MD Polkfest Goodies - Russ

Options
2»

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited September 2005
    Options
    I don't have my Yoda-speak decoder ring with me today.

Pair of 6CL6 / 6197 power pentodes, running single ended at approx 2.2 wpc. Thoradson power tranny, Telefunken output trannies. Only 1 capacitor, and a cathode bias resistor in the signal path (per ch). 5Y3 Rectifier (RCA Coke Bottle). 1 set of inputs, wired directly to a volume pot.

Original post here:
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28439

No online dibs, this goes up for sale AT Mark's house, Saturday 11am, with other goodies.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited September 2005
    Options
    RuSsMaN wrote:
    I don't have my Yoda-speak decoder ring with me today.
    Russ

I don't know what got into me. I never use that silly ****, but I guess I'm just losing my freakin mind. :o

Anyways, I would have to have, what.......a 94db or better sensitivity rated speaker for me to really get any use from it, right? Like some KHorns, La Scala, etc, etc.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • RuSsMaN
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Depends on the room, and the mV output of your source.

I used it at the office, with some 87db nOrh 3.0. Never turned it up halfway (and keep in mind, you can run this one full out, without clipping). Granted, it was a nearfield 'desk' setting, at an office, but the volume was PLENTY.

No problem in a small room, at reasonable levels, with 90-92db speakers. I promise. Of course you can always go nuts if you want, and get some Klipsch bookshelf jobbies OR big floorstanders.

We can demo it at PF, I'm sure there will be some extra speakers we can hook up (and a source).

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • ND13
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Did you build this one yourself? I have been thinking about this type of rig for a while. So much so, that I even trolled over to the Klipsch forum, yesterday :eek: . I've never really liked horns, AT ALL, but with that being said, I've never heard them on tubes. From what I have heard and assume, the tubes will really mellow out the horns. Like that was what they were really intended for in the first place. Anyways, this would be a really inexpensive way to start that type of rig, don't you agree? I screwed up and let a pair of really nice, 1 owner KG2s, for $80, get away Monday :o . STUPID!!. I know they aren't nearly as efficient as most Ks , but they would have worked til others came around, especially for a bedroom.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited September 2005
    Options
    I have a decent pair of KG2's if you want a pair.....cabinets have seen some work, but they work 100%.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Remind me to buy a dozen feet of 14/2 lamp cord when we go to home depot Mark. Just to rig some of this stuff up to demo, on the quick and easy. KG2's would be right at home with an amp like this.

Cheers,
    Russ
  • dorokusai
    edited September 2005
    Options
    I have a buttload of Original MC that will work fine....problem solved :)
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited September 2005
    Options
    I love you.
  • dorokusai
    edited September 2005
    Options
    I love you too, honey dumper.
  • ND13
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Yeah, I'd love to hear the KG2s with the Spud. That way I will know right away if this is a rig I want to pursue or if I need to look at a different speaker type, ala "NO HORNS".

Mark, I need a place to put the gear I'm bringing. I don't want to leave it all in the van/truck in the parking lot, Friday night. Do you have the room???
  • RuSsMaN
    edited September 2005
    Options
    We'll get you taken care of, in short order broham. Don't worry.

Cheers,
    Russ
  • ND13
    edited September 2005
    Options
    I wouldn't expect anything else from you guys. Always eager to help(take the $$$ out of my wallet)a brother in need. :p:D
  • dorokusai
    edited September 2005
    Options
    I tried to call you, but it was late.....gear storage is no problem.
  • ND13
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Thanks!!!
  • RuSsMaN
    edited September 2005
    Options
    My flight leaves in 7 hours.

I better hit the sack, or do another speed-ball, one of the two.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Don't worry about the lamp cord, I'll bring some already terminated.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited September 2005
    Options
    I'll bring some additional cord as well. Looks like wire will be no issue.

Mark, I'll be bringing my "office" rig for demo as well. Do you have speaker stands?

The SVS and Mags are about all I plan on leaving at home.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • dorokusai
    edited September 2005
    Options
    I have no speaker stands other than the multipurpose Polk stands for the MON10.....and they will be used on the Dahlquist's as well. I have no speakers for demo that really need stands other than those.

If you have stands, bring them just in case. Thank you sir :D
  • jdhdiggs
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Hmm, I'm short on stands as well (AKA I have noe that aren't attached to walls). I guess we can make do or scrap the LSi and ADS demos?
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • dorokusai
    edited September 2005
    Options
    We can use other speakers as stands, it's not a huge deal. The main thing is to hear them as my home is not your home, so everything will sound different....know what I mean?
  • jdhdiggs
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Well, yeah...

I just wanted to make sure they could make it out of dog range.
  • dorokusai
    edited September 2005
    Options
    It should be just fine.
  • jtgranby
    jtgranby Posts: 887
    edited September 2005
    Options
    dorokusai wrote:
    I have no speaker stands other than the multipurpose Polk stands for the MON10.....and they will be used on the Dahlquist's as well. I have no speakers for demo that really need stands other than those.

If you have stands, bring them just in case. Thank you sir :D
    I have a couple extra pairs of stands,I can bring. They don't work quite right with the 2.3tl's :D
  • aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,490
    edited September 2005
    Options
    Sounds like fun guys! :cool:
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush