Making my own speakers?

Options
Pablo
Pablo Posts: 723
edited September 2005 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
My wife wants to get rid of my old stuff in the living room because she doesn't want to take up the room. (It's an old JVC & some mall pinnacles. Everything in my signiture is downstairs). So I thought of in wall speakers, but then thought, "why not build my own"? I was thinking of maybe turning my fireplace mantle into a speaker. I was thinking of maybe using a couple of small full range speakers. It's about 6' wide, so I should have plenty of room. I'm not really looking for unbelievable sound, just something for either background music at a dinner party, or for my wife while she's doing housework stuff.

Anyone ever try to make something like that into a sound machine? Any comments? Good idea? Dumb idea?
Denon AVR-3803
RTi-70 Fronts
FXi-30 Surrounds
RTi-38 Back Surrounds
Csi-40 Center
PSW350 Sub
Panasonic PT-56WXF95 HDTVSamsung un60JS8000 SUHD
Denon DVD-2910
Xbox, Gamecube, PS2, PS3, PS4, xbox360, Wii, WiiU, n64
Post edited by Pablo on

Comments

• unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited September 2005
    Options
    could be interesting... check out:
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32212

depending on the depth you could put two quarterwave pipe enclosures on their sides, bottom to bottom (see pic- circles are drivers, rectangles are ports).
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • Pablo
    edited September 2005
    Options
    I'm actually part of that thread, that's what got me thinking about it. Your drawing is almost excatly what I drew yesterday. The problem is that I am working on a pre-determined size, and designing from there.

I was thinking the drivers on the ends pointing up (or forward), and the ports in the middle pointing down (it would be nice if you couldn't see anything). The height would be my biggest concern. A 12" tall mantle would look a little funny. I would think 6" would be the max I can get away with and make it look nice. Using 3/4" material, I would only have 4 1/2" to work with internally.

How would I shape the pipe? What shape should it be? What driver can I use that will give me enough sound (volume & quality)?
    Denon AVR-3803
    RTi-70 Fronts
    FXi-30 Surrounds
    RTi-38 Back Surrounds
    Csi-40 Center
    PSW350 Sub
    Denon DVD-2910
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited September 2005
    Options
    how deep can you get away with? (wall to front edge of mantle)?
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • Pablo
    edited September 2005
    Options
    I might be able to get away with 8" (I have to break out the tape measure). I was planning on rebuilding the entire wall where the fireplace is. Currently it's just a straight mantle maybe 5" deep. The fireplace is pretty big, probably about a 4' openning.

Right now the wall looks like crap. Old painted panneling. Looks like the old owners tried to build some kind of stereo thing (there are these stupid cloth covered boxes on each side that I'm assuming used to have speakers in. And some stupid shelves that are kind of built into the wall [it's strange]). My plan is to rip the entire wall down (on both sides of the wall, my bedroom fireplace is opposite this one), and rebuilding. So I can probably get away with demensions a bit, but it still needs to look like a mantle that belongs.

Again, this just poped into my head the other day, so it's not something I'm definetly going to do, but it sounds like a fun project (I love building stuff).
    Denon AVR-3803
    RTi-70 Fronts
    FXi-30 Surrounds
    RTi-38 Back Surrounds
    Csi-40 Center
    PSW350 Sub
    Denon DVD-2910