TV Stand

Mjr7531
Mjr7531 Posts: 856
edited August 2005 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Well, I've decided to finally releive the buffet as my TV Stand and AV rack, and I've decided I'll just make a new one (everything in the store looks too cheesy...)

I'll be putting on a DVD player, VCR, and H/K AVR235 (which is by far, the tallest of the components) , and a Sony Trinitron ~27" CRT. I will of course be keeping two or three spots open for expansion.

Got any suggestions? I've got ample woodworking skills and a shop at my fingertips, but no one around me with experience in furniture construction. I'm going to make it my best attempt to keep it as low as possible (50-100) Flexing either way is fine (much prefered on the lower end)

Here's the format that I wish to use...
AFDVb_bg.jpg

Here's my poor, awful awful awful mockup,

Many thanks!

Matt
Post edited by Mjr7531 on

Comments

• michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited August 2005
    You could make a flexi rack. They work quite well and can be made quite easily out of mdf, redi-rod, washers and nuts. I made one out of marble for my componnents but others here have made wider ones for tvs and stuff. Do a search and you should come up with some examples.
  • Pablo
    Pablo Posts: 723
    edited August 2005
    A sheet of Birch or Oak 3/4" plywood goes for about $45 and should be strong enough to hold you TV. They make real wood iron on edging for it, and it looks pretty good when stained (the birch also paints real well).
    Denon AVR-3803
    RTi-70 Fronts
    FXi-30 Surrounds
    RTi-38 Back Surrounds
    Csi-40 Center
    PSW350 Sub
    Panasonic PT-56WXF95 HDTVSamsung un60JS8000 SUHD
    Denon DVD-2910
    Xbox, Gamecube, PS2, PS3, PS4, xbox360, Wii, WiiU, n64
  • Gaara
    Gaara Posts: 2,415
    edited August 2005
    I just finished building a 5 shelf flexy, cost around $65 and took around 3 hours of time. I have a 141lb amp on mine and it holds it just fine, I would guess that your 27in tv is around 100lbs, so mdf like I used should be fine. I used 3/4in MDF that was $6 for a 2x4 sheet, I used two in construction. I personally painted mine black with three layers of paint, and then finished it with a high gloss spray paint. Looks great, works great, and it was much cheaper then buying one.

Jared
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited August 2005
    What amp do you have that weighs 141 lbs?? Got me curious now...