Computer speakers

jcaut
jcaut Posts: 1,849
edited August 2005 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Thought I'd use these as computer speakers. They're John K's design ( http://www.zaphaudio.com) based on the little HiVi B3N, except that I used the round ones (can't remember whether they're the "S" or the "N"). They've a series notch filter to tame a breakup peak and some baffle step compensation. I've been feeding them a full-range signal, which is not optimum, and running them with my PSW1200. Other than the fact that they're not going to produce a lot of volume, they sound pretty good.

The drivers only cost about $10 each, and can be purchased from Parts Express or Madisound. I built the enclosures out of 1/2" MDF, rounded the corners and then wrapped them with walnut veneer. The baffles (which I'm not too crazy about) were sprayed with truck bed liner, then misted with Duplicolor "GM Light driftwood metallic", and coated with polyurethane. My son's idea ;)

If the pictures look a little distorted, it's because I still had the fisheye lens on my camera from when I took this shot, and I didn't feel like changing it.

Jason
Post edited by jcaut on

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,935
    edited August 2005
    Dude! Those look awesome... not to crazy about the baffle - definetely has "bling" to it ;)

Those look GREAT man....

Any "in-the-process" pics?
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • jcaut
    edited August 2005
    Bling, huh? Oh well.. I guess I can always change it later if I need to. It's hard to argue with a 7-year old when he's "helping" you build speakers. He didn't want that finish on HIS speakers (I'll put up pics of them in a little while), just on mine :)

Sorry, I didn't take any "in-progress" pictures of these. They went together pretty easily though, taking into account my mediocre woodworking skills. Wrapping that veneer around there wasn't as easy as I had imagined, but it ended up looking pretty good I thought.

Thanks for the comments!

Jason
  • gatemplin
    gatemplin Posts: 1,595
    edited August 2005
    Looks good to me. The veneer turned out really well. You cant go wrong with a John K design.
    Graham
  • jcaut
    edited August 2005
    Thanks Graham. It's nice using someone else's design. The problem with my own is that I never know when I'm done: I always think, "Well.. I can probably make it sound a little better; Better not solder it together yet.", so basically, I never get finished!
  • Mjr7531
    Mjr7531 Posts: 856
    edited August 2005
    Amazing job! I first thought you were pulling Screen Shots from the original maker's site. Fantastic!
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited August 2005
    Hella cool.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Spawndn72
    Spawndn72 Posts: 453
    edited August 2005
    So how do they sound?
    Setup:
    Adcom GFA-545 amp
    Nad 1600 pre
    Dual 704 TT
    Pioneer 707 R2R
    Pioneer DV-578A Multi-format
    Polk SDA-2 Mains
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited August 2005
    They look great. I should order a couple from solen and give this project a shot (if I can find a use for them somewhere).

The N's are round, while S's are square.