Vintage Polk's

Mr. Baskum
Mr. Baskum Posts: 8
edited August 2005 in Vintage Speakers
Hello all, I am brand new to this board,and was looking for some info on a pair of floor models I recently purchased at a super bargain price. They are RTA907455, and stand 33 inches tall (flat to the ground, no legs), 11 inches deep, with a nine inch face width. Was wondering the year, original list price,etc. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Post edited by Mr. Baskum on

Comments

• Mr. Baskum
    edited August 2005
    Me again, sorry the # is RTA9007455, left a zero out initially.
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited August 2005
    that's a serial number, not a model number.

You have a pair of RTA series speakers, there is somebody here with more knowedgle than me on which RTA you have, I think they are the RTA 8

Give the number of drivers and such, attach a picture.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited August 2005
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • Mr. Baskum
    edited August 2005
    No,but they do have the two drivers, with a silver dome tweeter in between, and the port hole is near the base, I think the year is somewhere between 88, and 90. Waiting to replace my konked out computer, so sorry no photos at this time, my backup is this rather sorry webtv unit!
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited August 2005
    If they look like this then they are RTA 8's I think. Might be 8t's or 8tl's not sure.... but here are some specs I stole off of polksda's website :) (after pic)

rta8t-04.JPG

Years of Production: 1988

Original MSRP: $650/pair

Drivers: 1 - 1" coil dome tweeter, 2 - 6.5" midrange

Dimensions: 33.5"H x 9"W x 11.5"D

Weight: 40 pounds each

Specifications
    Frequency Response:

Impedence: 6 Ohms

Recommended Power: 20 - 250 watts per channel

Efficiency: 89.5dB
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited August 2005
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Mr. Baskum
    edited August 2005
    Thanks for nailing it for me guys, those be the ones alright!
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited August 2005
    Yeah, the first ones were RTA 8TLs, just the upgraded version of what you have. I've enjoyed mine alot. One suggestion, though, is if your planning on keeping them, replace those tweeters with the Polk silk replacements. You can get them for $48 including shipping, just by mentioning that you're a member of Club Polk. :)

Enjoy
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • Mr. Baskum
    edited August 2005
    Thanks ND13, this may sound like a dumb question, but what are the advantages in gong to the silk tweeters?
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited August 2005
    Smoother high frequencies. The metal based tweeters you have now are considered "bright" by some. The replacements are not as "bright".

You would not be able to get originals if you have a problem with one of them. Then you would have to replace both, anyway.
  • Mr. Baskum
    edited August 2005
    Thanks amulford!
  • burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited August 2005
    Mr. Baskum wrote:
    Thanks amulford!

I'd disagree with that. I **love** the SL2000s.

If you replace them, rather than throw the old ones away, send them to me. I can dispose of them properly without a hazardous materials fee....
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited August 2005
    Mr. B,

This tweeter thing can become somewhat of a "buzz" topic around here. The word bright is not a bad thing in itself, means the tweeter is detailed, however, sometimes when folks here say "bright" they really mean harsh. The problem with the sl2000 is that it exhibits a standing wave somewhere around 12-13 khz, the Polk replacement tweeter addressed this wave problem. The replacement tweeter is known to be more laid back in its presentation or less bright, most folks like it, some dont. It is simply a matter of taste, room, gear etc.

RT1
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited August 2005
    I for one had no issue with the 2000 tweeters but I must say I do like the silk replacement better.