Q RE 2005 Polkfest--test happen?

2+2
2+2 Posts: 546
edited December 2005 in Gatherings & Special Events
There was a thread (I am guessing early spring) where a cable test was going to be set up for the 2005 Polkfest. A polkster (forgot who) swore he would be able to ID individual interconnects during the test. Did this test ever happen?

For the record, I (and my wife) have heard clear differences between interconnects in our listenting.....
System 1: Martin Logan Vantage, Rotel RC 1070, B&K Reference 200.2, Music Hall DAC 15.2, Yamaha 2300

System 2: LSi15 w/db840, Marantz SR8400, Rotel 1080, RM6800 (C&S), Sony X2020ES

System 3: LSi7, Yamaha SW215, Music Hall Maven, Music Hall MMF CD25 w/627opamps

System 4: RTi100, Harman Kardon AVR 230, Panasonic DVD
Post edited by 2+2 on

Comments

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited November 2005
    That polkster would be me - but with the new job and all I wasn't able to make it out to Polkfest.

I know there are others in the group also that can hear a difference, not sure if someone else stepped up to the plate and did the test or not...
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited November 2005
    and here's the thread in question...

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27555&highlight=hear+a+difference

I'd still like to be able to do this with a group - really hoping I'll make it to the next Polkfest - I've still never had a chance to visit Polk HQ, and that's on the short list of things to do before I die - I was pretty upset I didn't get to make it a couple months back, but the new job took precedance...
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited November 2005
    and it's not like I'm some kind of freak or something with super hearing - I bet more people would be able to hear a difference than you think.

My friend, who I wouldn't even call and audio enthusiast, is able to hear the difference between cables on the extreme ends of the spectrum...
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited November 2005
    My hearing is not stellar, at ALL. In fact my left ear is in real bad shape thanks to an M60 machinegun and a lost ear plug, but I can hear differences in cables readily. I think the last time I tested mine, I topped at about 13.5kHz without needing serious gain to hear above that.

We had a freq generator in our shop, and just for fun we'd test our hearing from time to time. Pretty cool piece of HP equipment. I really struggled to hear the 13kHz tone, to me it sounded like extremely high-pitched hissing steam.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • 2+2
    2+2 Posts: 546
    edited November 2005
    Bummer....I was hoping it took place and you would be able to silence all the nay-sayers! Maybe 2006?
    System 1: Martin Logan Vantage, Rotel RC 1070, B&K Reference 200.2, Music Hall DAC 15.2, Yamaha 2300

System 2: LSi15 w/db840, Marantz SR8400, Rotel 1080, RM6800 (C&S), Sony X2020ES

System 3: LSi7, Yamaha SW215, Music Hall Maven, Music Hall MMF CD25 w/627opamps

System 4: RTi100, Harman Kardon AVR 230, Panasonic DVD
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited November 2005
    Based on the responses in that thread, I don't think all the nay-sayers would be silenced even when I am able to successfully 'pass' the test...
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited November 2005
    Polkmaniac wrote:
    Based on the responses in that thread, I don't think all the nay-sayers would be silenced even when I am able to successfully 'pass' the test...

Let the Nay sayers be Nay sayers, it's there loss.

Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited November 2005
    That's pretty much my attitude at this point Dan...
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited December 2005
    mantis wrote:
    Let the Nay sayers be Nay sayers, it's there loss.

Dan

So you guys are saying that IC's make a difference that only human ears can detect and no microphone can, right?! You're right, I am at a loss...

Regards,
    ChainYanker
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited December 2005
    How do you measure cables with a mic?? :)
    There are definite measurable differences in cables, but there's questions about if the human ear can hear those differences or if its our brain playing tricks on us.
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2005
    Why would it silence the nay-sayers? 20 years of scientific ABX tests havent silenced the golden ears of the world.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,967
    edited December 2005
    I find it very hard to believe that someone listening to their own system... that they listen to about everyday with all kinds of music and those few great songs you like to listen to - cant listen to one of those songs he's memorized by how it sounds and cant go and pick it apart when something new has been plugged up.

However, I have no problems believing you cant hear the differences when its not your stuff, not your room. Heck I could take my system and put it somewhere like the den and get a whole new feeling for it again.

Its not about - 30 second clip... switch to cable b... 30 second clip - did you hear a difference. Thats not an accurate test.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited December 2005
    I'm not getting into this again, no way...
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2005
    Polkmaniac wrote:
    I'm not getting into this again, no way...

I say that everytime too. I just cant help myself! :p
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D