Monitor 7A

Options
ND13
ND13 Posts: 7,601
edited July 2005 in Vintage Speakers
I'm picking up a pair of Monitor 7As tonight after work. I'm getting them from the original owner. He says they're in excellent condition and he's never blown a fuse, ever.

What tweeter came in the 7As?

What is a fair market value for an excellent pair?

What issues should I keep a lookout for?
"SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
Post edited by ND13 on

Comments

• nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited July 2005
    Options
    While I can't find the original 7's on the parts list, The 7b and early 7c's ran SL1000's, so I'm guessing that's what you'll get. Not a bad tweeter...
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • ND13
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by nadams
    While I can't find the original 7's on the parts list, The 7b and early 7c's ran SL1000's, so I'm guessing that's what you'll get. Not a bad tweeter...

I've seen several sets that had the peerless, and I was hoping these have thems. I likes peerless. I have them in my Mon 10As.
  • jtgranby
    jtgranby Posts: 887
    edited July 2005
    Options
    My 7b's have peerless tweeters.
    JT
  • ND13
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Picked them up last night and they are the 7As. Have the peerless(f@#$ yes). After getting them home and cleaning them up, they are in very good to excellent condition cosmetically and excellent sonically.

They were just a little dusty and crusty. I used a little Murphy's oil soap to clean the cabinets and a vinegar solution for the drivers. I must say for a 26-30 year old pair of speakers, they are pretty much as nice as one could imagine, unless they were in the boxes. I'm going to borrow a digital camera and take some pics tonight. I'll put up on Monday.

The owner bought them before he got married, which was 26 years ago. He couldn't remember how long before, but he's estimating they're at least 28.

So far I have only listened to them for about an hour and since they're sitting on top of my SDAs, I can't be critical. I will say that in conjunction with the sub, they sound very nice and smooth. Kinda like SDAs without the cable, nice wide SS and pinpoint imaging. I can't say that the bass response is great, yet, because of placement and the large room they're in(475 sq ft).

Will get pics up asap.
  • ND13
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Picture 1
    7a2.jpg 72.6K
  • ND13
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Pic 2
    7a3.jpg 69.6K
  • ND13
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Pic 3
    7a4.jpg 64.7K
  • ND13
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Pic 4
    7a5.jpg 73.4K
  • ND13
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Pic 5
    7a6.jpg 67.2K
  • ND13
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Pic 6
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Good God man, we get it, 7a's congrats!

Like a friggin photo shoot in here.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2005
    Options
    You forgot to take pictures of the bottoms.

Your camera should have come with some generic photo editing software. Get the book out, and get your read on.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • ND13
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    You forgot to take pictures of the bottoms.

Your camera should have come with some generic photo editing software. Get the book out, and get your read on.

The bottoms are just a little scratched up, not bad for 28?year olds. I'll get that book out when I get home tonight and get my read on:p .
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • SCompRacer
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Good job!
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Wow those really are mint... congrats on the good find.
  • ND13
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by michael_w
    Wow those really are mint... congrats on the good find.

Thanks Michael and Rich(for the resize help;) )

Yeah, they are nice, a few surface scratches here and there, Nothing to worry about. I need to find some stands for them that are about the same height as the one's that are attached to the bottom of the Mon 10As.
  • michael_w
    edited July 2005
    Options
    If you are up to making your own stands Mark (doro) has posted some plans to making some.

~ Link to stands ~

I havn't tried stands with my Monitor 7's yet but someday when I get the room to utilize stands I will.
  • SCompRacer
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by ND13
    Thanks Michael and Rich(for the resize help;) )

I need to find some stands for them that are about the same height as the one's that are attached to the bottom of the Mon 10As.

Your welcome.

I might have some fine looking Oak stands at home I could make you a great deal on. That is if the wife hasn't got em earmarked for a leaning plant stand.....

I'll dig em up and measure them when I get back home.
  • ND13
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by SCompRacer
    Your welcome.

I might have some fine looking Oak stands at home I could make you a great deal on. That is if the wife hasn't got em earmarked for a leaning plant stand.....

I'll dig em up and measure them when I get back home.

Cool let me know:)
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited July 2005
    Options
    The pictures I posted are Polk factory original stands. Thanks to Mike for addressing that thread.

That's a very nice pair of 7's, not the oldest in the crew, but very nice. The paper PR and hand doped midrange drivers are a dead giveaway of REAL old Monitors.

The Monitor line is all over the place when it comes to one driver or another, specifically tweeters. They were manufactured with what was available at the time. The only "accurate" MON7 is the 7C....other than that, you get what you get, period.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • michael_w
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Yeah trying to identify monitor's can be quite the challenge since they went through so many undocumented (or rarely documented) changes. I'm still not sure if mine are 7b's or 7c's :p
  • SCompRacer
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by ND13
    Cool let me know:)

These may be on the small size for those speakers. The dimensions of mine are:

Base: 11" X 11"
    Height: 8"
    Stand: 8 & 1/2" X 8 & 1/2"
    Tilt: 4 Degrees

No holes in them or provisions for spikes. They have four pads stuck to the bottom for use on hard wood floors.

$20 shipped if your interested.
  • ND13
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by SCompRacer
    These may be on the small size for those speakers. The dimensions of mine are:

Base: 11" X 11"
    Height: 8"
    Stand: 8 & 1/2" X 8 & 1/2"
    Tilt: 4 Degrees

No holes in them or provisions for spikes. They have four pads stuck to the bottom for use on hard wood floors.

$20 shipped if your interested.

I'll take them, they'll work for one of my sets, if not the 7s:D . I'll pm the addy.
  • nadams
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Damn, coulda used them for the monitor 10's. Where'd you get 'em from, SCompRacer?
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • SCompRacer
    edited July 2005
    Options
    I got them from a United Audio dealer in the early 80's with some Infinity RS5000A speakers.
  • ND13
    edited July 2005
    Options
    How much for the floor?:D
  • nadams
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Off topic, I'm looking at these for my monitor 10's http://www.racksandstands.com/prods/Wood-Technology/FGH-8E-FGH-8O/0PWT0075.htm

They have spikes built in, so if I do end up getting these, the spikes I won in a karma will be rekarmaed to some lucky person :D
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • ND13
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Those look real nice.
  • nadams
    edited July 2005
    Options