with your sale.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• MSkeezer
    MSkeezer Posts: 1,183
    edited February 2006
    one two punch, and he's down...
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited February 2006
    MSkeezer wrote:
    one two punch, and he's down...

,,,,and maybe out :rolleyes:
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • doggie750
    doggie750 Posts: 1,160
    edited February 2006
    PAW PAW PAW.................no bell ring to save you ;)
    Godspeed,
    D0661E

AVR:Pioneer Elite SC-07
    Surrounds: RTis
    2channel:Rti100 (carver driven
    Sub:SVS PB12-Plus/2
    Dedicated AMPs:Adcom GFA535, 2xCarver 1.5t, Carver m1.0t
    Wsrn:Hitachi ultra vision LCD60, 32XBR400
    PowerConditioner: MonsterC HTS5100
    PS3, Toshiba HD A2, etc: SonySACD/ Panasonic gears DIVX.

MR3LIGION: Polkaudio; GSXR; E46; Reeftank;
    Odyclub; Xsimulator; Sony; Zune; Canon
  • min888
    edited February 2006
    What's the beef here? Is'nt this a flea market forum where people post ads? Do you have be a long time forum participant in order to post a for sale ad??? I posted my ad in Audiogon and somebody there told me to try it here and since I can't post pics here, so I just point people to look at the pics on Audiogon. Not everyone knows all of the forum on the net. I don't browse the web for forums, but I wish I found this one earlier because then maybe I could cure the little bit harsh and not very detailed sound problem from my POLKs which is the reason I want to sell and find something else. Also the POLKs clip a little bit early, I like too much bass. I use 2 Denon POA-1500 to bi-amp them so I think I have adequate power. Anyway I'm just trying to sell my Polks.
  • screename
    screename Posts: 321
    edited February 2006
    If it's advice your looking for then you have come to the right place. I would say replace the tweeters with the silk domes from Polk; somewhere here you will find the model number or someone chime in here. Also, you may want to check the poly switches.
    These are two things I did to my SDA's that made a HUGE differance. Once you have finished the upgrade I doubt you will want to sell them as several thousand more would have to be spent to get something close.

Good Luck.
  • okiepolkie
    okiepolkie Posts: 2,258
    edited February 2006
    As for clipping, your speakers probably aren't what is causing the problem. Speakers begin to distort when they are fed distorted(clipped) signals. Most speakers will play very loud, even at low frequencies, when given enough power. I'm not familiar with the amplifier you are using, so that may not be the cause.

As far as the harshness goes, I would recommend the silk dome replacements as well.
    Tschüss
    Zach
  • F1nut
    edited February 2006
    I explained what the beef is.

If you really want to keep them and upgrade the speakers, I and others would be glad to help, but I'm not going to waste my time if you're just going to sell them.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,050
    edited February 2006
    The clipping is most definetly amp related as the SDA-SRS have been know to handle upwards of 1600 watts and still stay composed.

Ditto to what F1 and BDT said.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • seo
    seo Posts: 305
    edited February 2006
    min888 wrote:
    What's the beef here? Is'nt this a flea market forum where people post ads? Do you have be a long time forum participant in order to post a for sale ad??? I posted my ad in Audiogon and somebody there told me to try it here and since I can't post pics here, so I just point people to look at the pics on Audiogon.

It's all in the presentation. I sold some speakers here, as my very first post actually. However, I perused the forum a bit first, and posted my ad accordingly with due respect.

I've hung around due to a lot of good information here.

Oh, and you can post pics, look under "additional options" and click on "manage attachments".

Like any internet forum, this is a community and each community has its own standards.

YMMV
    Signature goes here
  • min888
    edited February 2006
    I did saw the add photo thing but my pictures are way too big so the forum does not allow me to post the pics. I would like to keep them if I can fix the little faults of the Polks, I noticed these little faults after I audition a money doesn't matter much system consist of McIntosh gears and B&W 801Ds. I don't think I have power problem since I tried my ADCOM GFA-5500 (I think about 250 Watts per) on the low and Denon on the highs and they still clip or bottom out when I turn it a bit louder with lots of bass. I have a Sony V-Fet Integrated amp using as a pre-amp. They sounded wonderful before the audition, maybe I shouldn't have went. Also there is a temptation of an Infinity Beta for sale for 4500 on Audiogon.
  • F1nut
    edited February 2006
    Min888, I'll address what needs to be done a little later this evening.

President of Club Polk

• DiscoMike
    DiscoMike Posts: 114
    edited February 2006
    Paw paw paw... scratch scratch scratch !!! Look at me, Look at me !!!

I would be interested if you are willing to ship (if this were only an option !!!). Unfortunately pickup is not an option for me as I am in the NYC area.
  • F1nut
    edited February 2006
    Ok, couple of questions.

You say the bass bottoms out. How loud are you playing it, ie. what setting on the volume knob...10 o'clock, 12 o'clock, 2 o'clock?

If you have tone controls on the (integrated) pre amp, are you running them flat?

If you want to keep them, there are tweeter upgrades and crossover upgrades that will most likely take care of the other issues you're concerned about.

President of Club Polk

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited February 2006
    Ahem... may I suggest moving this to the Vintage area?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • min888
    edited February 2006
    Which forum should I start to ask my questions for pointers/advice on how to make my Polks sounds better? To F1nut, yes I do have tone control, set the turnover freq to 125, and crank it all the way plus a bit more with an eq. It's like you have a 15/18" sub in the room. My volume knob is only about 9~10 O'clock when it's starting to clip/bottom out, maybe I boost up the bass way too much, but I like to shake the house :p . I should get a Velodyne 18 incher. Also how much should I expect to shell out for the upgrades and is it worth it or try to sell and try something new like Von Shkeiwert (I read the reviews and they are all glowing but until u try it yourself u'll never know). THanks in advance for your opinion/adivice/pointer.
  • F1nut
    edited February 2006
    Min888, we'll take this discussion here. http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37646

President of Club Polk