bi-amping RT800i's

danger boy
danger boy Posts: 15,722
edited April 2002 in Technical/Setup
I think i am sure I could do this.. but why not ask and see what answers I get.

I got two Marantz mono blocks a few weeks ago and hooked them up to the front RT800i's. sound improved a bit. happy with the results. but now I'm thinking of tweaking it even more. Can I bi amp the RT800i's now using the receiver amp and the mono block amps? I have heard that this is possible. and the results are better then bi wiring.

any help would be helpful.
thanks
PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
Post edited by danger boy on

Comments

• dean/klipschead
    dean/klipschead Posts: 295
    edited April 2002
    hmmm

unless that receiver has a great amplifier section I wouldn't do it

what kind of receiver is it

when biamping -- it's best to use more of the same thing -- because each brand of component has it's own sonic signature

you could try it and see -- but what I think you will find is that it will neither sound like a donkey or a horse
    Dean
    Quicksilver M-60 monoblocks - JM 200 Peach Linestage - Sony DVP-S9000ES - '03 modified Klipschorns

"I'm sure it's better than it sounds."-- Mark Twain, when asked what he thought about Wagner's music
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2002
    Some people will use different amps, like a Carver and a Sony (can you believe that????) to vertically bi-amp their, say RT55's.....

Not the best idea, grab 2 more identical monoblocks, and get your bi-amp on....

Cheers,
    Russ

Ps, this will rank very high on the 'coolness' factor too.....
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited April 2002
    the est way to bi-amp your 800's woudl be to purchase an addition set of monoblocks, y-out from your receiver, and run two mono's to each speaker...

you really aren't that impressed with the sound improvement? i've heard the mono's on def tech's and they sounded great!!! maybe not as much so with polks?
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited April 2002
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    Some people will use different amps, like a Carver and a Sony (can you believe that????) to vertically bi-amp their, say RT55's.....
    I wonder who does that? I use a Yamaha and a Sony amp. :p I know it's not ideal, and frankly I dislike both amps. One of these days I'll switch back to just the Yamaha and compare the sound. I don't expect there to be much difference in the sonic signature since the Sony is just handling the bass. I found the Yamaha to be a little light on the bass anyway. The nice thing about using them together is how effortless the power is. I rarely turn the amps up to half of their potential (before clipping).

Aaron
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited April 2002
    what do you expect from a homie that enjoys that full range sound from little bitty cubes dangling from his ceiling? Actually, I think it is a Yammie and a Sony.....talk about ghetto biamping.

To the biamp thing, get 4 monoblocks and go that route, results would be much better.....

I've actually thought of getting 4 and bridging 2 together on each DQ-10.....

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • danger boy
    edited April 2002
    the receiver I was planning to try this out on is a Marantz SR5000 70wpc x 5 + 125wpc for each mono block. i may live dangerously (hence the name) and hook em up bi amping them. see what shakes out.

thanks guys!
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited April 2002
    I love the getto post...thats classic.I almost fell out of my chair.I never heard anyone doing these wild thing's with receiver's.If you don't like the sound of the receiver...get it out.Forget the bi amping idea.No need for it at all.rt800's aren't reference tower's.They aren't hard to drive.They are 8 om's and 90 db sensitive.You really sould find a great receiver to power them that mates the best for your ear's.
    If your doing a 2 channel system with the rt800's, then find a really good 2 channel amp. Like adcom,B&K Classe,or anything else you like.You will waste your time, money on foolish adventure's like this one.Sorry i didn't mean it like that,but try to see my point.You can really make those nice speaker's sing with a really good receiver, wire, and Interconect's that all match.the source is just as Important.Keep everything in the same class and you will find gold at the end of the rainbow!!
    Good luck man, let the quest begin!!!!!!!
    Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • danger boy
    edited April 2002
    Originally posted by mantis
    I love the getto post...thats classic.I almost fell out of my chair.I never heard anyone doing these wild thing's with receiver's.If you don't like the sound of the receiver...get it out.Forget the bi amping idea.No need for it at all.rt800's aren't reference tower's.They aren't hard to drive.They are 8 om's and 90 db sensitive.You really sould find a great receiver to power them that mates the best for your ear's.
    If your doing a 2 channel system with the rt800's, then find a really good 2 channel amp. Like adcom,B&K Classe,or anything else you like.You will waste your time, money on foolish adventure's like this one.Sorry i didn't mean it like that,but try to see my point.You can really make those nice speaker's sing with a really good receiver, wire, and Interconect's that all match.the source is just as Important.Keep everything in the same class and you will find gold at the end of the rainbow!!
    Good luck man, let the quest begin!!!!!!!
    Dan

Well i'm glad you're amused at my expense. I live every day only to make you fall out of your chair. If I had an unlimited supply of money like you do. then I too would spend $6000 on a amp, $12000 on seperate components, and at a minimum $60,000 on speakers. But very few of us have that kind of money to put together a quality home theater. I guess I was interested in the bi amping only because Polk users guide says it can be done.
    I am only here to learn.. and you are only here to mock everyone that is not as well educated in reference quality home theater systems. Im sure you to mantis at one time were just an uneducated about components as I am.

I am doing what tweaks I can within my budget. I purchase high quality interconnects... and no not 1 of them is that monster cable crap. I use either IXOS cables or Silvercats. Im sure they are pretty ghetto for your equipement. but at this time that's all i can afford. I hardly think my Marantz equipment is ghetto.. well for you it may be.. but that's tough.
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited April 2002
    Whoa there boy! The ghetto reference doesn't have anything to do with you. Read Troy's post; he's talking about my ghetto biamping situation. A few months back I coined the term "ghetto biamping" for people trying to biamp their speakers by using the A+B of their receivers. It's a total waste. Also, I bet Mantis wishes he had the $78,000 worth of equipment and the "unlimited supply" of money you say he does.

Aaron
  • mantis
    edited April 2002
    Dangerboy,'
    Arron's right .Thats what I meant.I didn't call your trial a Getto system.I just made me laugh when That was posted.I'm sorry if I pissed you off,you took me the wrong way.
    If you read the rest of my post, you will see I was trying to help you not waste your money.
    I love Marantz gear, I think it stands out in it's class.
    A system takes time to put together,I think your going in the right direction, trying to get your speaker's the best they can be.Thats great!!I mean that.
    But, I have been down these road's many times before.I personally have wasted ton's of cash, trying to get my gear sound right.It's not easy when you want something out of your system,and can't figure out what to do with it to make it go.
    Calm down dude, ok I'm not the kind of huy that will just kick at your system, and make myself look like i'm king stereo guy.I'm not, I just have been doing this for a long time.I also do it for a living.So I get experience for 8 to 10 hours 5 times a week, all night with my own system, and some of the weekend.
    Listen I'm here for you dude, I would like to help you on your way, not battle with you.
    I just don't like to see people go down the road's Iv'e been down and wasting money.
    I'm not rich either.I took me years to get my system right.Then I ask myself"can I make it better,but where do I begin"
    Dan
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited April 2002
    just get one good 2 channel amp on sale some where and that will be just as good as momo blocks, a good amp will take care of the rt-800i sound quality to the ultimate, its a lot more simple and less will go wrong and cheaper to
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • mantis
    edited April 2002
    My point exactly
    Dan