Rare Jems Or Not!?!

Options
Vgamer4550
Vgamer4550 Posts: 26
edited August 2005 in Vintage Speakers
Well Guys, I may have found some rare jewels here, or I may have found some old junk. I need your guys help to figure it out.

I was cruisin the neighborhood last wk and came across a garage sale selling some old Yamaha speakers for 30 bucks.......I was able to talk the guy down to 20 cause the front grills were missing and one of the cones were pushed in (a small shop vac fixed that right up).

The Model of these Yamahas is NS-A220
These things weigh a ton, about 52 pounds each, and they are about 3.5 ft tall. For the life of me though I cant find any info on these speakers outside of whats on the speakers themselves........140watts @ 8 ohms.

Now, I've got some old Sonys that I have been dying to replace that go up to about 150watts, but we all know that that dont make them good. I am actually Looking to get a pair of RTi10s or 12. I just want to see if anyone has had experience with these speakers or maybe other speakers of that same series. Any input would be greatly appreciated, let me know what you guys know or can find out.

I am looking for info on like if these speakers are magnetically shielded, was the NS-A speakers good way back when, will an amp make these speakers shine or will my reciever do the job. These are temporary speakers, but for 20 bucks I did not think I could go wrong. Thanks for you input guys.......
Post edited by Vgamer4550 on

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Looks like it was made in the early to mid 80's - 3 way design with a 10" woofer...

Retailed for around 600 dollars...
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Spawndn72
    Spawndn72 Posts: 453
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Try asking the same question at www.audiokarma.org Those guys will be able to help you.
    Setup:
    Adcom GFA-545 amp
    Nad 1600 pre
    Dual 704 TT
    Pioneer 707 R2R
    Pioneer DV-578A Multi-format
    Polk SDA-2 Mains
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited August 2005
    Options
    There are/were Yamaha speakers in a lot of recording studios. NS-10 or NS-1000 or something like that. Not a big fan of speakers from Asia here.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grands)
  • B3Nut
    B3Nut Posts: 76
    edited August 2005
    Options
    NS-10M's were the popular Yamaha monitor, small 6.5" 2-way console-top monitors. Many engineers put tissue paper over the tweeters to tame them a bit. Their claim to fame was a speaker on which if you got the mix sounding good on them, it would translate well almost anywhere. Not very many engineers actually like the sound of them, but they're sworn by/at nonetheless, and the value of the white-cone 10M's is going up as the woofer is now unobtanium. If you ever find NS-10M's cheap, grab 'em. You'll turn a handy profit on 'em.

Todd in Beerbratistan
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Every Yamaha speaker I ever heard sounded like a car AM radio speaker. Maybe THAT'S what the target for the engineers was.
  • B3Nut
    B3Nut Posts: 76
    edited August 2005
    Options
    The 10M's are a bit better than car AM, but not so much "hi-fi" as a good picture of what the mix will sound like on Joe Schmoe's shelf stereo or boombox. Yamaha did have a range of really nice speakers in the mid-80's that used SEAS drivers...friend had a pair of the 8" 2-way. Really nice and smooth, not a Japanese-sounding speaker at all. Sealed cabinet, too. Never saw them again...

Todd in Beerbratistan