ambient room noise

Options
karpiel666
karpiel666 Posts: 173
edited January 2006 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Im glad i am moving soon, my ht room averages 50db with 80db spikes with nothing on ecept ceiling fan. with the fan off it is around 45db with spikes up to 60. during the test no dogs barked, no one talked and i almost passed out with how slow and quiet i was breathing. anyone else with loud rooms?
dvd player: samsung DVD-HD850
receiver: Denon avr5700
center: polk cs400
fronts: polk rt800i
surrounds: Unknown Polk monitor? series.
sub: svs pb12 isd/v
tv: 46 inch samsung
Post edited by karpiel666 on

Comments

• PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited January 2006
    Options
    The noise floor is very interesting to me. Its strange how there is low level noise present all the time, even when nothing is on. I can't remember what mine is, its been awhile.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited January 2006
    Options
    That's one of the benefits of living out in the boonies. It's quiet as hell here at night, even when you step outside; especially in the winter when no air conditioners are running. Dead quiet. I'd bet the noise level in my family room at/after 11pm would be below 20dB. I can hear my system late at night with the volume knob just nudged above 0 gain.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited January 2006
    Options
    Very interesting, I've never thought to measure the ambient noise. Whatever, I can't hear it when the rig is kicking anyway! :D
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited January 2006
    Options
    My room is around the 50 dB mark as well. I'm not quite sure how accurate my spl meter is but it's my only means of measuring spl. The only thing I had running in my room was my laptop (very quiet - no fans on it running and sitting about 5 feet away) and my mini fridge (waited for it to shut off so it wasn't making any noise).

I didn't expect my room to be that noisy. Maybe that's why I love snow so much. When you're out in the middle of nowhere with a few feet of snow it's amazingly quiet.

I can also hear my rig play with the volume knob all the way down...
  • karpiel666
    karpiel666 Posts: 173
    edited January 2006
    Options
    amulford wrote:
    . Whatever, I can't hear it when the rig is kicking anyway! :D

thats how I felt at first but then I discovered a site that talked about the dynamic range of your room or something about how if your room is 20db and the maximum listening level is 90 db then you have a range of 70db, or something like that. I think for listening to rock and stuff its not too important, but it might increase the scare factor in some movies which have silent moments leading to a scare.
    dvd player: samsung DVD-HD850
    receiver: Denon avr5700
    center: polk cs400
    fronts: polk rt800i
    surrounds: Unknown Polk monitor? series.
    sub: svs pb12 isd/v
    tv: 46 inch samsung