new setup of new equip

g42na
g42na Posts: 2
edited April 2002 in Technical/Setup
what is the best way to hook up polks rm6600 and psw250 with an onyko 595 receiver right now I have the speakers running into my receiver
one of the manuals says to hook them to the woofer
I am confused because it also says to run wire from the receiver to the woofer????
Post edited by g42na on

Comments

• Handyhaver
    Handyhaver Posts: 66
    edited April 2002
    G42na,

I am a proud new owner of the RM7600 & the hook up of the sub had me confused. It says to run the front l/r from the receiver, to the sub & then back to the front l/r speakers. I posted on a few other h/t forums and although this will work fine, they claim that hooking the sub up with a lfe cable out of the receiver to the sub & the fronts directly from the receiver to the speakers is the way to go. This will give you better bass managment & enable you to set your fronts to the small settings for better mid-range. I am a newbie in this h/t world and am by far no expert. I am just passing on how it was explained to me. I have my sub wired through the front channels now as POLK reccomends but I'm sure I will be trying the lfe hook up in the near future. Hope this was helpful. Good luck with your new system as I am VERY pleased with my new investment.

Mark
    You can check out any time you like..,
    but you can never leave...........
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited April 2002
    g42na, the Onkyo 595 is a solid reciever good chose with your size Polks. What sub do you have? I asume it is powered. If you are calling this an HT setup and useing it as such. You want to use the LFE out on the Onkyo to the inputs on your sub. Then you can use the Onkyo's bass management to set your sub. It is all explained in the 595 manual. Monster Cable makes great sub cables. WELCOME!!! GOOD LUCK!!! and
    HAVE FUN!!!;)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited April 2002
    Hello,
    Thanks for posting on the Forum. In your RM6600 system the front satellites reproduce sounds down to 150 Hz ("Hz" is a description of frequency, it used to be called "cycles per second"). This means the PSW250 has to reproduce sound up to this 150 Hz frequency level. The front satellites go down to 150, so the sub-woofer needs to go up to 150 so there is a smooth blending of the two units. The sub-out frequency, on most receivers, is set at 80 or 90 Hz. This means that the upper frequency range the sub-woofer can produce will be limited to this 80 or 90 Hz limit. This is too low and a gap in the very important mid-bass region would result, giving a "thin" quality to the sound, lacking a feeling of cohesiveness.
    However, if you feed a full range front signal into the PSW250 you can adjust its low pass filter control to 150 Hz which will match the low end capability of the RM6600 satellites. You would also want to adjust your receiver's bass management for the center and surrounds to be "small" and the front speakers to "large" with sub-out set to "off". Remember, you're not turning off your sub-woofer, only instructing the receiver to send all of the bass to the front channels where you have connected the PSW250.
    Regards, Ken Swauger
  • g42na
    g42na Posts: 2
    edited April 2002
    you talk about changing the frequency of the sub woofer to 150
    how do u do that?
    never had a sub woofer before

Ger
    Originally posted by Kenneth Swauger
    Hello,
    Thanks for posting on the Forum. In your RM6600 system the front satellites reproduce sounds down to 150 Hz ("Hz" is a description of frequency, it used to be called "cycles per second"). This means the PSW250 has to reproduce sound up to this 150 Hz frequency level. The front satellites go down to 150, so the sub-woofer needs to go up to 150 so there is a smooth blending of the two units. The sub-out frequency, on most receivers, is set at 80 or 90 Hz. This means that the upper frequency range the sub-woofer can produce will be limited to this 80 or 90 Hz limit. This is too low and a gap in the very important mid-bass region would result, giving a "thin" quality to the sound, lacking a feeling of cohesiveness.
    However, if you feed a full range front signal into the PSW250 you can adjust its low pass filter control to 150 Hz which will match the low end capability of the RM6600 satellites. You would also want to adjust your receiver's bass management for the center and surrounds to be "small" and the front speakers to "large" with sub-out set to "off". Remember, you're not turning off your sub-woofer, only instructing the receiver to send all of the bass to the front channels where you have connected the PSW250.
    Regards, Ken Swauger
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited April 2002
    The sub needs to receive a full range signal, not a filtered "LFE" signal. The best way to do this is probably to use the speaker level outputs. Run the speaker wires from the front L&R outputs of the receiver to the speaker level inputs on the subwoofer, and then run wires from the subwoofer speaker outputs to your front speakers. Connect the other channels to the appropriate speaker outputs on the receiver. In your receiver setup, set the front speakers to "Large" and all other channels "Small", and subwoofer to "Off". This will allow the subwoofer to get a full range signal (and the front L&R, as well). The bass from the other channels will be re-directed by the receiver to the front speaker outputs, where it will be reproduced by the subwoofer.

Use the knob marked "Low Pass--Hz" on the subwoofer. Turn it up past 100 Hz, up to the region with the white mark indicating the recommended setting for the RM6600 system.

I'm pretty sure that's the setup that Ken was referring to.

Jason