(Nearly) Free Tweaks

Early B.
Early B. Posts: 7,900
edited August 2005 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
It's been a while since we listed our favorite tweaks. This time, let's confine it to free or cheap tweaks.

Of course the obvious ones involve **** around with placement and toe-in. Another simple tweak is taking the grilles off the speakers. But my favorite cheap tweak would have to be putting a concrete paver under my sub.
HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
Post edited by Early B. on

Comments

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited August 2005
    being the scientist type that i am, and a novice in the HT world, an explanation of WHY this is a good tweak would be cool too... the first three of early b.'s i understand, the slab i do not... why?
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,935
    edited August 2005
    Slabs isolate the subwoofer from the floor, lessen the chances of your floor becoming a trampoline and resorts to cleaner, more accurate bass...

I think crossover upgrades should be at the top of the list...

The no grill thing is an excellent point... mainly because grill cloth damps the highs around 13khz... - or sometimes the grills just suck (Infinity Beta)...

Placement...well I've started quite a long thread on that one...
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,341
    edited August 2005
    If one has a pair of SDA's, which go close to the back wall by design, try putting a soft wall hanging (decorative blanket or rug) on the wall between the speakers. If you can avoid it, do not put large glass objects, like mirrors or large TV's between speakers for two channel systems. This made a big difference in soundstage depth with mine.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited August 2005
    My 2 favorite nearly free tweaks:

1. Placing speakers on tile/slab when the room is carpeted
    2. Cable management. Many people overlook good cable management, they have these huge, expensive systems and cables everywhere. AC laying on speaker cables, laying on IC's....nasty. Clean those runs up and pitch the AC line conditioner (you won't need it no mo'). My system is deadly quiet.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Emlyn
    edited August 2005
    Double-sided strips of velcro for cable management. Cheap and very effective, easy to undo if cable swapping.
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited August 2005
    Kind of a placement thing but make sure tweeters are at ear level.

Replacing the jumpers is really cheap and easy but it's up to you to decide if you can hear a difference. (myself .... I'm not quite sure if it does)
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited August 2005
    I havn't stepped to that level but I guess swapping tubes can make a big difference.
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited August 2005
    Calibrate your HT system with an SPL Meter.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited August 2005
    Turn the power button to "on".
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited August 2005
    Hands down, the best tweak is the ear wax candle.
  • Emlyn
    edited August 2005
    Remove eyeglasses, turn off the lights. Works well as a bed time tweak too.
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited August 2005
    For HT- get a pair of step ladders, put your rear surrounds on 'em and move them to every reasonable position in the room till you find the best. It's amazing the difference that it can make, and the "right" position isn't always where you think it is. OH, and you have to calibrate w/ a SPL meter between each try.
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited August 2005
    Spark plug wire separators/ holddowns that will fit you IC's work good for management. Gives your system a Hotrod look. Get more music per CD, too.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • Early B.
    edited August 2005
    Hey, thanks for the cable management ideas. Hadn't considered that one.

Funny you should mention it, Thug, but I've been looking into the whole ear candling thing. I want to get it done just so I can run home, turn on my 2-channel system and hear stuff I haven't heard before! I wonder how long it lasts before your ears fill up with wax again....
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

• Early B.
    edited August 2005
    This sounds really stupid, but I put a few coats of polyurethane on the inside of my wood speakers. Why, you ask? Because there are times in our lives when we do things for absolutely no reason whatsoever. Nevertheless, I did a great job convincing myself that it actually gave the highs a bit more detail, so the psychological effect was beneficial.

• dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    edited August 2005
    Windex. Clean your CD's squeaky clean with Windex and an old cotton undershirt. Wipe from inside towards the outer edge all the way around until smudge and gunk free. Believe me, there's stuff on there you don't see. Awesome tweak!
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • Schris22
    Schris22 Posts: 983
    edited August 2005
    how thick of concrete do ya need for isolation? like will one inch thick do it?

Chris
    Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR502-S
    DVD Player: Pioneer DV-578A-S
    Left and Right: R50
    Center: CS1
    Rear Center: R15
    Surrounds: R30
    Subwoofer: 10'' Dayton 100 Watt
  • Early B.
    edited August 2005
    Schris22 wrote:
    how thick of concrete do ya need for isolation? like will one inch thick do it?

Go to Home Depot or Lowes and spend $4 and change on a concrete paver (18" x 18") in the outdoor gardening section. Spray paint it black and stick it under your sub.

• unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited August 2005
    dragon1952 wrote:
    Windex. Clean your CD's squeaky clean with Windex and an old cotton undershirt. Wipe from inside towards the outer edge all the way around until smudge and gunk free. Believe me, there's stuff on there you don't see. Awesome tweak!

That reminds me- you can take the scratches out of cd's w/ a q-tip and brasso. Just make sure you keep it away from the label side.
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited August 2005
    "Feel" each of your components. If you feel a vibration such as 60hz you can find the vibrating part (usually a transformer) and damp it.

madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Schris22
    Schris22 Posts: 983
    edited August 2005
    Early B. wrote:
    Go to Home Depot or Lowes and spend $4 and change on a concrete paver (18" x 18") in the outdoor gardening section. Spray paint it black and stick it under your sub.

I think i'll do that...

Thanks,

Chris

Will report if there is any difference...
    Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR502-S
    DVD Player: Pioneer DV-578A-S
    Left and Right: R50
    Center: CS1
    Rear Center: R15
    Surrounds: R30
    Subwoofer: 10'' Dayton 100 Watt
  • tecmo04
    tecmo04 Posts: 421
    edited August 2005
    interested to hear schris. i want to do it too
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,699
    edited August 2005
    Clean your gear.

Dust and grime from your greasy fingers gumming everything up builds up over time. Dust and grime not only cut down the gear's ability to dissapate heat but it can hamper smooth operation of dials and buttons. If you keep the gear clean, not only does it look spectacular but it runs cooler too. Cooler running means better performance out of it.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited August 2005
    When eating fried chicken or ribs it is a good idea to wash your hands before handling your equipment.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,854
    edited August 2005
    Early B. wrote:
    Hey, thanks for the cable management ideas. Hadn't considered that one.

Funny you should mention it, Thug, but I've been looking into the whole ear candling thing. I want to get it done just so I can run home, turn on my 2-channel system and hear stuff I haven't heard before! I wonder how long it lasts before your ears fill up with wax again....

I have had it done 3 times, fells great, Now My wife and I do it ( the candleling(if a word)) to each other.
  • Willow
    edited August 2005
    steveinaz wrote:
    My 2 favorite nearly free tweaks:

1. Placing speakers on tile/slab when the room is carpeted
    2. Cable management. Many people overlook good cable management, they have these huge, expensive systems and cables everywhere. AC laying on speaker cables, laying on IC's....nasty. Clean those runs up and pitch the AC line conditioner (you won't need it no mo'). My system is deadly quiet.

Why the slabs under the main speakers ? same results as the sub ?
    My wife would say, geez this place looks like a construction zone. My reply would be snarky " great here's your hard hat"
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,824
    edited August 2005
    Early B. wrote:

Uh, first, ear wax is a necessary and helpful deterrent to things getting into your ears and causing infection. Not to mention that "candling" is proven to be ineffectual and potentially dangerous.

Why Ear Candling Is Not a Good Idea

Ear Candling Exposed

If you want to clean your inner ears, do some basic irrigation with one of those solutions that you find at a drug store. If you have actual ear wax PROBLEMS, go see a doctor.

I know 20 people are going to now say they've had it done a million times and notice a positive effect with no negatives, but I'm just sayin... not good for you. You all like... good sound, I wouldn't eff with your ears... they're kinda necessary in this hobby.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,935
    edited August 2005
    Getting your ears cleaned at the doctors then going home and cranking the music probally wouldnt be a good idea. Just get some ear drops of some kind..
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Willow
    edited August 2005
    Bob, is right, I did one of my wife's ears and the suction it caused left here with pain for 1 week.

It not only cleans wax but you should see the crap that comes out of our ears. I know it's gross but anytime we do it we cut the candle open and check out the gunk
    On the other hand everything is good in moderation
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited August 2005
    moderation = good, but willow, you should take a gander at the first article that bobman posted, it discusses the 'gunk'
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs