Antique Sound Labs Wave Line 1 - Tube Pre-Amp

Options
dorokusai
dorokusai Posts: 25,576
edited February 2006 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
ASL Wave Line 1 Tube Pre-Amp - 9/10 - *SOLD*

If you want to try out a tube pre-amp for a low investment, this is a nice ride. It's from ASL's Wave line which is pretty unconventional in the design, as you can see. It reminds of something retro, yet not really....either way it's interesting. This pre-amp will wet your appetite for tubes. I used this pre with the Parasound in the other advertisment and it's a fantastic combination. Either way, this will allow you to introduce some tube warmth into your rig.

4 Inputs/ 2 Outputs
Seperate Power Supply
IEC Connection
NO Remote
NO Phono Input

I'll include the original Electro-Harmonix 12AU7, as well as a NOS JAN 5814 for immediate tube rolling. The 12AU7 is a very common tube and you have a ton of choices for experimentaion.

Includes: Actual unit and power supply, power cord, user manual, EH 12AU7 and NOS JAN 5814.

Thanks for looking and happy listening :D
CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
Post edited by dorokusai on

Comments

• dorokusai
    edited February 2006
    Options
    I just noticed the photo date is wrong....it's not that old, beings they didn't even exist then. Sorry for the snafu.

Russman has expressed interest in another thread, but please feel free to let me know if you are as well.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited February 2006
    Options
    I'm going to back away, and let someone else take advantage - if no one does, I'll be back to bag it.

GREAT preamp, I've owned one before. Plenty of gain, separate power supply (low noise), and easy easy easy way to get into tubes.

To sweeten the pot, I'll send the buyer an NOS GE black plate 12AU7, and an NOS JAN 6189.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • dorokusai
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Fred - You still interested?

If anyone else is interested you now have 4 tubes to roll instead of 1....could be alot of fun.

Thanks Russman :D
  • fredv
    fredv Posts: 923
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Man, got the damned flu and have been down for the last 24 hours ....
    Can I ask a dumb question? How does this compare to the Dodd ELP and AES AE-3 in SQ?

Thanks!!

-fredv-
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited February 2006
    Options
    *BUMP*

I also am interested in how this would compare to a Dodd ELP.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • dorokusai
    edited February 2006
    Options
    I think the Dodd is superior in resolution and clarity. I think the design is simpler in the layout and the components internally are some of the best. On the flip side, it's short on inputs and I personally think the gain is too high in stock form. It will also reveal what's not working right with your system very quickly, whereas the ASL is a little softer and forgiving.

If I was just getting into tubes and pre-amps specifically, I would suggest getting a slow start and not getting into something like a Dodd. Get some experience with tubes and the sonic characteristics of a tube pre-amp with a starter piece. This pre-amp offers four tubes right out of the box to get some experience and tone down for your audio history notebook.

In regards to the AES AE3, I don't think it's much different sonically. Aesthetically night and day. The AES is just low line Cary Audio IMO. AES, ASL and Radii are a wash in this bracket as they are very similar in design and construction. The Radii amps and ASL monoblocks that I've owned are identical in construction.

That's my honest opinion.
  • fredv
    edited February 2006
    Options
    audiobliss, I bought an AR SP6 pre-tube from Russ, and it is on the route. I am still somewhat undecisive how the money to be spent - a bedroom pre-tube or a tube-amp to mate to the AR. If you are interested in the ASL, go ahead.

-fredv-
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited February 2006
    Options
    My bad, I should have clarified. I was just curious to see how it compared to the Dodd ELP. That's more than I can fork out for a pre right now, so I'm not interested.

Thanks for offering me the chance to get it, but I think you need two tube pres! :eek: :D
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • dorokusai
    edited February 2006
    Options
    I'll drop $25 off the top to $300....help any?
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited February 2006
    Options
    I'd scarf it, but I am getting pre heavy. Damn...
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited February 2006
    Options
    AB,
    This should match up to your Wave 8s perfectly.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited February 2006
    Options
  • dorokusai
    edited February 2006
    Options
    He's online for another one at the moment...we've chatted, it's all good. I wish him luck.
  • dorokusai
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Russman - Thank you for your offer of additional tubes! Save them for a rainy day.

This piece is off to Audiogon, thanks for the interest and comments.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Amazing. World class, dead silent preamp, extra tubes, plenty of ins and outs, separate power supply - and for less than a **** car payment.

HELLO POLKIES.

Mark, it should sell in a snap on the 'gon, if you want to list the tubes too, I'll send them onward and upward to your local tomorrow.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • dorokusai
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Thanks broham, I'll let it ride over there as is. I love ya' for the experienced help. It's all about timing.
  • fredv
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Sold. YGC :-)

-fredv-
  • dorokusai
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Payment received, AM shipping, tracking via PM or Email. Let me know when it arrives and all is well.

Thank you Fred!
  • fredv
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Since Robert has the parasound, these 2 companions are not that far away (at most 45 mins drive). Probably an unintentional outcome!!! Thank you, Mark.

-fredv-
  • dorokusai
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Cool, you two should plan a road trip someday :)
  • fredv
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Hi Mark, just want to let you know. The pre arrived safely. I have openned it yet, but I will never worry about your packing :-) It is going to be a lot fun this weekend!!!

Have a good weekend,

-fredv-
  • dorokusai
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Woo Hoo!! :D