Anything wrong with 2ch?

matthew_2
matthew_2 Posts: 52
edited April 2002 in Technical/Setup
What would be wrong with me getting a 2ch reciever? I allways here people talking about setting to small and such.. Well, with a good reciever, (75wpc, 42amps) I think it should be enough?

Has anyone ever compaired the HK2ch reciever with 75WPC, (cheeper one) and the avr120?

Power is important, even though my new speakers are very effecient.

Any recomendations would be great. Other brands are welcome.

THANKS
Post edited by matthew_2 on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2002
    We LOVE 2ch round' here. If you are pondering a purchase soon, and need a receiver on a budget, look on eBay...

The Nakamichi RE10 is going for well under 2 franklins, and offers up a clean 95wpc.....

If you can loose the tuner, ac4l.com has the Marantz 7200 integrated amp for $299, and thats 100 pure watts of Marantz power....

Hk makes high current designs, and is a good choice also.....

2ch is the shiznit, at least as far as I'm concerned. What speakers will you be using?

Cheers,
    Russ

(I did not mention seperates, because you didn't)
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited April 2002
    Matthew_2,
    There is nothing wrong with 2 channel. As a matter of fact many prefer 2 channels. Russ is right about ebay but be wary and read the sellers feedback. Read every single word of the add. Almost all of my systems have come from ebay and I have never had a problem but many have. Bad amps, busted up equipment, bad guys selling crap...etc. Over all ebay has save me more than 50% off list. Go with separates if you can and that way you can upgrade one piece at a time when you get in the mood. Only 2 posts? Welcome!
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • OrangeToupee
    OrangeToupee Posts: 488
    edited April 2002
    Russ, isn't this the guy who experienced the Klipsch-conniption a little while back? If so, then I think he'll be using some high efficiency Klipsch speakers.
  • matthew_2
    edited April 2002
    Thanks guys! Yes I'll be using klipsch towers. (new, got em 2 days ago!!!!) I'm thinking of naming them. :p

Anyways, I might hold back on the amp for a little while. Snow is allmost melted, and I need to do some mods on the bike. Also, I start driving soon, and need to pay insurnace.

Thanks for the info. My speakers can handle the power of most , mid priced amps, and all high priced recievers.
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited April 2002
    I feel that manufacturers have dropped the ball since 5.1 when it comes to 2ch. I'm all about Vintage. There is (possibly was) a real nice Marantz receiver (75w/ch?) on the Flea Market thread. I'd pick this tried and true hunk of stereo over any stereo receiver that I've seen in the retails. I would've snatched it up, but I just got a Dynaco ST120 amp. If my; presumably good, preamp wasn't fried I'd be jamming right now.

P.S. That's him!:mad:
    Make it Funky! :)
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited April 2002
    For current-model 2-ch rcvrs, there's also Rotel, NAD, Marantz, Denon, Onkyo, and if you really want to shell out the bucks, a Magnum Dynalab. The very cheapest ones are the Best Buy stuff like Sony & Technics.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited April 2002
    Anything wrong with 2ch?
    Hell yeah......it's only 2 channels ;)

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2002
    Typical HT Enthusiast response....

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited April 2002
    Gidrah mentioned earlier and bears repeating.....that Marantz that was on the flea market is or was a proverbial steal.....the older Marantz 22-series was quality stuff.....lots of good 2ch receivers out there to be had cheap because of the HT explosion. I wouldn't get all spun up on power ratings as (1) Klipsch are very efficient (2) More is not always better

I wouldn't rule out an integrated amp either....

Troy

transmitting from the barrio at Lackland AFB TX..........
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited April 2002
    Anything wrong with 2ch?

No, but you wwill need a very good CDplayer, I mean very good...
  • matthew_2
    edited April 2002
    Yes, I would need a VERY good CD player. I figure, If stuff can't fly past my head, (the horns can make it sound LIKE there are speakers to the side, but not quite) then music should be AWSOME. Anyways, I would not want to have music in 5.1

What would be a good integrated amp (better then recievers, who needs raido???) for cheep. I can't buy any here, so I could TRY getting a credit card.

Thanks for the replies!
  • OrangeToupee
    OrangeToupee Posts: 488
    edited April 2002
    I've heard that those Jolida integrated amps are good at calming those crazy horns, and that they mate quite well. Here
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited April 2002
    check ebay.....there are LOTS of integrated amps out there. Hell, check local pawn shops, thrift shops etc. etc.......

A tuner can be added on the cheap as well.

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited April 2002
    Is there anything wrong with 2 channel?????
    Is there anything wrong with rain?
    debatable isn't it!!!!!!!
    It's all good to me.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • gidrah
    edited April 2002
    But why would you need a better CD player for 2ch? This is what CD was made for!!! I don't understand this line of thought.

I LOVE music. That's why I'm here. While I'm sure that DVDA/SACD have their merits, the library hasn't made me make that plunge yet. You can look at your bells and whistles, I'll just listen to my music. BTW: HV is no slouch either.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited April 2002
    If lots of folks want to pretend that they are in the middle of a movie set with the 5.1,7.1 systems that's fine. I want to pretend that I'm sitting front center with the likes of Keith Moon (The Who for you youngin's) beating the hell out of his drums in my face not behind or on the side of me.
    TWO CHANNEL MUSIC RULES!!!

A nice Sony ES cd player might be a good choice & invest $ in speaker/interconnect cables.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• gidrah
    edited April 2002
    I love Keith Moon. Although we may have different opinions on The Who in general. But that's just me.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited April 2002
    different strokes...different folk's.........
    I like apples....you like pears......
    in the end there can be only one................
    In my end there is all who comes......
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.