Receiver for RM6600 with PSW350???

Billm57
Billm57 Posts: 689
edited April 2002 in Technical/Setup
now that Ive got the speakers and subwoofer I want to upgrade my old Pioneer Pro Logic to a Dolby Digital unit? Any good recommendations for specifice brands/models of receivers to audition? All I got around me are Best Buy, Circuit City, and the audio snobs at Tweeter so I' d rather go in with a list in hand instead of relying on any help from any of the sales people in these stores..thanks in advance!
Post edited by Billm57 on

Comments

• juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited April 2002
    denon2802-3802
    onkyo787-989, there's a new onkyo 600 model that replaced the 595 that looks like a contender as well
    marantz6200
    outlaw1050(only have heard good things, never actually listened to this one).

do your research on the web before you walk into the store, then give 'em a listen and see what sounds best to you. if you know you're stuff before walking in, you can cut through alot of the BS that goes around in places like CC/BB. how much you looking to spend? any particular features you are looking for, or just an upgrade to DD? this may help you narrow down the list if you have certain features you are looking for in a new rec.
  • Billm57
    edited April 2002
    thanks..yea im just looking to upgrade to DD..ill research the models you listed and give em a listen
  • briancs
    briancs Posts: 193
    edited April 2002
    Now we can't do any CC bashing here. That's my home turf. Marion Il #755. One of the biggest wharehouses in the U.S.. Somewhere around a million square feet
    The guy with $40.00 mains and a $700.00 subwoofer.
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited April 2002
    I'm quite satisfied with my JVC RXV-9010VBK. I've driven my 10Bs with 3 other receivers and a couple of seperates. The 10Bs sound best with this one. It doesn't have DPL2 if that matters to you. Nice features, good amps, multi-brand RF remote, plenty of digital ins and 1 (5.1)digital out and it can be had for about $350.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited April 2002
    Originally posted by briancs
    Now we can't do any CC bashing here. That's my home turf. Marion Il #755. One of the biggest wharehouses in the U.S.. Somewhere around a million square feet

no bashing meant, but you have to agree with me that 90% + of the guys who work the A/V dept. in CC have no idea what they are talking about...
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    edited April 2002
    Id go with the Denon avr2802.Good match for your setup and plenty of power.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • briancs
    briancs Posts: 193
    edited April 2002
    juice I have almost no idea what I am talking about. Compared to some of you guys. But at least I am here to learn right.? Hence my small amount of posts. Normally try to learn about things before I really start talking ****.
    The guy with $40.00 mains and a $700.00 subwoofer.
  • Billm57
    edited April 2002
    Originally posted by juice21

no bashing meant, but you have to agree with me that 90% + of the guys who work the A/V dept. in CC have no idea what they are talking about...
    Juice I agree..I would go farther and say 95%
  • Billm57
    edited April 2002
    Originally posted by mantis
    Id go with the Denon avr2802.Good match for your setup and plenty of power.
    Isnt this model a pretty low power one? ( I may be wrong)granted I have satellites but I know they can handle more power..My Pioneer is 100 watts
  • johnnyamerika
    johnnyamerika Posts: 382
    edited April 2002
    Is your Pioneer and Elite? Sure, the sats can handle more, but a 2802 will be more than enough to drive them..plus you have 6 channel capability (order another rear center if possible), and 7 channel expandability. I've listened to the 2801 (last year's Denon model) and the 6600/350 setup, and I have to say it's a simply stunning setup. I think Denon pairs particularly well with sats, because the LFE seems to really boom (fills out the sound well) and the high's aren't as bright as other setups, just crisp and clean.

In summation I would highly recommend the Denon 2802. It's 90 wpc, not far off from 100 I might add, and Denon rates VERY conservatively.
  • Billm57
    edited April 2002
    Pioneer is not an ELite..yes I was thinking of the Denon seriuosly..nowhere I can check it in Chicago other than Tweeter ...they are the only ones around here that carry Denon...those salespeople there are very condescending at Tweeter unless you are plunking thousands of dollars down on what they think is good..oh well I will grin and bear it and give it a listen..thanks for all the suggestions
  • Billm57
    edited April 2002
    BTW-can anyone reccomend a good and cheap Denon dealer in Chicago or on-line???
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited April 2002
    Sears.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • Handyhaver
    Handyhaver Posts: 66
    edited April 2002
    I also have the jvc 9010 with the RM7600 set up and am quite pleased wih the peformance. This is my first h/t system (just set it all up last week) and the sounds that come out of this thing are incredible.............

Mark
    You can check out any time you like..,
    but you can never leave...........
  • Billm57
    edited April 2002
    Originally posted by gidrah
    Sears.

Sears????!!!! The one by sure dont..which Sears did you see Denon at??
  • Billm57
    edited April 2002
    any opinions on the 1802?
  • Billm57
    edited April 2002
    checked out the Denon 2802..looks like I will be going with that one..very nice sound.I noticed there was an 1802 that was alot cheaper with almost the same features but the watts are a little lower.
  • johnnyamerika
    edited April 2002
    well 1802 is 5.1 channel, 2802 is 6.1, with 7.1 preouts. Certainly more customizable.
  • Billm57
    edited April 2002
    im a little confused..whats the diff between 6.1 Dolby and 5.1?? I thought most DVD's were encoded with 5.1..is the is reciever overkill for basically a 5 speaker system???
  • johnnyamerika
    edited April 2002
    Yah, most DVDs are 5.1 encoded, but more and more are coming out as 6.1. This basically adds a rear center channel directly behind your listening position. 7.1 sound adds two rear surrounds behind you, and moves the other surrounds to more of a side postion. It's one of those things where you don't need it, but having it is really cool. Obviously the 6600 is only a 5 piece plus the sub, you would have to purchase another speaker for the center. Alternatively, you could run a 6 channel reciever in just 5.1, and you wouldn't have any cons, although the bonus is you'll have more wattage. And although most DVDs are 5.1, your reciever will automatically extract and play the 6th channel out of the rear surrounds, using it's DSP. It's totally optional, but that extra immersion is worth it (to me anyway). Regardless both are great recievers and you won't be let down. :D

john
  • woodyjacobs
    woodyjacobs Posts: 706
    edited April 2002
    My local Sears (Raleigh NC) also carries Denon, but only pre-packaged HT systems; no seperates. I too was unable to find anyplace around that carried Denon or Marantz to audition them, although I have heard great things....so I wound up with the new Onkyo TXSR600 that Juice mentioned. Onkyo does really well with satellites also...they tend to send just about all of the bass through the LFE to the sub. I have been very happy with the receiver thusfar (I've only had it for about two weeks). One thing kind of tough about the Onkyo, however, is that you can't use external amps...the only preout is for the sub....but it is still a heck of a good sounding receiver for under $500 bucks. The 700 model should be out in a month or two and has preouts for all 6 main channels. It will probably be about $750.
    system 1:
    Athena: AS-F1 mains, AS-C1 center, AS-B1 surrounds, AS-P400 sub, Yammie RXV-730, Rotel RB-976 driving front stage, Samsung BD3600 Blue Ray, Denon DVD2900 for sacd/cd , jbl n24awII on the deck, samsung 40" 1080p lcd

system 2:
    XBox 360 Spherex 5.1 system, HK DVD38, Phillips CDC 926 CD changer, Phillips 32" LCD

2 channel
    NAD 1600 pre, NAD 2400 THX amp, Phillips CDC 926, Linn extra speaks, crappy TT