Onkyo TXSR-600, 4 ohm speakers

Options
grathol
grathol Posts: 2
edited April 2002 in Technical/Setup
Hi there,
I ordered an Onkyo TXSR-600 receiver and some Polk speakers (4 RTi28's, 1 CSi30, and 1 PSW250). The speakers are 4 ohm speakers according to the owners manual, and Onkyo's web site (http://www.onkyousa.com/newprod.cfm) lists this:

80 W/Chx6 into 8 ohm(20Hz-20kHz)
105 W/Chx6 into 6 ohm(20Hz-20kHz)

I realize I only have a 5.1 setup (I don't plan on hooking up a rear center yet) but the 2 power outputs are listing 6 and 8 ohm outputs whereas the speaker is 4 ohm. I don't have the receiver yet (special ordered, apparently they're hard to come by as they are so new) but I'm wondering if there will be any problems/damage to the speakers or amplifier due to the lower impedance. Can anyone help me out or direct me somewhere that I can figure out what might happen? Thanks.
Post edited by grathol on

Comments

• grathol
    grathol Posts: 2
    edited April 2002
    Options
    The plot thickens.... I did a little calling around and some research on the web, along with the owners manuals, and here's what I've come up with:

The Polk web site lists the RTi28 speakers as "Nominal 8 ohm impedance", and the CSi30 as "Nominal 8 ohm impedance"... when you download the PDF manual is says it is "Compatible with 8 ohm outputs"... However, the back of the actual printed manual for each of these products lists themselves as a "Nominal 4 ohm impedance." I tried calling Polk, and they weren't open today (Sunday) so I'll try calling again tomorrow, but does anyone else here have any more information than I about this?
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited April 2002
    Options
    i think the rt-28i & cs-30i are 8 ohms, the only polk you should worry about is the polk lsi line they are 4ohms.
    so you should be alright, go ahead and hook them up and injoy.

and wecome to the polk forum, grathol
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.