A few pics of some vintage Polks/Advents/Ohms

Options
ND13
ND13 Posts: 7,601
edited August 2005 in Vintage Speakers
Just got a digital camera so I thought I'd share a few pics of some vintage speakers. Sorry about the sizing, I don't know how to make 'em any smaller. If someone knows how, please have at it:) .

Pic 1 Some RTi70s, Mon 7As, Mon 10As
"SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
Post edited by ND13 on

Comments

• ND13
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Pic 2 Mon 10As
  • ND13
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Pic 3 Mon 10As
  • ND13
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Pic 4 Very Minty RTA 8TLs
  • ND13
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Pic 5 RTA 8TLs, As you can see the tweeters are different at this time, one is the tri-lam and the other is the silk replacement. Will be replacing the other soon, but surprisingly the sound isn't that much off. They only get played with movies at this time, seeing that the I listen to the SDAs for music the majority of the time.
  • ND13
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Pic 6 RTA 8TLs
  • ND13
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Pic 7 RTA 8TLs
  • ND13
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Pic 8 Smaller Advents with new surrounds
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Dude! I used to have that VERY SAME skeleton guy in a plastic case. Was a bugger to get together :)
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • ND13
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Pic 9 Smaller Advents
  • ND13
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Pic 10 Smaller Advents/Advent Prodigy Towers, Ohm Walsh 2s
  • ND13
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Pic 11 The Monitors and RTi 70s again
  • ND13
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Pic 12 SDA 2B All the wires are from the X BOX, GC, and PS2

I've got to get the Murphy's oil soap after the SDAs, they need a bath.
  • Mike682
    Mike682 Posts: 2,074
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Sweet speakers....

Check out your camera's software to resize the pics..usually under file, edit.....or view, resize..

You can also set most cameras to take diff size pics..for example, when I take pics to post here, I'll set my camera to 640x480..

Mike
    Receiver: harmankardon AVR235
    Mains: polk R30
    Center: polk CSi3
    Rear Surrounds: polk R20
    Subwoofer: polk PSW404
    DVD: Panasonic DVD-S29
  • ND13
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by Mike682
    Sweet speakers....

Check out your camera's software to resize the pics..usually under file, edit.....or view, resize..

You can also set most cameras to take diff size pics..for example, when I take pics to post here, I'll set my camera to 640x480..

Mike

Thanks, I'll look into it.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Wow. The speaker broker. LOL

Noel, I resized your pics. You can save them to your 'putie and edit the posts if you like. Use the "Upload new attachment" option, do a browse for the new pic (they are numbered in post order) and it will replace the original one.

http://home.comcast.net/~scompracer/nd13pics/1.jpg
    http://home.comcast.net/~scompracer/nd13pics/2.jpg
    http://home.comcast.net/~scompracer/nd13pics/3.jpg
    http://home.comcast.net/~scompracer/nd13pics/4.jpg
    http://home.comcast.net/~scompracer/nd13pics/5.jpg
    http://home.comcast.net/~scompracer/nd13pics/6.jpg
    http://home.comcast.net/~scompracer/nd13pics/7.jpg
    http://home.comcast.net/~scompracer/nd13pics/8.jpg
    http://home.comcast.net/~scompracer/nd13pics/9.jpg
    http://home.comcast.net/~scompracer/nd13pics/10.jpg
    http://home.comcast.net/~scompracer/nd13pics/11.jpg
    http://home.comcast.net/~scompracer/nd13pics/12.jpg

Along with sizing, check your camera that its saving images as jpegs. jpegs sacrifice some detail for a smaller file size (3.5MB
    versus 50KB). Smaller file size allows for faster uploads so more folks will have the opportunity to see the pics of your speaker collection
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • ND13
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Thanks Rich. Call me @xxxxxxxxx so you can walk me thru replacing the pics. I'm not good at that type of stuff. I'm surprised I even got the pics up in the first place, and with nobody helping me either.

Oh and it's an addiction with me:D
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Noel,

Nice pictures of vintage Polks!

Carl
    Carl

• gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Gotta love those Ohms!
    Make it Funky! :)
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Nice collection, start thinking about what you like best and sell the rest.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,080
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Noel,

Give us (me) your impressions of the Ohm Walsh's. Have you had a chance to really listen to them compared to the SDA's and especially the RTA-8's. The Walsh has always been a speaker that peaked my interest but can't say I've known anyone that owned a pair. Kicking the idea around of maybe getting a used pair to satisfy my curiosity.

Of course as much detail as possible.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited July 2005
    Options
    I had a pair of Ohm Walsh 2's awhile ago. They have an open soundstage, unlike most conventional speakers, but the high end lacked detail. Bass was acceptable, nothing crazy. It's a neat speaker as far as design, but they didn't last for me. Just a couple comments, your mileage may vary.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • heiney9
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by dorokusai
    I had a pair of Ohm Walsh 2's awhile ago. They have an open soundstage, unlike most conventional speakers, but the high end lacked detail. Bass was acceptable, nothing crazy. It's a neat speaker as far as design, but they didn't last for me. Just a couple comments, your mileage may vary.

Thanks for the reply Doro
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • ND13
    edited July 2005
    Options
    H9,

The Ohm's have always been one of the "most intriguing" pair of speakers from my youth. I remember reading all the audio rags when I was a kid and seeing the ads and reviews for these and wishing I had a set. I wasn't disappointed. They have a "well above average" soundstage, but different from the SDAs. The room I have them in is way too big for the Walsh 2s. If I decide to keep them I'm going to set them up in the master bedroom. I don't want to pass any further judgement on them till i get them set up properly. They are in the warmer class of speakers,imo. Be patient and I'll let you know, soon, whether I'm going to keep them or not.

I picked these up from caseymou for $225. That's well below what the last pair on Ebay went for. The last time I saw the auction it was already up to $375 with 2 days left. They weren't in any better shape than mine and probably worse. There are only a few minor issues with these that in no way harms the SQ. I'll keep you posted on these.

• heiney9
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by ND13
    H9,

The Ohm's have always been one of the "most intiguing" pair of speakers from my youth. I remember reading all the audio rags when I was a kid and seeing the ads and reviews for these and wishing I had a set. I wasn't disappointed. They have a "well above average" soundstage, but different from the SDAs. The room I have them in is way to big for the Walsh 2s. If I decide to keep them I'm going to set them up in the master bedroom. I don't want to pass any further judgement on them till i get them set up properly. They are in the warmer class of speakers,imo. Be patient and I'll let you know, soon, whether I'm going to keep them or not.

I picked these up from caseymou for $225. That's well below what the last pair on Ebay went for. The last time I saw the auction it was already up to $375 with 2 days left. They weren't in any better shape than mine and probably worse. There are only a few minor issues with these that in no way harms the SQ. I'll keep you posted on these.

I'll also let you know whether or not I'm going to keep them.

Thanks Noel, no hurry on the purchase. I too remember these from my younger days. Reading all the audio articles on them. I'm kicking myself because a few years ago I tossed out all my Stereo Review mags. I had a subscription from about 1980-1990. I really wish I still had those to use as reference material.

I remember lusting after Allison Acoustics, EPI, OHM, Altec Lansing, Polk, Advent and even the Blose 901 series. In 1980 I was 14 years old and just getting into audio.

H9
  • ND13
    edited July 2005
    Options
    We're the same age or real close, so we probably were reading the same articles;) .
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited July 2005
    Options
    heiney/ND:
    I'm a few years older, but remembering reading/demoing all those brands as well as Infinity and ADS. I did sell the Ohms while working for an Appliance store. I brought in my then new Celestion SL6si to compare. The ohm's sounded old, lacking any soundstage. But they could fill the big showroom with sound.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • ND13
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by markmarc
    heiney/ND:
    The ohm's sounded old, lacking any soundstage. But they could fill the big showroom with sound.

Maybe it was the positioning, I don't know. Mine have a better SS than most speakers, that I've heard, in the same size and pricepoint. I've never heard the Celestions, so I can't compare. I just know what mine sound like in my setting. Everyone else's mileage may vary.;)
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by ND13
    Maybe it was the positioning, I don't know. Mine have a better SS than most speakers, that I've heard, in the same size and pricepoint.

The Ohms you have sure sounded impressive in that large space we auditioned them in over at caseymous.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • ND13
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by SCompRacer
    The Ohms you have sure sounded impressive in that large space we auditioned them in over at caseymous.

Yeah, and that was a freakin' open garage with no walls anywhere near them, concrete floor, etc, etc....
  • landry_p2000
    landry_p2000 Posts: 1,313
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Those RTi70s look great, Noel. Those will make an excellent 2-channel rig with a sub.

If I hook up another set of speakers to my current receiver on the "B" speaker terminals, would the sub play with them also. If so, that would be my option until I get a hold of more gear.
    Main Set-up: 55" 120 hz Samsung LN55B650, Onkyo TX-SR806, Emotiva XPA-5, Emotiva XPA-2, PS3 Slim, Sony BDP-S560, Apple TV (160g), Panamax M5300-PM, Polk Audio CSi5, RTi10's, FXi3's, RTi4's, and SVS PB12 Plus

Bedroom: Panasonic 50" S2 Plasma and Panasonic BD65 blu-ray player, Onkyo TX-SR707, Emotiva XPA-3, Emotiva UPA-2, KEF IQ7's, IQc, IQ8Ds, and SVS PB10-ISD