lightly modded sonic impact t-amp

michael_w
michael_w Posts: 2,813
edited August 2005 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
I finally managed to swipe the digital camera from my mom for a couple days and thought I'd share some pics. This is my sonic impact t-amp that puts out a whopping 5 watts into 8 ohms and 9 into 4ohms. Probably know the story already... amazing little amp that can handle tough loads until it reaches its quick clipping curve. I was bored so I ripped the thing apart (missing a couple screws and destroying the plastic case in the process) and jammed it into this mahogany box. The only mods I did to this was put on some dayton binding posts. Originally it was supposed to get some rca's instead of the 1/8" jack but since it's for my computer I left the 1/8". I put the feet on to give it some mass so that the cables out the back don't drag it off the table and because they look funny.

The camera isn't super great and my room is dark so the pics didn't come out too well but you get the point. ;)

I need to resolder the binding post connections.... they're pretty half assed and were done with a really crappy iron. Also have to attach the lid / top of the box and run over it with a laminate trimmer.
Post edited by michael_w on

Comments

• gatemplin
    gatemplin Posts: 1,595
    edited August 2005
    Nice work! That is a perfect little computer speaker amp.
    Graham
  • gmorris
    gmorris Posts: 1,179
    edited August 2005
    My gosh, Michael W, that is awesome! :eek:

I'm going to get that amp someday, to hook up my iPod to some DIY speakers that I'm planning on building. I think I may have to steal your idea and make a little box for it.

Nice work and thanks for the idear...
    Bob Mayo, on the keyboards. Bob Mayo.
  • michael_w
    edited August 2005
    Thanks for the compliments. I like it because it's so tiny and portable yet can still push speakers well. If you aren't looking for something that will get you into the 100+ dB range these little amps are perfect, especially for the price.
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited August 2005
    Mine pushed my sda 1B's so its not only for small speakers.... Use the right power supply and it works for about any 8ohm speaker for low to moderate loudness
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • gmorris
    gmorris Posts: 1,179
    edited August 2005
    I wouldn't know how to do this, but could you mod that thing to be a monoblock amp? Could you get two of them, mod them to mono, and get twice the power?
    Bob Mayo, on the keyboards. Bob Mayo.
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited August 2005
    They say just use one channel from each amp and it adds power when not useing both channels. you cant tie them both together though
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • michael_w
    edited August 2005
    You could do the single channel thing or maybe just bi-amp your speakers if they are capable of bi-amping.