Tweaks & Mods That Don't Work

Options
Early B.
Early B. Posts: 7,900
edited December 2005 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
A particular tweak or mod may work for some people, and for others it's a waste of money. What tweaks did NOT work for you?

My list includes tube dampers, rubberized vibration isolation (similar to Vibrapods), "audiophile" outlet, and "upgraded" subwoofer cables. The stupidest thing I ever did was varnish the inside of my speakers so the sound waves would not get "trapped" in the microscopic crevices of the wood. :o
HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
Post edited by Early B. on

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Ive never tried it...

But Im going to go out on a limb and saying cable risers... are a joke... lol
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Early B. wrote:
    varnish the inside of my speakers so the sound waves would not get "trapped" in the microscopic crevices of the wood. :o

Wow...I would have guessed that would be worse for a speaker. Don't you typically want to minimize reflections inside the cabinet?

Anyway, so far I am with you on the Vibrapods. Can't say that I have noticed a marked improvement.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • VR3
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Ive done something similar to vibrapods...

I took a sheet of foam and cut it to size and put it under my CDP - 3/4" Sonic Barrier Foam Pad - and my CDP is on the bottom of my TV stand.... and with a SVS right beside it - it would skip every once in a blue moon.. havnt had it skip YET with that foam pad under it...
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • cmy330go
    edited November 2005
    Options
    I certainly see where they could be of benefit in an extreme situation like that.

Gotta love those SVS subs!
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited November 2005
    Options
    These tweaks are the greatest! Don't laugh until you've tried it. Name of CP member withheld due to witness protection statutes. :D
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • cmy330go
    edited November 2005
    Options
    These tweaks are the greatest! Don't laugh until you've tried it. Name of CP member withheld due to witness protection statutes. :D

Aren't those made by Klipsch?? :D;)
    HT

2 CH
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited November 2005
    Options

so that was for XM satalite reception...right..?!!
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • PolknPepsi
    PolknPepsi Posts: 781
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Double runs of cable from my amp to my bi-wirable speakers. They now sound better with a single run of a different type.
    Denon #2900, Denon stereo receiver, Conrad Johnson Sonographe 120 amp, Blue Jeans cables, and Klipsch RF-7's
  • Dennis Gardner
    edited November 2005
    Options
    beardog03 wrote:
    so that was for XM satalite reception...right..?!!

Actually, these were tried to enhance SDA effect.

Old Fun SDA thread.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • cmy330go
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Dennis,

You may want to consider a patent on those, or before you know it Bose will be selling them for $299. ;)
    HT

2 CH
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Tweaks that flunked:

1. Bi-wiring
    2. Power conditioning (actually made things worse, less slam/dynamics)
    3. Monster Cable speaker wire: Do yourself a favor and buy a $6, 50ft roll of 18awg Radio Shack solid core copper hook-up wire, better results and waaaaayyyyyy cheaper.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Walker Audio SST Contact Enhancer

I picked this up just to find out for myself and found absolutely no benefit whatsoever. I gave it to away. You win some, you lose some.

However, I regularly use CAIG De-Oxit/Pro-Gold to clean up all my connections and it works very well on vintage gear, as they've typically seen alot of use. It's just a cleaner, not an enhancment, but dust and dirt accumulates on older gear, especially if you didn't own it.

Cable Risers

I've tried DIY Styrofoam cups and even my favorite company, Signal Cable Acrylic Cable Risers . I found absolutely no benefit whatsoever with either product. There is a market for this type of product, as it's sold by more than a handful of manufacturers. I just didn't get anything out of it. You see quite a few of these at trade shows, in ALOT of rooms, so there you go.

Bi-Wiring

I've only owned a few pairs of speakers that were Bi-Wireable but found no benefit whatsoever. I would like to try Bi-Amping sometime, but I've never been hurting for power, so it's very low on the list of priorities.

Disclaimer: Just because I didn't find value in the aforementioned products or ideas, doesn't mean you won't. You should try things on your own, and establish your own opinion, not the opinion of others.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited November 2005
    Options
    I have a wall right behind my seating location. A tweek I played with was putting a piece of Sonex foam behind me to eliminate high frequency reflections from that wall. It was weird. I had the impression of total silence behind me and a big full sound in front. VERY unnatural.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • VR3
    edited November 2005
    Options
    I have done decided that when I get my own house...

Im going to have atleast 3 feet (if not more, much more) space behind me when I sit down... even if it looks weird.

Music just sounds better away from the rear wall. Completely IMO.
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited November 2005
    Options
    -I have a denon 3803 driving RTi8's and CSi5 in the front stage; I bought 3 Outlaw monoblocks because I thought I'd hear a difference. I Did not. Returned the Outlaws.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • Early B.
    edited November 2005
    Options
    HTrookie wrote:
    -I have a denon 3803 driving RTi8's and CSi5 in the front stage; I bought 3 Outlaw monoblocks because I thought I'd hear a difference. I Did not. Returned the Outlaws.
    I'm surprised you didn't hear a difference, i.e. improvement. Those monos should have smoked that Denon.

Well, that's the weird thing about this hobby -- it's so freakin' super subjective.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

• Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Early B. wrote:
    I'm surprised you didn't hear a difference, i.e. improvement. Those monos should have smoked that Denon.

Well, that's the weird thing about this hobby -- it's so freakin' super subjective.

Yeah..I was looking for an $800 improvement...was not there....for me.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • Early B.
    edited November 2005
    Options
    I hear ya. Sold my HT amps a couple of months ago. Sounded great, but I preferred the cash instead.

• dbnh
    dbnh Posts: 194
    edited November 2005
    Options
    Sorry to hear one forum writer didn't have a good experience with SST; my time with the product has been the exact opposite. As for cable risers - I never bought any, but I do fashion cable lifters from wine corks (not the rubbery corks, I use the real cork and notch a piece out for the cable to rest in and get it off the carpet) and at least I haven't heard any sound degradation. Never bought isolation platforms outside of Vibrapods (I have had success with Vibrapods), but got free slabs of granite and marble from a local stone business that work great under my amps, preamp, JD-100, TT.

In my earlier days of audio, I purchased Monster ICs. That was a mistake $onically, esp. when compared to some fairly low cost ICs out there. I should say that at least the Monster ICs were better than the crappy ICs that shipped stock with my old Sony carosel CDP, old Teac cassette deck, etc.
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    edited December 2005
    Options
    I've got the Vibrapods and the Signal Cable risers. I can't begin to tell you the improvements they make in my system. It probably sounds 100 times better.....no , 1000 times...no, wait....1,000,000 times better! Yeah, that's the ticket! 1 million times better! It's like a sheet of concrete was removed from in front of my speakers :cool:
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • cmy330go
    edited December 2005
    Options
    dragon1952 wrote:
    I've got the Vibrapods and the Signal Cable risers. I can't begin to tell you the improvements they make in my system. It probably sounds 100 times better.....no , 1000 times...no, wait....1,000,000 times better! Yeah, that's the ticket! 1 million times better! It's like a sheet of concrete was removed from in front of my speakers :cool:

You must work for Mapleshade. :)
    HT

2 CH
  • dragon1952
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Not quite :p But I did get one of their catalogs in the mail the other day. Not sure how I got on their mailing list but talk about tweak city :rolleyes:
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • Dennis Gardner
    edited December 2005
    Options
    dragon1952 wrote:
    sheet of concrete

No need for handcuffs or date rape drugs at Dragon's house.............come here honey and slip between my sheets.... if you can lift them. :D

• phoneisbusy
    phoneisbusy Posts: 867
    edited December 2005
    Options
    dragon1952 wrote:

This coincide with the time you moved the speakers from behind the concrete columns? :D

regards

Dave
    Time is the best teacher. Unfortunately it kills all its students.
  • dragon1952
    edited December 2005
    Options
    Nyuck, nyuck, nyuck. Wise guys! (he says in his best Curly the Stooge voice) :D
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited December 2005
    Options
    I tried something siilar to Vibrapods. I can't say I noticed an improvement but they did really help me place my equipment in the rack without scratching. I also tried that whole cable elevation thing but for HT it's a little ridiculous.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • dragon1952
    edited December 2005
    Options
    I don't know man. That static electricity thing is real. We recently went through a period of very low humidity and I was getting zapped really good every time I touched my gear. If you've got carpet and low humidity it's not that far fetched that it could create havoc with your speaker cables.
  • dbnh
    dbnh Posts: 194
    edited December 2005
    Options
    dragon1952 wrote:
    I don't know man. That static electricity thing is real. We recently went through a period of very low humidity and I was getting zapped really good every time I touched my gear. If you've got carpet and low humidity it's not that far fetched that it could create havoc with your speaker cables.

This is one reason why I put cork under my cables, to get them off the carpets (as well as off the baseboard FHW heat covers). I also like to use corks to keep ICs from touching one another, etc.
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited December 2005
    Options
    I dunno..maybe because I always have had tile?
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited December 2005
    Options
    That's an awesome idea... use corks as IC spacers. Thanks I'll have to try that. Probably won't make a difference but it's worth a shot.

Stuff that hasn't worked for me:

Different cd player stands / risers - I've had it on carpet, mdf, marble, spike things on marble and I can't pick out any difference.

Grills on or off - maybe my LSi grills use good fabric and frames?

Making an exact copy of a redbook cd to theoretically make a copy that is of greater quality - big story around this one... sharper grooves because the disc is new = less errors reading disc etc...

Going from bare wire to banana plugs and vice versa.

For a while when I would be listening to my system I could make my music skip by sliding out of my recliner. Somehow the static created by me sliding only affected the sound when I was using the coax hookup - it didn't do it when I was using the analog outputs of my dvd player.