SDA 1.2TL interconnect question

analog97
analog97 Posts: 328
edited August 2005 in Vintage Speakers
First, thanks again to all the experienced Polksters out there who helped me with my questions about the 1.2TL's. Now that I have them, I am thrilled. The performance is beyond my expectations. That said, I have discovered my interconnect is not original. The back of the speaker shows a typical pin-blade opening. The connector that came with my 1.2TL's was "rigged" to make a small blade that fits the pin-hole of the speaker. I can tell the "SDA-effect" is working, as when I shift the balance all to the left, the right speaker still plays and vice-versa. Can I get an original pin-blade connector? Should I? What say the experienced? Thanks again!!
Post edited by analog97 on

Comments

• fredv
    fredv Posts: 923
    edited August 2005
    You don't need the original pin-blade as the 2 blades are not connected. You haven't missed any SDA goodies :-)

-fredv-
  • trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited August 2005
    Fred is right on this.
    The blade is only for support, the pin carries the signal.
    You can use an RCA cable in place of an original SDA cable,
    as original cables are only available on the used market,
    and even then, not often.

-Luc
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    edited August 2005
    Get some gear that doesn't have balance and tone controls. You'll really be thrilled.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• thehaens@cox.net
    thehaens@cox.net Posts: 1,012
    edited August 2005
    F1nut wrote:
    Get some gear that doesn't have balance and tone controls. You'll really be thrilled.

LOL
    But how are you to "test" your SDA's to ensure they are working properly per the set up manual? :D

I want a 32 Band Eq.......with dancing lights and toggle switches galore
  • screename
    screename Posts: 321
    edited August 2005
    Why is the blade jumpered to the Low Freq. negative input on mine if it doesn't do anything?

Picture in this thread attached to my last post http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31109
  • fredv
    fredv Posts: 923
    edited August 2005
    I believe that's how the common ground is achieved - via the amp. If the amp is not common ground, no SDA effect, but no harm to the amp either.

-fredv-
  • F1nut
    edited August 2005
    But how are you to "test" your SDA's to ensure they are working properly per the set up manual?

I use my ears. :D

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• thehaens@cox.net
    thehaens@cox.net Posts: 1,012
    edited August 2005
    F1nut wrote:
    I use my ears. :D

YOu had to point out the obvious...............
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited August 2005
    screename wrote:
    Why is the blade jumpered to the Low Freq. negative input on mine if it doesn't do anything?

Picture in this thread attached to my last post http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31109

From looking at the schematic for my SRS 2's, it looks like it's for when the AI-1 non-common ground amplifier interconnect cable is used. It allows each speakers dimensional array a complete circuit to flow through one of the two windings in the AI-1 cable isolation transformer.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • analog97
    edited August 2005
    F1nut wrote:

I am using a Rega P3/2000, Denon-103 MC, Denon MC step-up, Parasound Z-phono, Parasound pre-amp and a 250 watt Sonic Frontiers amp to drive the SDA 1.2 TL's I was fortunate enough to get. This combo, despite the "balance" knob on my pre-amp does a pretty decent job of lighting up the 1.2's. I would love to hear these speakers with the REALLY good stuff, but hey.....gotta draw the line somewhere F1NUT. What do you use? :D
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited August 2005
    Nice set-up. Enjoy
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • F1nut
    edited August 2005
    analog97 wrote:
    What do you use?

Just some big silver boxes. :D

President of Club Polk

• analog97
    edited August 2005
    LOL
    But how are you to "test" your SDA's to ensure they are working properly per the set up manual? :D

I want a 32 Band Eq.......with dancing lights and toggle switches galore

I don't have a manual. I would like to get one for the 1.2TL's. It would be very helpful. All I basically know is the Left SDA speaker will PLAY if you shut it off using the balance control on a pre-amp (and vice-versa).
  • analog97
    edited August 2005
    F1nut wrote:
    Just some big silver boxes. :D

I don't suppose you could specify what's in the "silver boxes" as I have done. I am very curious about something better sounding. Which Polk SDA speakers have you? Be cryptic not. Thanks. ;)