Silver Dome Tweeter replacement

Options
molsonfuzz
molsonfuzz Posts: 9
edited August 2005 in Vintage Speakers
Ok, I've been playing around with the new SDA1's that arrived last week to find out why they don't sound as awesome as they should.

I come to find out that there is no sound coming out of the two silver coil tweeters on the right channel side. I thought I was missing something on the high side, turns out it was an entire channel!

While I email the seller to see what she will do about this, is there an easy drop in replacement for the SL2000 tweeter? I know I could call Polk, but they are always closed when I get home from work, and besides you guys know the answer.
Current Setup:
Fronts: Polk SDA1-C
Center: Polk CSi3
Surround: Polk RTi4
Subwoofer: Velodyne ULD-18
Onkyo TX-SR500
Post edited by molsonfuzz on

Comments

• fredv
    fredv Posts: 923
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Call polk to buy the SL2000 (discontinued already) replacement, RD0194-1. You won't be disappointed. The price for CP member is about $52 ea, including shipping and sale tax.

Good luck,

-fredv-
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,801
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by molsonfuzz

I come to find out that there is no sound coming out of the two silver coil tweeters on the right channel side. I thought I was missing something on the high side, turns out it was an entire channel!

HUH???

Is the problem with the tweeters or is the entire right channel dead?

Which model do you have, SDA 1A or SDA 1B? If you have the 1A and the problem is the tweeters only you need to check the fuse mounted on the binding post plate before ordering new tweeters or getting pissed at the seller.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• molsonfuzz
    edited July 2005
    Options
    The problem is only with the tweeters. Sorry for the confusion. I don't see any external fuses, if they are internal, where should I look?
    Current Setup:
    Onkyo TX-SR500
  • fredv
    fredv Posts: 923
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Here is another quick check, swap the tweeters of 2 speakers. If the "silent" tweeters are indeed bad, they will have no sound from the other speaker, too.

-fredv-
  • F1nut
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Good suggestion Fred. If they are dead, then all you'll need are new ones, if they test good, then you probably have a bad polyswitch on the crossover. These are available from Polk and are a easy solder job.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• molsonfuzz
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Thanks to Eric at Polk Audio for great customer service!

Ok, it turns out the problem was the polyswitch had been bent down and was touching the capacitor leads which shorted out the tweeters. Once I bent the polyswitch back in place, the tweeters started working.
    Current Setup:
    Onkyo TX-SR500
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited August 2005
    Options
    BTW: Polk will send you new upgraded polyswitches to replace the stockers if you ask them.
  • molsonfuzz
    edited August 2005
    Options
    I've got them working right now. I had to clean a few of the connections inside, but now they sound amazing. I'll be upgrading the interconnect cable next. I'm not sure what other upgrades can be done to my SDA-1C's, but I'm sure I'll find out if I stay here on the Polk forums.
    Current Setup:
    Onkyo TX-SR500
  • F1nut
    edited August 2005
    Options
    molsonfuzz wrote:
    I'm not sure what other upgrades can be done to my SDA-1C's

Before you upgrade the I/C, replace the tweeters!!!

After that, you can upgrade the I/C, the crossovers and the binding posts.

President of Club Polk

• BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Heck, you can even make them biwireable too.
  • I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited August 2005
    Options
    BobMcG wrote:
    Heck, you can even make them biwireable too.

Some 1C's can be upgraded to be bi-wired with minimal effort.

My Studio's cannot bebi-wired w/o a MAJOR crossover re-work. If you have a separate crossover for the tweeters like Bob's 1C's, then you are good to go.

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,713
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Does someone have a parts list for the SDA-1C crossover upgtade? I have done a search, and the only thing I found was for the 2B.